Wolves At The Gate - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Xero-G, Sep 3, 2015.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Does anyone here listen to Wolves At The Gate (WATG)? For those who don't know, they are a Christian metalcore band, so they are quite heavy. They have two vocalists, one who does clean, sometimes harsh, singing and the other who handles the screaming vocals. I just started listening to them late last year after discovering their existence from a YouTube comment (of all places). Once I began listening, I could not get enough of their sound.

WATG was truly a gateway band for me, allowing me to actually get into metal and its sub-genres. I was previously just into hard rock and other rock variants but never thought I would actually like heavy metal and its variants. WATG changed all that for me. Because of them, I started listening to All That Remains and am currently listening to Disturbed. Say what you will about those bands but they helped me develop a profound interest for metal, possibly making it my favorite genre in music as of now.

Without further ado, I will give you all a sample of what WATG is all about:

[video=youtube;J0PdJNoLql8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0PdJNoLql8[/video]

[video=youtube;yPyUMUTwkqA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPyUMUTwkqA[/video]

[video=youtube;bKyqVra-QXM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKyqVra-QXM[/video]

[video=youtube;IchGOJm_IAI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IchGOJm_IAI[/video]

These four songs are among my absolute favorites from this band. The strangest part of all is that I'm not much of a Christian these days. I have lost most of my faith and don't really know what to think or believe. Even so, this band really resonates with me and gives me some hope that something other-worldy could exist, something that defies nature and reason and exists on its own merits. While I may not fully agree with the messages in all of their songs, I still can relate to what WATG is mainly getting at, especially about living for others and improving the quality of life itself. Finally, there is the hope that there may be a second life worth dying for, an actual afterlife. Most of this is just speculation on my part. I do hope that I'm proved wrong when my time on Earth comes to an end.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Cool to see someone liking them on here!
    I also love them! Actually one of my fave bands in that particular genre.
    Musically (and lyrically) easily one of the better Metalcore/Post-Hardcore bands.
    Stephen's outstanding clean vocals are probably what makes them stand out from the rest!
    Plus it helps that I can actually identify with their lyrics!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Xero-G

Thanks for commenting, Chris! I was beginning to think that I may be the only one on here who listens to WATG. Then again, the LPA has been somewhat of a ghost town lately, with so few replies in several forum sections, not just Other Music. I am a little disappointed that the intended conversation in this thread has yet to take off, as I had hoped it would have by now. Maybe there will be more activity across the forum once the first news of LP's LP7 trickles out (I'm personally not expecting to hear anything significant until this December or early January of next year). On second thought, once news regarding LPU 15 surfaces, then the forum as a whole will have some life breathed back into it, I'm fairly certain.

Regarding WATG, I'm glad that you can identify with their lyrics more than I can. It's frustrating for me at times when I listen to one of their songs and just can't fully get behind its message due to a lack of faith or shared beliefs. I really like their overall sound and the surprising amount of variety that they have displayed as a band that mostly sticks to one genre (as far as I know). Have you heard Reprise yet? If not, it's an acoustic-oriented EP featuring five acoustic re-workings of 1 song from Captors, 4 songs from VxV, and a new song written for the EP called "Waste". I bought it about a month or two after it released in May and was pleasantly surprised! Steve's vocals are as on point as ever and the acoustics have more "oomph" than I would have expected. Then again, I don't listen to much acoustic music, so I don't really have a strong point of comparison.

What are some of your favorite WATG songs?

Xero-G

I apologize for the double post. I just really want to get a great conversation going about this awesome band and even raise awareness for those who haven't heard of them yet. I forgot to mention earlier that they are from Ohio, my home state!

Even if metalcore isn't your genre of choice, I strongly recommend checking WATG out, as they have received quite a bit of praise from those in the metal scene. Their lyricism and honesty is what really hooks me at times, as well as their furious instrumentation.