Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Cuts?

This year sucks because of budget cuts. We don't have enough English books so we have to use them a few classes at a time. We don't have enough new french books, so we're using old ones from the 70s or 80s. Most of our teachers are doing this bullshit thing called "work to rule" Where they are only working the hours that are required and not doing after-school activities. So now making up tests are going to be a pain in the ass and after school help will be limited. I think it's going to hurt us more. They want more money and we don't have it. Stupid F*ckin teachers.

Are you're schools cut at all?

Yep, stuff like that happens. 80's dictionnaries, not enough money to buy adequate scales for sciences, and teachers that work for the money. It's like that everywhere, in every country or almost .
    no sig 'till i find a host

Yup, the budget is a huge problem here at the University level... Next year there will be an increase in fees and a decrease in financial aid for students. Governor Schwarzenegger's budget cuts are also going to cut the amount of pay that professors get, and classes are going to be bigger. As if it wasn't hard enough to get into classes here, it's going to be even harder next year (believe me, it's already hard enough... this semester I had to find another class at the last minute just because the English class I was waitlisted for was full). There's an artilce about the budget at UCB here.

As to the "work to rule" thing, I think that's crap. Teachers should be more accommodating to students and not leave them hanging. They female dog about the future, yet they aren't willing to give a little of their own time to help some students. Some teachers just don't get what it is to educate, do they? Greedy mofo's.

is Keaton
    Wait, wait, this year? Wow, my schools must just be plain cheap, then. They've been like that ever since I was in elementary...

If there are enough books for everyone in school, that's a lucky thing, as for the teachers, really, they don't care--you fail, you fail; it's your own problem . We all use books that were made in the 70's, except for History, another school donated History books that were published in 2000 to us, and yeh, :wth:.

Banned
    then drop out...it solves everything!

I have no idea what is going on Nikki's Avatar
    Do you ever think before you post, Animal? I'm starting to get extremely annoyed with your mindless posts.

Moving on:

University top-up fees are being introduced by my best friend Mr. Tony Blair either next year, or when I'm in my final year; either way I'm going to be in a lot of debt come the end of it all.

Basically he's burning the ladder that he once climbed by not allowing student grants (so I've heard from the news).

You are my detonator. Phantom Duck's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kat@Feb 12 2004, 09:36 AM
    Basically he's burning the ladder that he once climbed by not allowing student grants (so I've heard from the news).
    Well, usually no one likes funding education and schools. They prefer funding the army. What a world we live in...
    Tu trembles, mon coeur?
    Tu tremblerais davantage, si tu savais ou je te mene.

About To Blow Chunks LornVourkolakas's Avatar
    It depends what grade your School is. The higher the grade, the more money it gets. Since my school is a "D" school, it sucks. Lovely.

Banned
    Originally posted by Kat@Feb 12 2004, 09:36 AM
    Do you ever think before you post, Animal? I'm starting to get extremely annoyed with your mindless posts.

Moving on:

University top-up fees are being introduced by my best friend Mr. Tony Blair either next year, or when I'm in my final year; either way I'm going to be in a lot of debt come the end of it all.

well it worked for me. when i dropped out i didn't have to worry about the bullcrap with school anymore

and ruined your chance of getting a decent job. well done.

Originally posted by Kat@Feb 12 2004, 05:40 PM
    Actually... no... I'm not going to stress the many reasons why.. But here is one which is short and simple. "It's not what you know, it's who you know."...

and if you know no-one then you're screwed ;p

The chances of having half-way decent 'connections' are quite slim.

Originally posted by Kat@Feb 12 2004, 06:08 PM
    and if you know no-one then you're screwed ;p

The chances of having half-way decent 'connections' are quite slim.
    But like I said, that is just one of the reasons. *Winks*

LPA Addict
    Originally posted by animal+Feb 12 2004, 07:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (animal @ Feb 12 2004, 07:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Kat@Feb 12 2004, 09:36 AM
    Do you ever think before you post, Animal? I&#39;m starting to get extremely annoyed with your mindless posts.

Moving on:

University top-up fees are being introduced by my best friend Mr. Tony Blair either next year, or when I&#39;m in my final year; either way I&#39;m going to be in a lot of debt come the end of it all.

Basically he&#39;s burning the ladder that he once climbed by not allowing student grants (so I&#39;ve heard from the news).
    well it worked for me. when i dropped out i didn&#39;t have to worry about the bullcrap with school anymore [/b][/quote]
    So.. how old are you? Just because you dont have good books, you drop out school? At least learn something from the 80&#39;s books instead of nothing :wth:

My school doesnt have budget cuts and stuff, so im living the good way

Formerly known as Chris.

It&#39;s always been that way here. At least the teachers at my school care about stuff and they do extra-curricular things all the time. Maybe it&#39;s because we live in a town where everyone knows everyone else. It&#39;s not that small though, we have about 10 000 people
    Neil's Vintage Sig Collection. Item 2 'Hahn Signature'

bread crumbs & white stones
    My school just got a huge amount of funds and they are building a brand-new school down the road from me. It&#39;s going to be really big, and is going to have two football fields, three baseball fields, two softball fields, six tennis courts, a soccer field, and a gigantic field house. The lunch room is going to have an Arby&#39;s, a Burger King, a Pizza Hut, and a Taco Bell. It&#39;s going to be awesome. But I won&#39;t be able to go to the school, because construction won&#39;t be over until I graduate.

But, for now, my school is pretty crappy. I hate it. The food is terrible, the resources are awful. It&#39;s just bad right now.
    So... I'll keep searching for a place called home.
    I'll rip my roots from this earth into the unknown.
    Is it for the dreams I chased or the ones I caught?
    This mystery, this misery is killing me.
    So, now, I'll leave behind a murder scene.
    My life isn't real; it's just s silhouette.
    And, when the sun goes down, I won't exist.

Originally posted by Will@Feb 12 2004, 02:50 PM
    My school just got a huge amount of funds and they are building a brand-new school down the road from me. It&#39;s going to be really big, and is going to have two football fields, three baseball fields, two softball fields, six tennis courts, a soccer field, and a gigantic field house. The lunch room is going to have an Arby&#39;s, a Burger King, a Pizza Hut, and a Taco Bell. It&#39;s going to be awesome. But I won&#39;t be able to go to the school, because construction won&#39;t be over until I graduate.

But, for now, my school is pretty crappy. I hate it. The food is terrible, the resources are awful. It&#39;s just bad right now.
    Holy sh*t&#33; That&#39;s amazing&#33;

We had budget cuts just this year. We can&#39;t play certain games in gym anymore, we can&#39;t get new equipment for the football team so they have to use fundraisers (like I care), they took away all these snacks and food and stuff at lunch, we got rid of 2-3 teachers, and the students have to pay more for driver&#39;s ed. I think that&#39;s all...my mom is a teacher.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

|Current Desktop | Audioscrobbler | MySpace |

Banned
    Originally posted by Kat@Feb 12 2004, 05:40 PM
    some people don&#39;t think having a job making 100,000&#036; a year means anything...some people just want to make a decent living and enjoy life...not work all the time

Originally posted by animal+Feb 12 2004, 09:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (animal @ Feb 12 2004, 09:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Kat@Feb 12 2004, 05:40 PM
    some people don&#39;t think having a job making 100,000&#036; a year means anything...some people just want to make a decent living and enjoy life...not work all the time [/b][/quote]
    unless you&#39;re going to live with your parents for the rest of theirt life, drive their car, and completely mooch off them, you may want a decent job.

Thread Information