Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark, Jul 23, 2003.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I've seen alot of threads being made which ask a question and are useless after the question is answered. Many questions are being asked over and over again too. In this thread, post any questions you have concerning the band, but please don't go off topic on how much you like something because this thread is strictly for questions. Any chit chat will be deleted. If you have an answer, please post it to complete the question.

Here's a small list of already answered questions;

Q: Are there any secrets on the Reanimation DVD-A?
    A: No.

Q: Are there any secrets on the Making of Meteora DVD?
    A: No.

Q: What is the difference between the Blue and Brown/Gold versions of Meteora?
    A: Brown version: Meteora CD with Enhanced Features, 40pg booklet.
    Blue Version: Meteora CD with Enhanced Features, 40pg booklet, and limited edition 35 minute documentary DVD of the Making of Meteora.

Q: Will Linkin Park be playing in my town soon?
    A: http://www.lpassociation.com/?p=tour

Q: I've heard Reanimation has 21 tracks instead of 20, what's up?
    A: Marilyn Manson's remix of By Myself (called "Buy Myslf") is featured on two cd's. You can find "Buy Myslf" on the Pts.of.Athrty/H! Vltg3 cd single or the japanese import of Reanimation.

Q: What's a "b-side"?
    A: A "b-side" is a finished version of a song which was recorded for a cd, but did not make the cut when the cd was manufactured. These unreleased tracks (or b-sides) sometimes appear on single cd's, or through fan clubs.

Q: How many Linkin Park "b-sides" are there?
    A: "Hybrid Theory" - "My December" (UK Single for One Step Closer), "High Voltage Remix" (UK Single for One Step Closer)
    "Reanimation" - "Buy Myslf" (Pts.of.Athrty/H! Vltg3 single cd, Japanese import of Reanimation), "Points of Authority (Crystal Method remix)" (Linkin Park Underground 2.0 CD).
    "Meteora" - "A.06" (Linkin Park Underground 2.0 CD).

Q: I've heard of two songs named "Shifter" and "Nocturnal", where can I find these?
    A: Mike talked about "Shifter" and "Nocturnal" in a pre-Meteora interview. They are one of two things; 1) unreleased Meteora b-sides or 2) Original titles for changed Meteora songs (meaning they were renamed at one point before the cd was made). These songs have never been heard by the public if they are indeed "Meteora b-sides" and it is impossible to find them.

Q: Where can I get unreleased songs like "A.06", "Points of Authority (Crystal Method Remix)" and the 1999 demo "Dedicated" from back when Linkin Park were called Hybrid Theory?
    A: The Linkin Park Underground.. For $25US, you can get the LPUnderground 2.0 CD, along with a t-shirt, stickers, keychain, guitar picks and much much more.

Q: Were Linkin Park ever called something else?
    A: Yes, LP were originally called Xero, but changed their name to Hybrid Theory. Another band with a name similar to Hybrid Theory threatened legal action if the name wasn't changed, so they named themselves Linkin Park after the Lincoln Park in Santa Monica, California. It was a park Chester drove by regularly, and they changed the spelling of the park to get the internet domain name.

Q: Did Xero or Hybrid Theory ever record any music?
    A: Yes, Xero created a 4 track tape sampler which included Fuse, Rhinestone, Stick 'N' Move and Reading My Eyes. These songs are very hard to find. Hybrid Theory recorded a 6-track EP which had the songs Carousel, Step Up, High Voltage, Part of Me, Technique and And One and the secret instrumental track Ambient.

Q: Where can I find the 4 track Xero sampler or Hybrid Theory EP.
    A: First year members of the Linkin Park Underground got a re-release of the Hybrid Theory EP exclusively with their LPU membership. It is no longer available on the LPU, but some people sell their Hybrid Theory EP's and the rare Xero sampler on Ebay, so if you really want it, go there.

Q: Why did Chester take out his lip ring?
    A: Chester and his wife Samantha spent a vacation in Hawaii where they renewed their wedding vows. Samantha wanted Chester to take out the lip ring, so she put it in as one of the wedding vows.

Q: What's a demo?
    A: A demo is the beginning stage of a song before it's recorded and put on an album. Demos are usually recorded to remind the band of what song they just made up (guitar riffs, drum patterns, turntable scratches) and to see how all the instruments go together with the vocals. Demos are rarely like their finished versions because many things are tweaked to make the song sound the best it can.

Q: What's the difference between a b-side and a demo?
    A: Demos = Early unfinished versions of songs which made an album.
    B-sides = Finished versions of songs which did not make the album.

Q: The guitars on my Xero tracks seem crunchy and bad sounding. Why?
    A: Xero recorded the 4-track tape sampler about 2 years before the Hybrid Theory EP. They didn't have a record deal at the time so they had to use poor quality recording hardware to record the sampler at Mike's house so they could send it out to record companies. The mp3's you have are ripped from a tape, not a cd, so the quality is bad.

Q: Who's the girl from the Crawling video?
    A: Katelyn Rosaasen

Q: Who's the girl from the Numb video?
    A: Briana Evigan

I'll add more, ask away!

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

Thank goodness you made this, Mark.

Terry

Terry Yeah, but I wish you were my shadow. LPA Super Member

What are the unreleased tracks on the cd you get in the LPU 2.0 package if it is not the Hybrid Theory EP?

Sorry if it's a stupid question....I didn't get my package yet.

Mark

The tracklisting for the LPU 2.0 CD is:

01// A.06 (56 second Meteora b-side instrumental)
    02// With You (Live)
    03// Points of Authority (Crystal Method remix, Reanimation b-side)
    04// Dedicated (1999 Demo from before "Hybrid Theory" came out.)
    05// High Voltage (Live from London Docklands)
    06// My December (Hybrid Theory b-side)

WTH>You

WTH>You Banned

What about: What is an EP?

Mark

Do you know the answer? If you know what the answer is, there's not much sense asking the question.

An EP is a disc with 4-9 tracks. CD's usually have 10+ tracks and EP's have less songs. Most EP's are usually made by starting bands so they can send the songs over to record companies to get noticed.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Do you know the answer? If you know what the answer is, there's not much sense asking the question.

An EP is a disc with 4-9 tracks. CD's usually have 10+ tracks and EP's have less songs. Most EP's are usually made by starting bands so they can send the songs over to record companies to get noticed. [/b][/quote]
    Although there are some exceptions, such as Dysfunction by Stand. That is considered a full album, and only contains 9 songs. (not including the secret track)

Mark

Although there are some exceptions, such as Dysfunction by Stand. That is considered a full album, and only contains 9 songs. (not including the secret track) [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, that album came to my mind when I was answering. I guess they count the bonus track as a 10th song, so it isn't called an EP.

Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

2nd A: Or you can download it at www.pushmeaway.com

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

2nd A: Or you can download it at www.pushmeaway.com [/b][/quote]
    I think he meant more along the lines of actually getting the music... Physically... Not... On your computer... It's not worth the same.

"Look mom! I downloaded the Hybrid Theory EP! Timmy! Billy next door actually HAS the album!"

You know... it's just not the same... :)

Mark

2nd A: Or you can download it at www.pushmeaway.com [/b][/quote]
    I meant legally.

Omar A

Well downloading it is the only solution to get the tracks, and plus you can't always trust ebay.

Mark

When I said "how can I get the Hybrid Theory EP", I meant "how can I own the cd". It's a collectors item, you know. Everyone has the EP downloaded in mp3, but having the EP for real is something different.

Omar A

When I said "how can I get the Hybrid Theory EP", I meant "how can I own the cd". It's a collectors item, you know. Everyone has the EP downloaded in mp3, but having the EP for real is something different. [/b][/quote]
    Oh ok. Sorry for Misunderstanding.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

E.P. = Extended Play.

There are no rules to how many tracks an EP can have as far as I'm concerned.

Slim Shady EP = 10 tracks.

Mark

well, there's exceptions and such. but the RIAA has certain guidelines and stuff where they classify an album by how many songs it has on it. that's why you see very little single cd's with 4 tracks.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

There's also maxi singles...haha. But yeah, I had no idea about the RIAA doing that.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Maxi singles - usually 1 song, I believe
    Singles - 1-4 songs
    EPs - 4-10 songs
    LPs - 10+

At least that's what I've come to understand.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

did the new deftones have 8 or 10 tracks?
    *checks*
    11 tracks. missed EP status barely.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

You got maxi singles and singles backwards.

singles = 1-2 songs
    maxi singles = 4-6 songs