Thread: Computers.

What's a 'Grey Daze'?
    Who here knows things about computers? Who here thinks they know things about computers? Seeing as this is a web-based forum, it's unlikely that people who know nothing about computers are going to be posting on it, so I was just wondering, to what degree of computer knowledge do you possess?

I, myself, am probably a typical computer user. I have a fairly average system (speed wise) that I use to play games on as well as chat and surf the 'net, and occasionally write an assigment or two. I only upgrade my computer when I; a) have the money, and b) need a speed boost to play the latest games. That is the main reason I spend money on my computer: to play games.

Unfortunately I am depriving myself of the more valuable side of computing, because I am generally too lazy to help myself out by learning something useful about computers, such as a programming language. I will eventually get into programming of some type... Maybe. I prefer the hardware side of things over software.

So, what do you know about computers?

Last edited by Oblong_Cheese at Oct 30 2002, 08:47 PM

LPA VIP
    lol. trust you do something like this owen!

i know nothing bout computers! well i know little bits but i dont know what i know if u get that

I have no idea what is going on Nikki's Avatar
    I'm currently taking an advanced course in ICT...bleh...So I already know most of the basics and some extras too...but most of the stuff I know most about is download software...bug killing and stuff mostly about the internet...methinks

Ambient
    I'd be one of those people who think they know things about the computer.

What do I know about computers, eh? Well, I know how to create a basic site, like on Tripod or something like that. I also know how to "manipulate" myself around problems that I might be having in whatever program that I'm using. Other than that and basic knowledge of computers, I'm taking a computer info tech class in school.

I know a lot about computers. Ive built my own..........

i feel i know alot about computers and how they're supposed to be used.

i feel my handicaps while using computers are scripting, making digital pictures and HTML. but other than that, i feel i could teach quite a few people how to use a computer.

bread crumbs & white stones
    I know several programming languages, including Visual Basic, HTML, XHTML (extensible HTML), CSS, some PHP, and mIRC Scripting (which really isn't a language, but...). I could probably also build my own computer but I don't have any extra money to... I know quite a bit about them as well. Heh. I'm done ranting.
    So... I'll keep searching for a place called home:
    I'll rip my roots from this earth into the unknown.
    Is it for the dreams I chased or the ones I caught?
    This mystery, this misery is killing me.
    So, now, I'll leave behind a murder scene.
    My life isn't real; it's just a silhouette—
    and, when the sun goes down, I won't exist.

What's a 'Grey Daze'?
    Originally posted by Todd@Oct 30 2002, 01:15 PM
    I know how to build a computer as well. That is what I would consider to be fairly basic knowledge, edging onto the 'moderately difficult' category. When you think about it, it's not that hard to place a motherboard inside a case, screw it in, whack in some RAM, a CPU, a HDD, CDROM... etc etc. Pretty basic, in my opinion.

Bryan
    Well, prolly the most technical stuff I know is HTML. I'm not advanced in it, but i've been doing a lot of it recently and getting better at it.
    Other than that, I know how to turn my computer on and off

I've never built my own PC, but i think I know the basics in most of the general areas, and a lot in web/graphic design

Ambient
    i know enough...click the "e" BAM! you get the internet and so on...

Originally posted by Oblong_Cheese@Oct 29 2002, 11:28 PM
    Who here knows things about computers? Who here thinks they know things about computers? Seeing as this is a web-based forum, it's unlikely that people who know nothing about computers are going to be posting on it, so I was just wondering, to what degree of computer knowledge do you possess?

I, myself, am probably a typical computer user. I have a fairly average system (speed wise) that I use to play games on as well as chat and surf the 'net, and occasionally write an assigment or two. I only upgrade my computer when I; a) have the money, and B) need a speed boost to play the latest games. That is the main reason I spend money on my computer: to play games.

Unfortunately I am depriving myself of the more valuable side of computing, because I am generally too lazy to help myself out by learning something useful about computers, such as a programming language. I will eventually get into programming of some type... Maybe. I prefer the hardware side of things over software.

So, what do you know about computers?
    *DOESN'T READ*

What's a 'Grey Daze'?
    Originally posted by White Pony(turntables)@Oct 31 2002, 01:56 AM
    *DOESN'T READ*
    Congratulations on not reading my post.

If you have nothing to add to the thread, please do not post in it.

I have no idea what is going on Nikki's Avatar
    Originally posted by Oblong_Cheese+Oct 31 2002, 09:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Oblong_Cheese @ Oct 31 2002, 09:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--White Pony(turntables)@Oct 31 2002, 01:56 AM
    *DOESN&#39;T READ*
    Congratulations on not reading my post.

If you have nothing to add to the thread, please do not post in it.[/b][/quote]
    I think we are going to get along.... I guess you like to keep things in order too...lol

I&#39;m not a big fan of PHP...but I know one heck of a lot of HTML...well...I think I know enough but I&#39;ll probably find some other stuff too, soon...

LPA VIP
    Originally posted by LPchick4ever@Oct 31 2002, 10:19 AM
    i know enough...click the "e" BAM&#33; you get the internet and so on...
    i know how to do that to and i know how to turn it on and off and i know how to get in msn and irc and things like that

Ambient
    Im doing a computer based degree but I dont have a nerd/geek life style.

Originally posted by Oblong_Cheese+Oct 30 2002, 03:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Oblong_Cheese @ Oct 30 2002, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Todd@Oct 30 2002, 01:15 PM
    I know how to build a computer as well. That is what I would consider to be fairly basic knowledge, edging onto the &#39;moderately difficult&#39; category. When you think about it, it&#39;s not that hard to place a motherboard inside a case, screw it in, whack in some RAM, a CPU, a HDD, CDROM... etc etc. Pretty basic, in my opinion.[/b][/quote]
    Figuring out where everything goes doesn&#39;t take much skill at all. It&#39;s getting all the correct parts to make everything compatible and fast that&#39;s the hard part

What's a 'Grey Daze'?
    Originally posted by Alex
    Im doing a computer based degree but I dont have a nerd/geek life style.
    Ah, but you do. What kind of a person, who is not a "nerd", nor a "geek" would be an administrator of an online forum?

Originally posted by Todd
    Figuring out where everything goes doesn&#39;t take much skill at all. It&#39;s getting all the correct parts to make everything compatible and fast that&#39;s the hard part
    Compatability isn&#39;t such an issue, but speed is a criteria to be taken into consideration. Generally, the most expensive is the fastest, to be simple about it.

Last edited by Oblong_Cheese at Nov 1 2002, 05:51 AM

Thread Information