True Detective Season 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Jun 25, 2015.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Who has seen the first episode?

It's too early to judge, I'm cautiously optimistic based on what we've seen so far.

Also, the best part of episode one.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I liked it when I watched it for the first time, but because of the amount of characters and their different stories, I decided to watch it a second time, which really solidified the episode for me. I started to understand the characters more and was able to overall get more out of the episode. One line that stuck out for me, a line said by Colin Farrell's character:

"I used to want to be an astronaut. But astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore."

There seems to be a connection between the characters, about them expecting to get a certain life and basically living in the shadows of their dreams/expectations of that life. For example: a job not being how they imagined it would be. This theme also returns in the lyrics of the song "This Is My Least Favourite Life" sung by Lera Lynn in the bar scene.

So yeah, already from the first episode I managed to get a lot out of it thematically. Definitely looking forward to more.

Yeah, that scene was incredible haha

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

"Twelve years old my ass. FUCK. YOU." :rofl:

Yeah, I'd consider myself cautiously optimistic as well. The first episode didn't quite grab me like the first episode of last season did, but it still left me wanting to watch more. It's hard to judge this early on.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Holy fuck that ending.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Well. That was unexpected...

SO MANY QUESTIONS

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

First episode didn't intrigue me at all. Second episode was a lot better. The story is pretty hard to follow.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Well, that was a pretty ballsy move. Really hoping he lives; he's by far the most intriguing character on the show.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

He's dead, Jim.

travz21

This season is a huge letdown so far. The last few episodes of season 1 were a huge letdown as well. I'm starting to think the creator miraculously wrote like 5 perfect episodes and then his luck ran out after that. The only other show that's made me feel that type of mystery and atmosphere is LOST. Sadly I don't see this show ever regaining that.

Agent

alright 3 episodes in and this season is pretty underwhelming.

it has all the doom and gloom of the first season but is pale in comparison in terms of interesting characters.

in the first season the characters were compelling from the get go. i don't feel invested in any one of these people's story yet.

so far its just getting by with murky visuals and mood. nothing really substantial in terms of character moments.

travz21

The story lost me. No idea what's going on anymore.

Gibs

Though the most recent episode was the best of the season so far, the case itself is a convoluted mess. I literally could not tell you what this season is about. It's all over the place.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    travz21

This story is so lost. I don't know what they're even trying to solve anymore. Even bad stories don't lose the audience like this show has managed to do. This is a special kind of bad.

I really like Vince Vaughn in this, but the dialogue for him (and everyone) is so, so horrible. I actually think all the actors are really good. If only I knew wtf was happening. Like I don't know what anybody's motivation is for anything. Why did she go to that party? Why is Vince knocking down doors? Wtf are those blue diamonds about again? I still don't know how that big shootout started a few episodes ago. Why the hell were they looking for Mexican drug dealers when trying to find Casper?

Last season's story was about as layered and complex as it gets and it was a piece of cake to follow.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Agent

i just binged ep 4 - 6. blah what a horrible season. every character is bland and always brooding! jesus man. i feel like i don't know any of these characters because there are no character interactions here.. there is no relationship building. they are just frowning and brooding thru every scene.

and on top of that, the mystery this season sucks ass. it suffers from overcrowding the story with too many lead characters that there's no room left for individual growth. if this season didn't have the name True Detective attached to it, i'd have stopped watching by now.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Felt this season was very difficult to follow.

Best part of the season:

[youtube]mjg43nzSYck[/youtube]

travz21

Such a horrible season. Just bad. Awful. I need a better adjective to describe my disgust. Maybe the worst season of TV I've seen. There's no way that came from the same mind that created the first season. Those plagiarizing claims from season one are starting to make sense now.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I thought "All men must die" was GoT's slogan?

Gibs

Despite how much of a mess this season was, the last 30 minutes or so of that finale was fantastic, and beautifully tragic. It's a shame that it wasn't until the last 2 episodes that you actually begin to feel for these characters. I was taken aback by how much I was hoping Ray and Ani would "make it." Nevertheless, if there is a season 3, I really hope it's a return to form for the show.

travz21

The last 30 minutes was really dumb. Everything Ray did was dumb. Frank went from god-mode to randomly getting kidnapped and killed? What? Woodrugh getting killed was also really bad writing. There were way too many characters and subplots this season. Woodrugh's entire character should have been cut. So many things should have been cut. The bird mask reveal was laughable. I could go on and on but you'd get more satisfaction from reading the IMDb True Detective message board. It's really shocking how bad this season was put together.

On the plus side, Vince Vaughn was amazing. Colin Ferrell was really good. Nobody else did anything special.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yeah, Vince Vaughn did a great job, which I didn't expect.