Describe Your Town

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Mark, Mar 7, 2004.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Let's see how well this catches on. I think it's interesting, talking about where people live. Just to get a better picture of everyone's surroundings.

Mine and Aaron's town, St. John's, Newfoundland, is the most eastern city in North America, as it borders on the Atlantic Ocean. We were discovered in 1497 by a European named John Cabot, and I believe we were the first place in North America discovered by Europeans sailors. St. John's, the capital of Newfoundland, is a huge bowl-shaped town, about a 35 minute drive across (if you count the airport on the far-eastern side). One part of St. John's, Shea Heights, is set on a hilside filled with trees. On the other side of this hill, it's the Atlantic Ocean. The western and eastern parts of St. John's are resedential and commercial places, neighbourhoods are filled with thousands of houses, and dozens of schools and restaurants, a couple of malls, churches, supermarkets, along with many other stores. The western side of town where I live is called Cowan Heights, which is home to a couple of schools and churches, and around 15,000 - 20,000 people. It's hilly and fully paved, and filled with long strips of houses and cul-de-sacs, it's a huge neighbourhood. The east-end has even more people (it's the bigger part of town) and is home to the most important places in town. Our historic Downtown is home to Mile One Stadium (home of our American Hockey League team, the St. John's Maple Leafs, an affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs), and the adjacent City Hall. Other important places are Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN), the Confederation building (a 12-15 floor government building), the Avalon Mall (huge 2 story mall filled with stores, a theatre, restaurants, etc), and the entire mini-metropolis of the surrounding Stavenger Drive (like a really long strip of megastores, bigger than your average store). All in all there's 2 malls (one huge one and one smaller sized one), at least 50 schools, 125,000 people, many megastores, lots of restuarants, and millions of trees surrounding the area. There's not much crime (it's very safe, actually), and our economy is on the rise. Some people may think eastern canada is boring, but in actual fact, it's really not. We're really nice people and people often like to come back after visiting the first time.

Aaron, if you want to add something, go ahead.

There's my town, how about yours?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

My town is pretty boring, so I'm going to tell everyone about Cleveland. lol.

Cleveland is home to the world-famous (yes, the world-famous) Cleveland Browns. They are the only professional football team with a world-wide fan club, which is pretty crazy. Cleveland is also home to the Cleveland Indians and the Cleveland Caveliers. As some of you may know, LeBron James, the phenomenal rookie, plays for the Cavs. The city is also home to the Terminal Tower, which was once the tallest building in the world and is still in the top 20 tallest buildings in the world (I think it has something like 27 floors). Cleveland is also the home to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The city's also home to 3 pretty famous rock bands: Mushroomhead, Chimaira and Sw1tched. Cleveland is also home to a lot of other famous musical artists like David Bowie, and famous actors and actresses like Drew Carey and Halle Berry. Cleveland is also the home to the Cuyahoga River, which caught fire in the '70s due to pollution (which is something EVERYBODY wants to be remembered for, I'm sure).

Then there's Canton, which is only about 2 hours from me. Canton is home to the NFL's Pro Football Hall of Fame.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I'll tell you about my favorite city in the world, Chicago, instead of boring you with the boring city I'm living in right now.

I used to live near the Southwest side, pretty close to where "The Projects" were. Downtown is about 20 minutes from there, it's always crowded and most people would rather walk than drive. There's Sears Tower, Chicago Tribune building, the famous Uno's Pizza, Navy Pier with the Ferris Wheels, and lots more. The city's pretty poor and you might not be impressed with the bumpy roads but the people there are amazing. Theres always the hype about Wrigley Field. Although I guarantee I'm the biggest Cub-hater and Sox fan on this board, I'll admit Wrigley is pretty impressive. Anyone here live near Chicago?

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Before it became a borough in 1885, Mossley was divided between three counties. Brookbottom (Top Mossley) and Bottoms (Bottom Mossley) were in Lancashire. This part of the town was historically part of the old parish of Ashton. Quickedge, Milton and Roughtown were in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The part to the east of the River Tame, including Micklehurst, was in Cheshire. The borough became part of Lancashire until 1974, when it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside.

High on the eastern sky-line of Mossley is Buckton Castle, an iron age hill fort. The remains of the defensive ridge and ditch are still to be seen. Below it, and forming a boundary between the steep moorland and the enclosed fields, an ancient road way runs around the hillside. The Romans made use of this road and paved part of it, using it as a route between the camps of Melandra (Glossop) and Castleshaw (Saddleworth).

The area was at one time densely forested but over many years, the trees were mostly felled and the hillsides used to graze sheep. Wool production became the chief industry, with many weaver's cottages being built, incorporating a weaving room. When powered looms were invented, woollen mills and later, cotton mills were constructed in the valley.

The earliest settlements in the area, such as Brookbottom and Roughtown, were high above the valley of the River Tame. With the building of the canal and later the railway, along with the mills being constructed along the valley bottom, Mossley spread out to fill the valley.

Although textile production has ceased, many of the mills are now used for other purposes, while others have been replaced by modern factories. Mossley has a well-used railway station and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, closed for fifty years, has recently been re-opened.

<div align=center>[​IMG]</div>

Fear. <_>

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I don't know if you can consider where I live a town, but eh, whatever :p.

I live on Oahu in one of the busiest cities on the island, Honolulu. I sort of live between the 'ghetto' and downtown. Uh... Honolulu is home of the state capitol, and Oahu is the island where the governer lives. I don't think anyone famous really came from Oahu... Or... Honolulu. About 10 minutes from where I live is the famous Waikiki beach, I guess it's famous, I don't know. Then about an hour away, there's Pipeline, where surfers go every year for competitions or something.

Good God I live in one hell of a boring place :lol:. Funny thing is, I've never been outside the islands. I've only traveled to the other islands, but never to the mainland or anything :(.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

My town is pretty boring as well. It is called Dalton in the good ol state of Massachusetts. It is about an hour from Albany and about 30-40 minutes from the border of NY. It is near Pittsfield on the western side. We are known mostly for our paper making company: Crane and Company. They make the paper for all of your money. The town was founded around 1784. The high school is Wahconah. We hosted a competition play this year for schools competing in Western Mass. If you keep going east pass our town, we consider it the hick towns of Windsor, Cummington, Peru, and Becket. Western Mass has a lot of State and Country names for towns like Florida, Peru, and Washington.

There was rumored to be a treasure buried on a mountain in our town. Books say that the Germans buried treasure during the Revolutionary War in a ravine between October Mt and another name I forget. My bro was researching that for a while. Pretty interesting stuff. I think it's near my house cause my road basically separates the two mountains.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I live in reddish/manchester/England

Its a small town with quite a few council estate houses.
    But I live in a good area of housing.
    Half of reddish is filled with little 10 year old wanna be gangsters.
    The rest of us are sk8ers or people who hate sk8ers.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

What are you? A Sk8er?

Meteora89

Meteora89 Well-Known Member

well i live in the northern most part of Delaware USA, in a small town called Claymont. Well theres nothing much to describe, life is not all that boring here, there are lots of stores and malls around that me and my friends go to. I live in a safe area called Northridge, it has many kids most of them i know but they are mostly around 10 years old. I go to a place called Mount Pleasent high, but its as pleasent as you think. Its nick name is Mount Pregnant almost every single girl is pregnant. The teachers are b*tches are give out to much work. my community is full of old people also but its cool, the things i do for fun are to skate, bmx, and just hang with my friends. There arent many other skaters or bmxers around so i mostly do it bymyself. :(

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

:lol:

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

I live in a town of about 10,000 people that fit in one square mile. Small Town America. There are two sides to my town, because the pike runs across it, so there are two elementary schools, and one main high school around the corner from me. It doesn't really have alot of history, but we have had two battleships named after soliders who died in battle from our town ::shrugs::. There's just about nothing to do here except for play sports. It's a small town so any information you tell to anyone gets around in about 2 hours. -_-. and thats about it

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Wow, I'd love to live where Mark or Keaton lives. :mellow: It sounds great.

Well, I live in a medium sized town in Illinois called Salem. It's about 20 minutes north to south from each city limit and about 30 minutes east to west from each city limit.

There are about 15,000 - 20,000 people, and it's usually pretty quiet. We have 3 main parts of town: Downtown(about 5,000 people), Uptown(about 11,000), and Little Egypt(about 2,000).

Downtown is where Denny's, Burger King, Hucks, Bigfoot Gas, Pizza Hut, Super Wal-Mart, ect and atleast 3 really big Plazas. We also have 4 Car Dealerships there.

Uptown we have Chico's(American Mexican restaurant that has amazing sanchoes (they are like soft tacos but they are twice as big), and nachoes; it's my favorite place to eat. We have a McDonalds, Hardees, a chinese buffet, Lonestar, Dairy Queen, and atleast 5 other popular restaurants. We also have a couple of gas stations: C-Mart, Moto-Mart, another Bigfoot Gas, Casey's, ect. Then we have about 5 banks, Union Planters, Bank Of America, I don't remember the others. And then we have various businesses, a JC Penny's, Sam Goody's, hair cut places, an airport, mini malls. 4 Churches, and a bunch of little motels. And then we have 1 big High School, 3 Elementary schools, 2 kindgergartens and various daycares/preschools.

Little Egypt is a small part of town where we have our parades, and our crash derby's, Motocross, 4-Wheeler racing, all of that kind of stuff. 1 gas station, a lot of houses, a bank, more houses, and 2 churches.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

I think you pretty much covered it all, Mark. :lol:

I myself live in the East End. There are plenty of megastores in the area, and I jsut live on the border of King William Estates. That's where are the big, rich, and high powered people live. Well, not always so high powered. But you do get to see your share of nice cars down that way. :p

The East End itself is fairly quite, well, it was until the frigging government went and extended the TCH through the area, but fortunatly, my house isn't located next to it.

If you ever get the chance, or want to take a vacation, come to Newfoundland. We need the money.

:lol:

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

My town is a typical suburban town, everything and everyone around here revolves around the Granite City Steel Mill, it's pretty much all we have to depend on. About 2 years ago, the Steel Mill was about to be shut down by the government, so a few residents from here sought out a company to buy it. My family wouldn't have been affected, but I know a lot of people that would have. Granite City is a over-river suburb of St. Louis, and most of it's population are either middle or low class. There's one high school here, and it's pretty populated, crowded hallways and low budgets. It's been getting bigger over the last few years, more people are starting to move here and situate themselves. Not much to go on about...

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I live in Hialeah, Florida. It's small. They had a saying for it. Excuse any misspellings. Aqua fango y factoria. Now there are no factories. The new saying is Aqua fango y boceria. Again, excuse any misspellings. I can't spell in Spanish.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

I live in Oxnard, California, a small town that just celebrated its centennial. Not much goes on around here. The town got its name when a man named Henry T. Oxnard, founder of the old sugar beet factory, wanted to call the town Zachar. (Greek for "Sugar"). Since phones in 1903 were very "staticy", the government official couldn't understand him. Oxnard got p*ssed off and yelled "Just call it Oxnard!", hence, my town. The greatest thing that happened recently is that they built a Quizno's less than a mile from my house. :) Right now, Oxnard is the most populated city in Ventura County with 180-something-thousand people as of who knows when. I'll tell more later.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Alright... This is going to be weird and not make much sense.

I live in a place called Pine Rivers. It's just a heap of different suburbs on the north side of Brisbane (Queensland, Australia). It's basically got a heap of schools, shops (or malls :p ), and just sports ground and typical stuff that you don't see in big cities very much. Most of it seems like we live out in the bush (well, the part where I live is) but it’s got all those stupid places with houses that are so close together that if you stick your arm out the window you are touching your neighbours house. It’s really boring around here. There is a lot of trees here. The end.

I can talk a little about Brisbane if anyone wants to know the basic stuff.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I live in Chesterfield, MO, and the place is a rich upper class snobby shithole :D

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I live in Bradenton, FL. Very boring place indeed.. There's not too many events. In Orlando we have the biggest McDonalds in the world. But I never go there lol. We also have Disney World which is cool. It's not in Bradenton, but it is in the state. Bradenton is right next to Sarasota, it's full of snobs where I live. Everyone just cares about themselves usually. I live in like the woods. No, not the woods.. I just live in like, a small area. Full of a pack of people that have children like 2 days a week hahaha. I'd wanna switch with you Keaton! I still do, the offers still available you know. :lol:

ella1432

ella1432 Well-Known Member

i live in Bath, Uk, which is technically a city but does that count?
    anyway, it's all Georgian and touristy and stuff and you get people taking pictures of your front door. (really)
    there is a mental asylum opposite us (i'm not kidding)
    and loads of churches and stuff.
    all of the cinemas have been closed so i am totally cut off from films
    there are loads of clubs though :D