I may have found some rare demos...

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by limonpower, May 27, 2015.

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

So i was browsing one of my favorite BBS's and I checked to see if there were any new files. A few minutes before I logged on, two files were uploaded. Their names were "lpiy.mp3" and "lpsq.mp3". I didn't know what to even think of them, so I checked their descriptions. Both had the same description: "LinkinPark". I downloaded them and gave them a listen.

lpiy.mp3 - Sounds like a live performance, almost definitely by Linkin Park. Mike is talking while the band plays and Chester sings something "Be Yourself" which is also the title of the song. The 'iy' in the title probably stands for "In Yourself", a commonly mistaken title of the song. Mike seems to have a voice crack at one point which is amusing.

lpsq.mp3 - An instrumental track. No way to tell if this is LP, but I feel like it is considering it's coming from the same source. Doesn't sound like anything too familiar, so it might be something completely unreleased. Sounds similar to Hands Held High, possibly Song Q.

Here's a screenshot from the page I downloaded them from.
    lp demos maybe.gif

And here's the files:
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c3ixbfok0ittg/LP_Demos_Maybe

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Nothing new, Go to 31:12
    [video=youtube;nAFNqGaqR2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFNqGaqR2s[/video]

limonpower

Wow, i guess I must've missed that song, is there any more info on it? That covers lpiy.mp3, but what about lpsq.mp3?

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Song 1 is Be Yourself, used as a type of mini "break" track back when they were touring for HT. The second track is unfamiliar, but it definitely does not sound like an LP track. Sounds like something from a Chuck e cheese arcade game.

limonpower

Haha, thanks for the info. I just gave lpsq another listen, and it sounds kind-of like Hands Held High. You think there's any connection?

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

No problem. And not really. Still don't think its related to LP. Maybe someone else on the forum might recognize it, but it doesn't sound like a legit track by them.

limonpower

Yeah, I didn't think it sounded much like them, but it's weird that it was uploaded with the other and both say LinkinPark as the description. It seemed like it could possibly have been a Mike demo like Hemispheres or something.

EDIT: They were both uploaded in very close proximity to eachother by someone supposedly named Charles Gnarley (that's their screen name).

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

lpiy would be Linkin Park - In Yourself and lpsq could be Linkin Park - Song Q.
    In yourself is the "wrong" name given to the song, the "real" name should be Be Yourself.
    Song Q is the demo title of Hands Held High, and has not been released anywhere previously. If that lpsq is legit, which I sadly doubt it is, it would be new.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

The melody definitely sounds kinda like HHH. So Lpsq could really stand for Song Q, like Kevin said.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I can't believe that is the same band.

limonpower

I did some more research last night and came up with the same info. Is there any way to figure out if Song Q is legit?

Queef

Queef Banned

Sounds like gahbige

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I can't listen to lpsq right now, but I will when I get home.

Also "Be Yourself" or what not, has had conflicting stories over the years. Pretty sure a band member (Mike possibly?) said a few years ago that it was just them screwing around live, and not actually a written song or anything like that. Which would explain why Chester's lyrics are practically mumbled gibberish apart from "Be Yourself". Although, in the same light Mike used Dedicated as a 'freestyle' on a radio show once, and Linkin Park back then were definitely not the kind of band to just jam live/pull ideas randomly out of their ass on the fly, so it really makes you wonder how accurate the 'just a jam' claim really is.

Queef

Queef Banned

Agreed they are liars

limonpower

I remember watching that freestyle and just thinking "... this is Dedicated..." lol. I could potentially see Be Yourself just being them messing around though, because it does just sound like something improvised for an intermission, aside from Chester's singing.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

What is a BBS? The Hands Held High thing sounds like a Hands Held High Demo played through speakers then recorded with a cell phone or something, but the melody is there for sure. And given the variety of their demos, it's impossible to say something definitively sounds like them or not. It does have the basic chord progression, something that sounds like the "amen" melody, and even a kind of marching drum sound to it.

limonpower

A BBS is a Bulletin Board System, which is basically a severely outdated means of communication over the internet. Check this out if you want more info. I agree completely with your thoughts on lpsq. It wouldn't surprise me if it was recorded like that, considering lpiy isn't in great quality either.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

limonpower

Ah, that sucks :/
    At least we have the info though!

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Yeah I suspected it was that one, just never double checked.