Computers.

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Oblong_Cheese, Oct 30, 2002.

Oblong_Cheese

Oblong_Cheese Active Member

Who here knows things about computers? Who here thinks they know things about computers? Seeing as this is a web-based forum, it's unlikely that people who know nothing about computers are going to be posting on it, so I was just wondering, to what degree of computer knowledge do you possess?

I, myself, am probably a typical computer user. I have a fairly average system (speed wise) that I use to play games on as well as chat and surf the 'net, and occasionally write an assigment or two. I only upgrade my computer when I; a) have the money, and b) need a speed boost to play the latest games. That is the main reason I spend money on my computer: to play games.

Unfortunately I am depriving myself of the more valuable side of computing, because I am generally too lazy to help myself out by learning something useful about computers, such as a programming language. I will eventually get into programming of some type... Maybe. I prefer the hardware side of things over software.

So, what do you know about computers?

Last edited by Oblong_Cheese at Oct 30 2002, 08:47 PM

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

lol. trust you do something like this owen!

i know nothing bout computers! well i know little bits but i dont know what i know if u get that :p

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

I'm currently taking an advanced course in ICT...bleh...So I already know most of the basics and some extras too...but most of the stuff I know most about is download software...bug killing and stuff mostly about the internet...methinks

Magick

Magick Ambient

I'd be one of those people who think they know things about the computer. :p

What do I know about computers, eh? Well, I know how to create a basic site, like on Tripod or something like that. I also know how to "manipulate" myself around problems that I might be having in whatever program that I'm using. Other than that and basic knowledge of computers, I'm taking a computer info tech class in school.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I know a lot about computers. Ive built my own..........

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

i feel i know alot about computers and how they're supposed to be used.

i feel my handicaps while using computers are scripting, making digital pictures and HTML. but other than that, i feel i could teach quite a few people how to use a computer.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know several programming languages, including Visual Basic, HTML, XHTML (extensible HTML), CSS, some PHP, and mIRC Scripting (which really isn't a language, but...). I could probably also build my own computer but I don't have any extra money to... I know quite a bit about them as well. Heh. I'm done ranting.

Oblong_Cheese

I know how to build a computer as well. That is what I would consider to be fairly basic knowledge, edging onto the 'moderately difficult' category. When you think about it, it's not that hard to place a motherboard inside a case, screw it in, whack in some RAM, a CPU, a HDD, CDROM... etc etc. Pretty basic, in my opinion.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Well, prolly the most technical stuff I know is HTML. I'm not advanced in it, but i've been doing a lot of it recently and getting better at it.
    Other than that, I know how to turn my computer on and off :D

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I've never built my own PC, but i think I know the basics in most of the general areas, and a lot in web/graphic design :lol:

LPchick4ever

LPchick4ever Ambient

i know enough...click the "e" BAM! you get the internet and so on...

White Pony(turntables)

White Pony(turntables) Ambient

*DOESN'T READ*

Oblong_Cheese

Congratulations on not reading my post.

If you have nothing to add to the thread, please do not post in it.

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Congratulations on not reading my post.

If you have nothing to add to the thread, please do not post in it.[/b][/quote]
    I think we are going to get along.... :) I guess you like to keep things in order too...lol

I'm not a big fan of PHP...but I know one heck of a lot of HTML...well...I think I know enough but I'll probably find some other stuff too, soon...

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

i know how to do that to :D and i know how to turn it on and off and i know how to get in msn and irc and things like that :D

Alex

Alex Ambient

Im doing a computer based degree but I dont have a nerd/geek life style.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I know how to build a computer as well. That is what I would consider to be fairly basic knowledge, edging onto the 'moderately difficult' category. When you think about it, it's not that hard to place a motherboard inside a case, screw it in, whack in some RAM, a CPU, a HDD, CDROM... etc etc. Pretty basic, in my opinion.[/b][/quote]
    Figuring out where everything goes doesn't take much skill at all. It's getting all the correct parts to make everything compatible and fast that's the hard part

Oblong_Cheese

Ah, but you do. What kind of a person, who is not a "nerd", nor a "geek" would be an administrator of an online forum? :)

Compatability isn't such an issue, but speed is a criteria to be taken into consideration. Generally, the most expensive is the fastest, to be simple about it. :)

Last edited by Oblong_Cheese at Nov 1 2002, 05:51 AM