Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radical Dreamer
    Have the RIAA lawsuits put you off downloading music?

If not, do you think CDs will become obsolete one day? What do you prefer: CDs or MP3s? I'd rather own a CD than have a song digitally stored on my hard drive or MP3 player, I love seeing things like album art and liner notes but this is only possible if CD prices are lowered, which doesn't seem to be happening where I live.

Of course CD's will eventually become obsolete. Just like the A-Track & Records, we'll find a more advanced way.

As for if I prefer CD's or MP3's: I like CD's, mainly for the extra stuff they usually come with, and the artwork. I like to have MP3's for my home use, and CD's for when I go out somewhere, you know?

Yeah.

I'm Not Obsessed!!!
    I like cds: if its just one song i would like i would get it as an mp3 but i like the artwork and the extra stuff and the cds are alot more stronger its harder to scratch them

Radical Dreamer
    Originally posted by Casey@Feb 27 2004, 12:42 AM
    Of course CD's will eventually become obsolete. Just like the A-Track & Records, we'll find a more advanced way.
    Hopefully not in my lifetime. I'd hate having to update my entire CD collection.

and the cds are alot more stronger its harder to scratch them

Banned
    For how to tote them around, I'd like mini disc's. It'd be a hell of a lot more easier to carry them around, and still have the disc in hand.

As for the musical talents, music is going to SH*T!!!!

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer+Feb 26 2004, 06:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Radical Dreamer @ Feb 26 2004, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Casey@Feb 27 2004, 12:42 AM
    Of course CD&#39;s will eventually become obsolete. Just like the A-Track & Records, we&#39;ll find a more advanced way.
    Hopefully not in my lifetime. I&#39;d hate having to update my entire CD collection. [/b][/quote]
    technically you wouldn&#39;t have to do that.

since, in 2004, we don&#39;t really have the technology needed to advance to something beyond CD&#39;s, by the time that comes around, you&#39;ll be able to just convert your CD&#39;s into whatever the new thing is.

Right now, it looks like the new thing is going to be MP3&#39;s. You can fit ALOT more songs on a customized CD that you can only play in an MP3 player, so maybe they&#39;ll just update CD&#39;s, and put the MP3 technology on it, so then they can fit 200+ songs on one CD. This way, no more box sets. Now, bands don&#39;t have to decide which songs to pick for their new CD, they can use them all.

Concert Set-lists would be better to, because if one band has a CD that has 20 or so songs on it, the set-list would be different every night, depending on if the band wanted it that way.

See, it works out for everyone.

Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C User Name's Avatar
    I wrote an (semi) article on where I thought the industry was heading as a project for Music Appreciation and I got 100% on it. Here it is.

<div align=center>Last One Out, Hit the Lights
    written by Cameron [insert last name here]</div>

The music industry is responsible for bringing out some of the greatest talents to ever hit the entertainment scene. Regrettably, the music industry is also responsible for bringing out the worst creations since unsliced bread as well, and it doesn&#39;t seem to be letting up. I want to look at one key event in which I believe started the downfall of the industry as we knew it.

I guess it wasn&#39;t that big of a suprise, was it? Yes, that event was the whole Napster dispute between it&#39;s founder, Shawn Fanning, and the members of Metallica (not to forget the various record labels as well) over copyright issues. We should all know the story after that. Shawn lost, and Napster was shut down (then later revived last year). Metallica and the labels won, but the band had to sacrifice a lot of their credibility and some of their fans in the process.

The only positive thing that I can think of that came out of this is that it challenged artists to stop coming up with mediocre albums and start writing material that people would actually want to go out and buy. Other than that, any other attempts to try and justify the whole thing is fruitless.

The negative impact of the whole Napster issue is quite evident. Prices for CD&#39;s have gradually increased, labels are going bankrupt, and overall quality of songs have gone down considerably. To put in my own words, the music industry is pumping out more crap than someone with diarrhea.

As for the future of the record labels, this is what I am guessing will happen. Labels will continue in their onslaught of marketable bands, one right after the other, and the Radioheads will be overrun by the Justin Timberlakes. Faced with the fact that people are not buying albums, the major record labels will keep merging together or closing until one mega-label exists. It may take years or several decades, but like its&#39; miniture versions, the mega-label will fall under, and the music industry will be taken over by the independant labels. This is when I believe that music worth buying will surface.

I am not saying, however, that the era I described would forever be the golden age of music. Somewhere down the road, one of those independant labels would start to morph into one of the money-hungry labels that we see today. After that happens, history would slowly once again repeat itself, and we would be right back where we started, only with different bands and different labels.

When everything is all said and done, the last person out will still close the doors and hit the lights.
    So, I'm going to go kick Abaddon in the balls. Later.

it&#39;s funny about Metallica & Napster, because to gain more fans for their St. Anger CD, they had to make something like a P2P network for their MetallicaVault.

Hypocrites.

coley8605
    Originally posted by Cameron@Feb 26 2004, 06:57 PM

It may take years or several decades, but like its&#39; miniture versions, the mega-label will fall under, and the music industry will be taken over by the independant labels. This is when I believe that music worth buying will surface.
    Go Indie labels&#33;&#33;&#33;

[quote]Originally posted by coley8605@Feb 26 2004, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron,Feb 26 2004, 06:57 PM
    It may take years or several decades, but like its&#39; miniture versions, the mega-label will fall under, and the music industry will be taken over by the independant labels. This is when I believe that music worth buying will surface.
    In theory, wouldn&#39;t the indie lables then become the major labels, and then be corrupted by greed, much like many of the record labels today?

LPA VIP
    Originally posted by Casey+Feb 26 2004, 05:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Casey @ Feb 26 2004, 05:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -coley8605@Feb 26 2004, 06:59 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Cameron
    @Feb 26 2004, 06:57 PM

In theory, wouldn&#39;t the indie lables then become the major labels, and then be corrupted by greed, much like many of the record labels today?[/b][/quote]
    Yes.
    meet the team.

Originally posted by superxero88+Feb 26 2004, 07:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (superxero88 @ Feb 26 2004, 07:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Casey@Feb 26 2004, 05:03 PM
    Originally posted by -coley8605@Feb 26 2004, 06:59 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Cameron
    @Feb 26 2004, 06:57 PM

In theory, wouldn&#39;t the indie lables then become the major labels, and then be corrupted by greed, much like many of the record labels today?
    Yes. [/b][/quote]
    and to further my point, when the mainstream music listeners won&#39;t buy into these so called "worth buying" bands, they&#39;ll make their bands on their talent roster conform to their own mediums of music producing, writing, etc.

Yeah.

Radical Dreamer
    Originally posted by Cameron@Feb 27 2004, 12:57 AM
    I wrote an (semi) article on where I thought the industry was heading as a project for Music Appreciation and I got 100% on it. Here it is.

<div align=center>Last One Out, Hit the Lights
    written by Cameron [insert last name here]</div>

The music industry is responsible for bringing out some of the greatest talents to ever hit the entertainment scene. Regrettably, the music industry is also responsible for bringing out the worst creations since unsliced bread as well, and it doesn&#39;t seem to be letting up. I want to look at one key event in which I believe started the downfall of the industry as we knew it.

I guess it wasn&#39;t that big of a suprise, was it? Yes, that event was the whole Napster dispute between it&#39;s founder, Shawn Fanning, and the members of Metallica (not to forget the various record labels as well) over copyright issues. We should all know the story after that. Shawn lost, and Napster was shut down (then later revived last year). Metallica and the labels won, but the band had to sacrifice a lot of their credibility and some of their fans in the process.

The only positive thing that I can think of that came out of this is that it challenged artists to stop coming up with mediocre albums and start writing material that people would actually want to go out and buy. Other than that, any other attempts to try and justify the whole thing is fruitless.

The negative impact of the whole Napster issue is quite evident. Prices for CD&#39;s have gradually increased, labels are going bankrupt, and overall quality of songs have gone down considerably. To put in my own words, the music industry is pumping out more crap than someone with diarrhea.

As for the future of the record labels, this is what I am guessing will happen. Labels will continue in their onslaught of marketable bands, one right after the other, and the Radioheads will be overrun by the Justin Timberlakes. Faced with the fact that people are not buying albums, the major record labels will keep merging together or closing until one mega-label exists. It may take years or several decades, but like its&#39; miniture versions, the mega-label will fall under, and the music industry will be taken over by the independant labels. This is when I believe that music worth buying will surface.

I am not saying, however, that the era I described would forever be the golden age of music. Somewhere down the road, one of those independant labels would start to morph into one of the money-hungry labels that we see today. After that happens, history would slowly once again repeat itself, and we would be right back where we started, only with different bands and different labels.

When everything is all said and done, the last person out will still close the doors and hit the lights.
    Holy crap, that was a good article. You&#39;re a great writer.

Time for indie labels to take over.

coley8605
    In theory, yes. But hopefully they&#39;d learn from the mistakes of majors and focus on being consistent in doing things their same old way. There are a ton of Indies out there, though, and I don&#39;t think many would make it to the level of a major label anyway. Who knows...

Originally posted by coley8605@Feb 26 2004, 07:09 PM
    In theory, yes. But hopefully they&#39;d learn from the mistakes of majors and focus on being consistent in doing things their same old way.
    it all comes down to the money. if they can make money off of the good bands, then they&#39;ll do it.

if not, then they&#39;ll make the bands change.

at the current state of the music industry, if an indie label made it HUGE, then they&#39;d make their bands change most likely.

coley8605
    I&#39;ve done some small work for a few indie labels, and they&#39;ve all basically said the same thing: A label will make or break a band. Most are definitely focused on the money aspect, but there are a few decent ones out there that are truly there to help the band(s) get their name out there and help them get a feel for the industry. It seems like it&#39;s hard to get anywhere without a label, and at the same time, it&#39;s hell with one. And yet, I want to work for one in the future. B)

Originally posted by coley8605@Feb 26 2004, 07:19 PM
    I&#39;ve done some small work for a few indie labels, and they&#39;ve all basically said the same thing: A label will make or break a band. Most are definitely focused on the money aspect, but there are a few decent ones out there that are truly there to help the band(s) get their name out there and help them get a feel for the industry. It seems like it&#39;s hard to get anywhere without a label, and at the same time, it&#39;s hell with one. And yet, I want to work for one in the future. B)
    eh, i&#39;m just saying, indy labels won&#39;t stick to their roots for long when they aren&#39;t bringing in alot of money.

If they can make it in the big time, that&#39;s great. I mean, I would have loved to see At The Drive-In as big as bands like Staind and whatnot.

But to me, it&#39;s not about the popularity, it&#39;s about their underground following. [cheap band plug]Otep is a good example. Despite Capital Records changing most of Sevas Tra, the fans stuck by Otep.

Myself included.[/cheap band plug]

Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C User Name's Avatar
    [quote]Originally posted by Casey@Feb 26 2004, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coley8605,Feb 26 2004, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron,Feb 26 2004, 06:57 PM
    It gets to that point later on in the article.

I&#39;m completely clueless
    What are indie labels?

Music right now is going nowhere, but saying why I belive so would start an unnecessary "conversation".
    no sig 'till i find a host

Thread Information