Budget Cuts?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Glenn, Feb 12, 2004.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

This year sucks because of budget cuts. We don't have enough English books so we have to use them a few classes at a time. We don't have enough new french books, so we're using old ones from the 70s or 80s. Most of our teachers are doing this bullshit thing called "work to rule" Where they are only working the hours that are required and not doing after-school activities. So now making up tests are going to be a pain in the ass and after school help will be limited. I think it's going to hurt us more. They want more money and we don't have it. Stupid F*ckin teachers.

Are you're schools cut at all?

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Yep, stuff like that happens. 80's dictionnaries, not enough money to buy adequate scales for sciences, and teachers that work for the money. It's like that everywhere, in every country or almost :mellow: .

Leslie

Leslie huh? LPA Super Member

Yup, the budget is a huge problem here at the University level... Next year there will be an increase in fees and a decrease in financial aid for students. Governor Schwarzenegger's budget cuts are also going to cut the amount of pay that professors get, and classes are going to be bigger. As if it wasn't hard enough to get into classes here, it's going to be even harder next year (believe me, it's already hard enough... this semester I had to find another class at the last minute just because the English class I was waitlisted for was full). There's an artilce about the budget at UCB here.

As to the "work to rule" thing, I think that's crap. Teachers should be more accommodating to students and not leave them hanging. They female dog about the future, yet they aren't willing to give a little of their own time to help some students. Some teachers just don't get what it is to educate, do they? Greedy mofo's.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Wait, wait, this year? Wow, my schools must just be plain cheap, then. They've been like that ever since I was in elementary...

If there are enough books for everyone in school, that's a lucky thing, as for the teachers, really, they don't care--you fail, you fail; it's your own problem :unsure:. We all use books that were made in the 70's, except for History, another school donated History books that were published in 2000 to us, and yeh, :wth:.

animal

animal Banned

then drop out...it solves everything!

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Do you ever think before you post, Animal? I'm starting to get extremely annoyed with your mindless posts.

Moving on:

University top-up fees are being introduced by my best friend Mr. Tony Blair either next year, or when I'm in my final year; either way I'm going to be in a lot of debt come the end of it all.

Basically he's burning the ladder that he once climbed by not allowing student grants (so I've heard from the news).

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Well, usually no one likes funding education and schools. They prefer funding the army. What a world we live in...

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

It depends what grade your School is. The higher the grade, the more money it gets. Since my school is a "D" school, it sucks. Lovely. :)

animal

animal Banned

well it worked for me. when i dropped out i didn't have to worry about the bullcrap with school anymore

Nikki

and ruined your chance of getting a decent job. well done.

LornVourkolakas

Actually... no... I'm not going to stress the many reasons why.. But here is one which is short and simple. "It's not what you know, it's who you know."...

Nikki

and if you know no-one then you're screwed ;p

The chances of having half-way decent 'connections' are quite slim.

LornVourkolakas

But like I said, that is just one of the reasons. *Winks*

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

well it worked for me. when i dropped out i didn't have to worry about the bullcrap with school anymore [/b][/quote]
    So.. how old are you? Just because you dont have good books, you drop out school? At least learn something from the 80's books instead of nothing :wth:

My school doesnt have budget cuts and stuff, so im living the good way :p

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

It's always been that way here. At least the teachers at my school care about stuff and they do extra-curricular things all the time. Maybe it's because we live in a town where everyone knows everyone else. It's not that small though, we have about 10 000 people :lol:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

My school just got a huge amount of funds and they are building a brand-new school down the road from me. It's going to be really big, and is going to have two football fields, three baseball fields, two softball fields, six tennis courts, a soccer field, and a gigantic field house. The lunch room is going to have an Arby's, a Burger King, a Pizza Hut, and a Taco Bell. It's going to be awesome. But I won't be able to go to the school, because construction won't be over until I graduate.

But, for now, my school is pretty crappy. I hate it. The food is terrible, the resources are awful. It's just bad right now.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Holy sh*t! That's amazing!

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

We had budget cuts just this year. We can't play certain games in gym anymore, we can't get new equipment for the football team so they have to use fundraisers (like I care), they took away all these snacks and food and stuff at lunch, we got rid of 2-3 teachers, and the students have to pay more for driver's ed. I think that's all...my mom is a teacher.

animal

animal Banned

some people don't think having a job making 100,000$ a year means anything...some people just want to make a decent living and enjoy life...not work all the time ;)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

some people don't think having a job making 100,000$ a year means anything...some people just want to make a decent living and enjoy life...not work all the time ;) [/b][/quote]
    unless you're going to live with your parents for the rest of theirt life, drive their car, and completely mooch off them, you may want a decent job.