How to administer a pill to a cat
1. Pick up the cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of catís mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth.
2. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
3. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
4. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw away soggy pill.
5. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
6. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call partner in from garden.
7. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold catís head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub catís throat vigorously.
8. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
9. Wrap cat in a large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with catís head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of a drinking straw, force catís mouth open with pencil and blow down straw.
10. Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans, drink a beer to take away the taste. Apply Band-aid to partnerís forearm and remove blood from the carpet with soap and water.
11. Retrieve cat from neighbourís shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck so as to leave the head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
12. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch scotch. Pour a shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check date of last tetanus jab. Apply whisky compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
13. Ring fire brigade to retrieve the effing cat from the tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.
14. Tie the little barstewardís front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of the dining table. Find heavy pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertical and pour two pints of water down catís throat to wash down pill.
15. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the A&E, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill from your eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
16. Arrange for RSPCA to collect the mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see whether they have any guinea pigs.
How to administer a pill to a dog
1. Wrap it in bacon