Why RIAA can't sue Sharman Networks

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Aug 2, 2003.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

All right. We all know there's a big stink about how the RIAA is trying to shut down the file-serving programs such as KaZaA. What we don't know is what RIAA cannot do, and that is actually shut down KaZaA. Sharman Networks cannot be held responsible for what is downloaded from KaZaA because it states right in their policies that they can't. They also can't shut down KaZaA because it's a medium for more than just music. You can download just about anything you want from KaZaA, and because of that, RIAA cannot shut KaZaA down, nor force Sharman Networks to put up a block on audio because if its policies, and mainly because audio files can be put into ZIP files and have the extensions changed and then changed back to .mp3 once the transfer is completed. RIAA also can't shut down KaZaA Lite because it isn't even made by Sharman Networks. It's made by independent people who've customized KaZaA and put it up for downloads. K-Lite is a better version of KaZaA, in my opinion.

I know I'll get people telling me I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure that I am not wrong.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Yah i totally agree with you Will, there is no way that they can get shut down. The only thing that they can do is do what they did to Napster, that is charge people for the downloading of music. But i mean even that could be hard because like you said is that you can download more than just music files from Kazaa.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Let's hear it for loopholes in the system!

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

and if they CAN shut it down, there are millions of sites where you can download music, games, vid. etc

Terry

Terry Yeah, but I wish you were my shadow. LPA Super Member

I think Will is right. All but that one little percent. And yes, like Nate, w00t for loopholes! :)

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Will, you couldnt be more right. KaZaA is just a means of transfer for files. They state in the End User Licence Agreement that they are not responsible and have nothing to do with any meduim that is shared over their networks.

LinkinTheory

LinkinTheory Well-Known Member

You are 100% right. But then again, wasn't napster just a audio file sharing program? How can they shut that down? Because it was just music? I never had it, got it too late.

Trapt

Trapt Banned

I have K-Lite, don't you need to pay for that?

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

No.