Would they be where they are today without Don Gilmore?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Queef, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Queef

Queef Banned

I think not, his production is awesome

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Maybe not as big, but definitely more respected. His production blows donkey dick.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

:facepalm::samuel::wat:
    I am glad they moved away from that overall sound and production.
    If they didn't, I don't think I would be a LP fan today.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Queef

Queef Banned

Did someone shoot your ears off? lots of pseudo producers on this forum hahaha

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Let me clarify. HT and Meteora sound great. But Gilmore dumbed the band down A LOT. He turned em into the poppiest band in the scene. If you listen to the demos, there's some amazing writing in there. But Gilmore turned it as radio friendly as possible.

Queef

Queef Banned

their still the two best albums

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I believe the majority of the forum would disagree, but that's your opinion.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

That's actually a good question. I just don't know – it depends on what person you would replace Don Gilmore with.

Though, if your question was, for example, "Would they be where they are today without Jeff Blue?", then the answer would most likely be a plain no. But you never know – someone else might have given them a chance had it not been for Blue.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Pidgey has the point.

Queef

Queef Banned

So you think the production on the first two albums sucks?

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

......Here:

Queef

Queef Banned

you sdaid his production "blows donkey dick" wouldnt that be worse than radio friendly?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I'd say that the production on the first two albums is arguably too compressed, and I would like to hear the bass.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Don Gilmore was clearly working on behalf of the interest of Warner Bros. Chester has alluded to the fact that the guy was a dick in several interviews. He gave an example about how Gilmore kept asking him to record vocals in a way that the lines would overlap (listen to Figure.09's chorus as an example). When Chester brought up that he wouldn't be able to do that live, Gilmore told him it "wasn't his problem."

The guy only seemed to care about doing whatever he/the label thought made a song radio friendly. That meant re-writing lyrics, turning the vocals way up in the mix, a wall of guitar, and no attention to bass (this was the early 2000s remember). No real nuance in the production, just doing whatever it took to make it catchier on the radio. I'm sure people more knowledgeable on mixing could provide more examples. Did this lead to more success for the band? It probably did in some ways. But he wasn't serving the music, so I'm glad they stopped working with him as soon as they could.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Queef

Queef Banned

where is the evidence, post these interviews

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Lol. Much defensive, such sceptic. :doge:

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I actually quite like the production on those 2 albums, I guess I just can't imagine those songs differently. And yeah, there were a lot of things being written at that time which didn't fit that HT/Meteora sound, and were left out. I think the albums in one way benefit from being more cohesive as a result, but I think that if they had polished up those ideas and fit them smoothly into the albums, that sense of cohesiveness wouldn't have been lost and we would have gotten more diverse and interesting albums. HT for example features no pure rap songs (dedicated, high voltage), no rapped choruses (PoA demo), no pure soft songs (she couldn't), and very few interesting song structures (forgotten is really the only one that made it into the album), which were all things the band were writing at the time. We can only assume that these didn't make it into the album because Warner wasn't interested in any experimentation from the band, and it's hard to know whether those things would have even worked well on the album, maybe the songs we got were actually the best, we might be sick of some of the other demo ideas if they were actually part of the album and we were constantly hearing them. I think the album would have benefitted from the diversity, but it's really hard to know, maybe the whole feel and flow of the album would have suffered. Who knows.

Queef

Queef Banned

What? don't call me names I just want proof of what shes saying

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

lolwat.

http://issuu.com/one_nation/docs/onn_boysofsummer_singlepage_-no_vid

Scroll to page 13. Chester says this: "I remember saying that to our producer, Don Gilmore, 'This isn't going to work, I can't do this live.' Don was really good at this kind of stuff, he goes, 'Sounds like your problem, not mine.'"

In this particular interview, Chester tries to put a positive spin on it by talking about having the freedom to do whatever they wanted in the studio. He's being polite. I tried finding the other interview, which is a video interview, but I didn't feel like spending hours looking at every interview since 2012. If you want to take a crack at it, you can. In that interview, he was more negative about Don Gilmore's attitude in the studio and used the "sounds like your problem" quote to demonstrate.

There's also the famous "10-year-old in Cleveland" quote from the Making of Meteora where Don Gilmore says the lyrics should be written so 10 year olds can relate to it. Many of Mike and Chester's frustrations with the first two albums seem to have come from Don Gilmore, as they've both talked about being frustrated with rewrites.

Long story short: Don Gilmore was a key component of making Linkin Park a marketable brand for Warner Bros. He wanted them to make shiny, overproduced, dumbed down songs to appeal to kids. Linkin Park's image in the early days was essentially "edgy boy band." They were angry and edgy enough to make a kid feel like they were being rebellious, but they were wholesome enough that they "didn't feel the need to curse" and would be approved by parents.

I hope I'm not blowing anyone's mind in this thread by calling Hybrid Theory and Meteora what they are: pop music. We've had discussions about this dozens of times on this forum. Don Gilmore added to that. Does this mean you can't like those albums? Of course not. But part of their pop appeal was the slick overproduction, and many mixing enthusiasts seem to have mixed feelings about it.

So did Don Gilmore help Linkin Park achieve success? Sure. But he wasn't good for them as artists, and they will never work with him again. Why would they?

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[thumb]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/014/969/d9q75iv.gif[/thumb]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.