Thread: Homework Help

Official Ghost of the LPA
    This is just a place where you can (hopefully) get help with your homework. Just don't let your parents find out. :wth:
    OK, I'm in the middle of my short story and my main characters are riding their bikes into the city in Albany, New York. Should I have everything go perfect, or should something bad happen? (e.g. Popped tire, gang attack, etc.)

P.S., I wasn't sure if this should be a Random Thoughts thing, so if it should, go ahead and close it.
    I joined LPA at age 11. I'm now the Official Ghost of LPA - just so you know.

Popped tire!!

enfestid
    Make Albany a zombie city, replace the bikes with an alligator, have one of the kids wearing track spikes and one accidentally touches the alligator with them and the alligator gets mad because it didn't realize the kids were on him.

Tah-dah!

I have no idea what is going on Nikki's Avatar
    hmm..there's normally a general template for all stories, I can't remember the exact one but it's something like:

Introduction --> Problem --> Resolution --> end

so I say gang attack >_>'

OK, I'm assuming this won't be closed. I'll use Kat's idea, because I'm not sure how a tire would pop besides a nail or broken glass. And this thread is for everyone, so go ahead and ask about your own homework if you want.

LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Make sure you present a reason for the attack, maybe you should have a back story of your characters that they p*ssed one of the gang members off in the past and one of them recognized the character thus a reason to attack.

Just remember, the whole story has to make sense.

Check Out AltWire - My Latest Project

HELP THE LPA:

Originally posted by Derek@May 3 2004, 04:34 PM
    Make sure you present a reason for the attack, maybe you should have a back story of your characters that they p*ssed one of the gang members off in the past and one of them recognized the character thus a reason to attack.

Don't worry Derek, I'll make it logical, but then again, who said a gang needs a reson to attack an innocent 13-year-old?

Originally posted by _matt_+May 3 2004, 07:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_matt_ @ May 3 2004, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Derek@May 3 2004, 04:34 PM

Don&#39;t worry Derek, I&#39;ll make it logical, but then again, who said a gang needs a reson to attack an innocent 13-year-old? [/b][/quote]
    Make it so that they tried to take him and his best friend&#39;s money. Yeah it could be considered stereotypical, but muggings happen alot in the crime filled areas.

Is Albany a crime filled area?

Edit: I&#39;ll use your idea Derek. Pretty soon I&#39;ll have to put "Written By Matt [Last name that I won&#39;t tell you] and the members of the Linkin Park Association.

enfestid
    I had to make a sci-fi (not sure if you need that) short story a while back for English... here it is, if you need any ideas. It completely sucks, though, so I wouldn&#39;t recommend trying to copy it.

Rain dripped down the porcelain-like face of Peter Yashin. Soaking wet, Peter hurried out of the storm and into the Plexiglas New York city building where he worked. Slowly placing his coat on the terminal station, he noticed that the building was completely empty with the exception of his presence.

“Hello?” he cried, only to be responded by the same question but with a more metallic sounding vibration. Once more he cried out into the lonely building, only to be greeted by the same response.

Though he thought it odd, it slipped his mind and assumed he must be the first to arrive to work for the day. Peter walked briskly towards the main elevator, located in the central area of the building. Fumbling through his papers, he noticed the elevators seemed to not be working as he pressed the translucent-red button becoming more and more agitated.

“Great... First day back and it’s already off to a bad start,” he thought to himself.

Pacing towards the stairs, he noticed that everything inside seemed to be working on its own, with the exception of the elevators. The clocks all read ‘5:59AM’ and the date of ‘January 31st, 2093’ was displaying just below.

Peter headed to his office on the 43rd floor when he noticed that everything wasn’t exactly working as well as he believed it was. Every clock was stuck on 5:59AM, though it was obvious it took him much longer to scale the 43 stories. Again, he thought it odd but convinced himself it must be a glitch with the integrity of the building. After all, the building Peter worked in was ancient for it’s time, having been made in 2026 during the stock-market boom and America’s attempt to regain it’s “world power” status from the likes of China.

Everywhere he looked, a clock read 5:59AM. Peter turned to his left and a clock read 5:59AM. Peter looked to his right to see a non-electronic clock which also read 5:59AM.

“That’s impossible,” he thought to himself, “that clock runs on an alternate energy source from the entire building. Kinetic energy... They said that those kind of clocks used kinetic energy to tell the time.”

Exasperated by this, Peter ripped the clock off of the wall and threw it on the ground with a thunderous crash. One would think that this would cause the clock’s magnificent electronics to break and at least cause the clock to move forward 5 minutes or so, but no such instance happened. Infuriated, Peter tried to change the time on the clock manually. Grinning to himself, he knew this had to work. You can override kinetic clocks by manually entering the time, he recalled.

5:59AM.

“There must be something wrong with this damn clock,” Peter silently cursed to himself, only to forget that all the other electronic clocks read 5:59AM, as well. Remembering this, Peter sighed to himself. There must have been some sort of practical joke going on that he was left out of the loop for. There was no way something this weird would go on in a perfect world where electronics were never wrong.

Recalling that the building had an automated computer which was capable of telling the time of day and weather, Peter asked the building immediately.

“What’s the current time, Lisa?” Peter asked the building politely.

An electronic voice quickly came to life and pronounced, “5:59AM, Mr. Yashin. The weather is currentl—”

Peter cut the building off.

Suddenly Peter realized everything was standing still, with the exception of the weather outside. Or was that an exception?

Peter looked outside only to be shocked that the rain was frozen mid-air, with liquid droplets right outside his window, inches away from hitting. The air inside the building was crisp, but cold. It was as if a Peter was a ghost, standing around, stuck in time. Everything was still, nothing moving. Up until this point, Peter hadn’t noticed it. The reason why it seemed to him that the rain was falling was because he was driving his personal hovercraft through the rain causing an impact on the windshield. As soon as he got out, Peter recalled, he started running towards the building to get inside and out of the rain. He hadn’t bothered to notice everything around him was frozen.

Once again, Peter called out into the large building, yelling for anyone.

“Hello?” Peter queried out in a shrill cry, once again greeted by only one vibrating, metallic voice which was obviously his echo.

Peter walked back down the excruciating 43 flights of stairs, gasping for breath at the bottom. When he got to the bottom, he immediately went outside to make sure his eyes were not betraying him.

As soon as Peter was outside, he noticed the sky turned to a fuzzy, distorted image. It’s the image that everyone sees when the TV is turned on to a non-operational channel...

“Something’s wrong,” a thunderous voice cried.

Peter stood back in disbelief... It was as if God had just talked to him, but it obviously wasn’t God.

“Turn it off, it’s broken... It got stuck again. It’s on 5:59AM this time.”

Silence.

With a quick glisten, the sky vaporized right in front of Peter... The same image that’s seen whenever a TV is turned off.
    EDIT: I should probably edit this short story for grammar... but I&#39;m lazy. Sorry. lol

It doesn&#39;t suck&#33; In fact, I think it was really good.
    The rest of the day, I stayed quiet. When it was time for me to go to sleep, I couldn’t. I couldn’t stop thinking about the stunt we were to pull in about ten hours. Would I sink or swim? I’d brought myself to a point of no return. Once you decide to do something that could mean the difference between life and death of someone, it’s hard to change your mind. You’re stuck in the middle, not knowing which way to go. It’s like an obstacle; do you take a chance and try to jump it, or do you turn around and try to find another way? Slowly everything went dark. Finally I fell into a deep sleep.
    ^that&#39;s a short piece of what I&#39;m working on.

I have no idea what is going on Nikki's Avatar
    I actually like this idea. It&#39;s really apropiate considering GCSES are coming up for those in secondary (poor b*****ds ), AS/A-Levels for us (b*****ks).

So yeah we could work something out with this. Thanks for the idea mate =)

Originally posted by _matt_@May 3 2004, 08:06 PM
    The rest of the day, I stayed quiet. When it was time for me to go to sleep, I couldn’t. I couldn’t stop thinking about the stunt we were to pull in about ten hours. Would I sink or swim? I’d brought myself to a point of no return. Once you decide to do something that could mean the difference between life and death of someone, it’s hard to change your mind. You’re stuck in the middle, not knowing which way to go. It’s like an obstacle; do you take a chance and try to jump it, or do you turn around and try to find another way? Slowly everything went dark. Finally I fell into a deep sleep.
    I like the the perspective you wrote the story in, its always better when you show the thought process of your character rather then try to explain everything from a higher perspective. In my opinion it adds a personal aspect to the story.

Great job.

Extremely H! Vltg3
    i think this topic as opened a few days too late i had a assignment that i desperatly needed help with.

if anyone wants to read half or a really boring book for me that would be good

Originally posted by Derek+May 3 2004, 07:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Derek @ May 3 2004, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--_matt_@May 3 2004, 08:06 PM
    I like the the perspective you wrote the story in, its always better when you show the thought process of your character rather then try to explain everything from a higher perspective. In my opinion it adds a personal aspect to the story.

Great job. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks.

There should be a smiley like your sig. I&#39;ll check IPB World later.

I'm Not Obsessed!!!
    ok-does anyone know the chemical formula for ethanoic acid?

uhmmmmm, ethanol= C2H6O

H3C-CH2-O-H

I&#39;m not sure but it&#39;s something like that.

EDIT: sorry if I caused you any damage, because it&#39;s not really the right one. I take full responsibility&#33; (the first one is an alcohol, the second an acid)
    here&#39;s the correct one:

ethanoic acid=CH3COOH

....................H O
    ..................../ //
    ...............H-C-C-OH
    ................../
    .................H

* I hope I read my final exam questions of chemics better than I do yours *

(how do you centre something?)

Thread Information