The Future Of Music

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Radical Dreamer, Feb 27, 2004.

Have the RIAA lawsuits put you off downloading music?

If not, do you think CDs will become obsolete one day? What do you prefer: CDs or MP3s? I'd rather own a CD than have a song digitally stored on my hard drive or MP3 player, I love seeing things like album art and liner notes but this is only possible if CD prices are lowered, which doesn't seem to be happening where I live.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Of course CD's will eventually become obsolete. Just like the A-Track & Records, we'll find a more advanced way.

As for if I prefer CD's or MP3's: I like CD's, mainly for the extra stuff they usually come with, and the artwork. I like to have MP3's for my home use, and CD's for when I go out somewhere, you know?

Yeah.

limited_edition

limited_edition Well-Known Member

I like cds: if its just one song i would like i would get it as an mp3 but i like the artwork and the extra stuff and the cds are alot more stronger its harder to scratch them :D

Hopefully not in my lifetime. I'd hate having to update my entire CD collection. :rolleyes:

:lol:

dips

dips Banned

For how to tote them around, I'd like mini disc's. It'd be a hell of a lot more easier to carry them around, and still have the disc in hand.

As for the musical talents, music is going to SH*T!!!! >_<

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Hopefully not in my lifetime. I'd hate having to update my entire CD collection. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    technically you wouldn't have to do that.

since, in 2004, we don't really have the technology needed to advance to something beyond CD's, by the time that comes around, you'll be able to just convert your CD's into whatever the new thing is.

Right now, it looks like the new thing is going to be MP3's. You can fit ALOT more songs on a customized CD that you can only play in an MP3 player, so maybe they'll just update CD's, and put the MP3 technology on it, so then they can fit 200+ songs on one CD. This way, no more box sets. Now, bands don't have to decide which songs to pick for their new CD, they can use them all.

Concert Set-lists would be better to, because if one band has a CD that has 20 or so songs on it, the set-list would be different every night, depending on if the band wanted it that way.

See, it works out for everyone.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I wrote an (semi) article on where I thought the industry was heading as a project for Music Appreciation and I got 100% on it. Here it is.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

it's funny about Metallica & Napster, because to gain more fans for their St. Anger CD, they had to make something like a P2P network for their MetallicaVault.

Hypocrites.

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

Go Indie labels!!! :teehee:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

In theory, wouldn't the indie lables then become the major labels, and then be corrupted by greed, much like many of the record labels today?[/b][/quote]
    Yes. :p

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Yes. :p [/b][/quote]
    and to further my point, when the mainstream music listeners won't buy into these so called "worth buying" bands, they'll make their bands on their talent roster conform to their own mediums of music producing, writing, etc.

Yeah.

Holy crap, that was a good article. :mellow: You're a great writer. :)

Time for indie labels to take over.

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

In theory, yes. But hopefully they'd learn from the mistakes of majors and focus on being consistent in doing things their same old way. There are a ton of Indies out there, though, and I don't think many would make it to the level of a major label anyway. Who knows...

$pvcxGhxztCasey

it all comes down to the money. if they can make money off of the good bands, then they'll do it.

if not, then they'll make the bands change.

at the current state of the music industry, if an indie label made it HUGE, then they'd make their bands change most likely.

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

I've done some small work for a few indie labels, and they've all basically said the same thing: A label will make or break a band. Most are definitely focused on the money aspect, but there are a few decent ones out there that are truly there to help the band(s) get their name out there and help them get a feel for the industry. It seems like it's hard to get anywhere without a label, and at the same time, it's hell with one. And yet, I want to work for one in the future. B)

$pvcxGhxztCasey

eh, i'm just saying, indy labels won't stick to their roots for long when they aren't bringing in alot of money.

If they can make it in the big time, that's great. I mean, I would have loved to see At The Drive-In as big as bands like Staind and whatnot.

But to me, it's not about the popularity, it's about their underground following. [cheap band plug]Otep is a good example. Despite Capital Records changing most of Sevas Tra, the fans stuck by Otep.

Myself included.[/cheap band plug]

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm completely clueless :eek: :(
    What are indie labels?

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Music right now is going nowhere, but saying why I belive so would start an unnecessary "conversation".