How has Linkin Park made an impact on your life?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Jul 21, 2015.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

I tend to Listen to LP mostly every day. Be it having a bad day, or someone or something is stressing me out. Or I just wanna escape.
    LP is always there for me. And takes me to another place especially the old stuff. LP has helped me out back in the day and till this day have had a
    huge impact on my personal life. Has LP had an impact on your life? If so how?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Linkin Park were the very first band that I became a fan of. "Hybrid Theory" essentially got me into music.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

This sorta. While it was an assortment of bands like LP, SoaD, Breaking Benjamin, the Beatles, Rise Against, and Ash that got me into music, LP is the band that got me to branch out. When I first heard The Catalyst when it dropped as the lead single of ATS just as I was getting ready for 7th grade, it rocked my world. When the full album came out, I was shaken to the core. After listening to it in full several times I came to enjoy it more than any album I had heard before. And that's when I started going after different genres other than rock.

MattLP

I wasn't into that much of rock when I was younger mostly hop hop and rap. The first song i heard from LP was part of me from someone before they became LP
    and that instantly got me hooked and followed the band ever since.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

They got me into music so yeah... I'm thankful for them.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Well, my life has been changing quite a bit over the last few years but Linkin Park was a constant in it. So, its comforting to think about them or listen to their music for me. Its nice.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think Linkin Park opened up a lot of genres of music for me. I never had any real interest in hip hop music before I started listening to the band, and afterwards I opened my eyes to a lot of things. It was through Linkin Park that I met a girl online, who quite some time ago might have been a member here but at least was one on the official Linkin Park forums and elsewhere, who I talked to a lot and she introduced me to Muse. After listening to a lot of Muse, I started listening to a lot of other similar bands - and from there I think the diversity of my musical interests really expanded.

Additionally, Linkin Park's music was just useful to listen to as an angsty teenager, and it still calms me during times of frustration or anger or sadness. I find the music therapeutic, in a sense, because it's so familiar. Some songs just highly resonate with me and have become go-to songs for certain circumstances. Back in 2010, when A Thousand Suns came out, I had been coming out of a big break-up in high school with a girl I had been with for two years, and "Waiting for the End" became the song for me to cope with that. The same has come to pass in an even more recent breakup with a girl I was with for three years. Whenever I've been angry and needed to calm down, I've put on "Blackout" every single time. It's hard for me to ignore the healing powers of Chester's screaming on that song. Other songs served their purpose too - after a messy breakup with some girl who I dated for six weeks and who began to bad-mouth me through as many avenues as she could, "LIES GREED MISERY" became a song for me to deal with my frustration without necessarily taking the low road. I think Linkin Park was critical during some moments.

I think at this point, the band for me has become a reference point. As the band grows, so do we as its fans - and I think I've been able to identify with a lot of their experiences and I try to see their career from their perspective. I'm always curious to learn more about them, and there's no other band that I have the same vested interest in. Linkin Park has kind of become the friend I never see but still keep up with all of the time. I think that's been important for me, because I know that they're people with lives and yet hold such humility in the face of how many lives they have changed. That's a band I'll always want to keep up with and support, even if I'm not the biggest fan of their latest albums or whatever. I'll always support them, because they've always supported me.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

My music taste since 2007-08, when I got into the band, has kinda been following what Linkin Park does. Back then, through the band I found I really enjoy both rock and rap music, then in 2010 I started to get into EDM as Linkin Park took the more electronic route. By 2012, I was listening to a everything, as long as I felt it was good. Then last year, Mike kinda sold me on the whole "herbivorous" thing, and I started getting into some much heavier stuff, to lately even starting to listen to some classic rock. I've been playing Jimi Hendrix and King Crimson these past few weeks. Never expected that. Also, I got more inspired to learn to play guitar and I'm getting better ar it. I really love the band for expanding my musical palette.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Before 2009, where i started to listen to LP, my really first step into (rock) music, i just listened to some poppy-shitty-teenage bands. Cant believe how that could be me :lol:
    With their more person sound, it follows me through my teenage years and helped me (HT/Meteora --> Anger , ATS --> Hope). Every album means something different to me, which i cant say about any other band to date. Its now over 6 years since i am a fan and i think i grow with their music. Definitely something that make made my teenage life and also now a bit.

Not to mention that LP changed my complete "music taste". Now i listen to rock, punk, metal or other stuff in this direction, which couldnt be the case before LP. Definitely did something preety good to me :)

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

LP was really the only band I related to in high school. Which was a very bad time. I don't want to use the word angsty, I was truly fucked up. Angsty suggests that I was just a teenager going through that stage in life. No, I was depressed and suicidal. The band and my small group of friends were the only thing I could hold on to. Though, to be honest, the 2 couldn't keep me constantly and I found myself lucky to wake up the next morning (though it didn't feel very lucky at the time). I was bullied at school and at home. My gender was wrong, my sexuality was wrong, but I couldn't let them be what they were due to others and even my own expectations. What I'm driving at here is that I didn't have much to comfort me at the time. Linkin Park is pretty much the only thing that could (that and a couple friends I was very close with).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Linkin Park was probably the first band I really got into. Many, many times I've had a strong emotional connection with a lot of their music and they quite frankly help get through a lot of rough times, ranging anywhere from stressful days, relationship issues, to even the death of a loved one.

In addition, they were a gateway band for me. Like I said earlier, they are the first band I really started listening to a lot and opened up music for me. They got me into different genres like rock, hard rock, pop, electronic, rap, etc. They are also what made me want to buy a guitar and learn how to play it.

They're also just a bunch of great guys who I personally look up to as role models. They constantly help out with charities, they're extremely interactive with their fans, and they usually end up bringing a smile to my face any time I see any interviews or backstage videos of them. They inspire me to be creative, and they're one of few bands that I can say that do that.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

They were the first band that I called myself a fan of. Their high energy fusion of rock and rap really caught my attention. I rememeber the first song I ever heard from then was Crawling, thinking it was the heaviest shit ever. :lol: So they were very much a gateway band into me becoming a fan of music, not just songs I heard on the radio or played a lot by my parents.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

They are the first band I've ever listened to. And being a fan of.

They ARE the gateway band. To get me into music, and to get me branch my musical taste.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Pretty much exactly this. They were the first band I got hardcore into, and they were the ones that inspired me to start making music. Hell, I bought my first keyboard to record a cover of the Ballad Medley, and the first song I ever played on my first guitar was Guilty All The Same. Listening to them also helps me get out of my creative blocks, where I just can't think of something to write, play etc. I usually will throw on ATS, and just ingenuity and creativity that went into making that album gives me tons of ideas for how to further my own music, and sort of inspires me to try some more unorthodox things.

Vic

Vic No game no life

Became a fan in late 2006 and instantly became my favorite band. First record was Meteora and I was amazed with Numb. Even my best friend at that time became a hardcore fan of the band because of me (even buying more albums than me). They still are a huge impact in my life, whenever I feel good or bad, I always listen to LP.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Linkin Park has impacted my life in many ways, but I will just focus on one area for the sake of time.

Hands Held High had a serious impact on me. It, along with "comedy" shows like The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, helped make me more politically aware. I started reading newspapers and articles to learn about domestic and international affairs. Eventually, it helped change my interests from engineering to economics and public policy.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

THREAD.

Aside from your personal stuff, I agree wholeheartedly.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Pretty much what everyone else has said. Gateway band into lots of musical genres. A lot of their songs are easy to play acoustically (just 4 chords usually) so they also got me into actually playing music. Also, they've been an integral part of pretty much every workout since High school lol. Nothing gets me pumped liked their heavy stuff.

MattLP

When I was going through hard times in my life, I used Alcohol and LP as therapy. Because I felt LP was my escape.But you're right I think mostly everyone can
    relate to LP's stuff. Thats why I became a fan in the first place. LP represents all the struggles, and the inner turmoil in my life.

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

Before I found Linkin Park I did not listen to music at all. That's where my username originally came from. Then it grade 10 I found them, and started listening to their music. I originally only listened to the same 6 songs all day, every day (Faint, Numb, In The End, Crawling, Somewhere I Belong, and New Divide), and then slowly added more and more of their songs into my playlist. Now I love almost all their songs, and LP is a big part of my life. I listen to them while playing video games, doing homework, and even while studying. It is rare for me to listen to anything else, as other songs just don't have the depth and the uniqueness that LP songs have. I love their sound, whether the song is off Meteora, ATS, or any other album. I guess the difference they made is that they are all I listen to. I never liked the silence of an empty room, or the boredom of mowing the lawn, and Linkin Park fills that need for me.

The one thing that bothers me is that I was never an angsty teen, and hate that stereotype. People thought me listening to LP was a 'phase', which pisses me off. Their lyrics are cool and relatable, but I never needed LP to get through any problems, I just love their sound lol.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015