Dragon Ball Super

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 28, 2015.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

According to Anime News Network, a brand-new Dragon Ball anime series, entitled Dragon Ball Super, will begin airing in Japan this coming July.

Dragon Ball Super will be set several years after the defeat of Majin Buu with the Earth in a time of peace, which was the ending of Dragon Ball Z. Showrunners have hinted at villains even more powerful than those ever encountered during the series prior.

Dragon Ball Super will follow the events of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (and, by extension, Dragon Ball Kai), and, for the first time, the two most-recent Dragon Ball Z movies, Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F', will be considered canon in the series; no other movie is considered to be canon in the Dragon Ball universe.

Ostensibly, this means that the events of Dragon Ball GT, which Dragon Ball Super will ignore, are no longer considered to be canon.

What do you guys think? I'm excited as hell.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

This show isn't canon either, Toriyama is only being credited for Original Creator, just like GT.
    Tho, in terms of the anime (Not manga), both Super and GT can both still be canon if their timelines don't overlap.

Will

He's being credited for the story, too, as well as character design. For GT, he was only credited for character design.

Vic

Vic No game no life

This was so unexpected but holy shit I'm too excited.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

3 Words:

Dragon Ball GT :lol:

Vic

Vic No game no life

Huh?

diehardlpfan77

diehardlpfan77 Well-Known Member

i just hope this doesn't suck like the new movie.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

DBGT wasnt that good, seriously :lol:

(Especially in Germany where they cut 13 episodes completly :wallbash: )

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Yeah but this isn't going to be like GT.
    Toriyama is actually going to be a bigger part of the writing process.
    --> If you guys are confused on the whole "canon" aspect, you can watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDi7SC0fk38, cause it seems like you are rambling nonsense.

I liked Battle Of Gods a lot and it seems like Resurrection 'F' is going to be even better.
    Super(eh?) excited for this(or as excited as 21-year-old can be).

Vic

Vic No game no life

Oh yeah, GT for me was "meh..." but now it seems that Toriyama will have a bigger role on Super, so probably it won't suck as GT :lol:

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

As a lifelong fan of DB, I don't have any faith in this. I'm at least relieved to see that Toriyama has written the plot himself, so hopefully it won't be as embarrassingly awful as GT was. Then again, this is the same man that got Super Saiyan 2 & 3 confused, as well as other mistakes. I'll watch it only for nostalgia, but I really wish the series would just end. BoG was just ok to me, I expect to feel the same towards RoF and this new series as well. Regardless, this will be a huge cash cow worldwide, it's something people have been wanting for well over a decade +. I really wish I could be more excited for this, but until I see a preview of it I can't say I care much at all.

But....who I am kidding, I'll still end up watching it in subs as soon as they're available, and buy the season sets as they release regardless of how potentially awful this could be. Can't help it. The good news here is that it's an anime series (With likely a manga adaption) instead of it being manga first, so there should naturally be little filler and better pacing. No more "Namek will explode in 5 minutes" only to last 20+ episodes.

Will

Are you talking about me?

Also I got maybe 30 seconds into that video before that guy's voice started annoying the fuck out of me.

It's pretty straightforward. I remember reading an article back in the day in which Toriyama stated that none of the movies are canon to the main series; that is, they don't take place in the same "timeline," if that makes any sense. There are also several filler arcs in the anime (such as the Garlic Jr. saga) that technically are not canon to the main series, because they're anime-only and were created strictly so Toriyama would have more time to publish the next volume (or whatever) of the manga, so that way the series could continue to draw off the manga without experiencing any lengthy gaps or delays.

Toriyama has come out and stated that Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are going to be canon to the main series, and that they directly follow the Majin Buu saga of the series; Dragon Ball Super will pick up where Resurrection 'F' leaves off. Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are the only movies that Toriyama has confirmed are canon to the main series.

The fact that Dragon Ball Super is going to pick up after Resurrection 'F', which will be set around roughly the same time as the beginning of Dragon Ball GT, means that it's extremely likely that Dragon Ball GT will no longer be considered canon.

It's not that hard to figure out.

edit —

IGN all but confirms that Akira Toriyama will be writing Dragon Ball Super, something he did not do for Dragon Ball GT.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Why don't they just remake DBZ and cut all the filler shit and rewrite the horrible parts they messed up? The finished product would be way better and it's something everybody would watch. They could easily cut it down to 100 episodes instead of 291. Updated animation, voice work, score, and a better adapted story that deviates a bit from what we've already seen. Come on!

Seriously, if the 51 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist can be remade into 64 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood only 3 years later and get a ton of attention, remaking DBZ would be an obvious home run as well.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Ummm.................................................................................................................................................Dragonball Kai

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Not sure if you've heard of it, but Dragon Ball Kai did this, it removed all the filler and condensed it down to just 99 episodes. As well as changing the dialogue to be more in line with the manga. It also had an entirely new score, but the composer got busted for plagiarizing and the season sets of the series were replaced with Z's original score. However, it wasn't exactly a remake, it still used the original animation of Z which was disappointing to many (I was fine with it though).

I should note though that it originally was only 99 episodes and ended at the Cell saga, but years later it was picked up again and continued with the Buu saga, but it's currently Japanese only.

Alexrednex

Nope, Broman.
    And you pretty much summed up all his thoughts in the video, so bravo :-D
    You just didn't take in consideration all the plot holes and inconsistencies created if you consider BoG and RoF as canon to the manga. Now to the anime, it almost makes sense.

Also -don't take everything Toriyama says at face value, he is known for contradicting himself and just making things up along the way.

Will

Ah. I apologize for coming across sounding like a dick. I didn't mean to.

And I meant that Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are now canon to the series, not the manga. There hasn't been any new manga, unless you count the one-offs and Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, who's appearing in Resurrection 'F' (which is so fucking awesome). Hell, it took Toriyama a few years to even adapt the Buu saga into the manga (at least I think he eventually adapted it), because he'd always intended to end the manga and the anime with Gohan as the absolute-strongest character, but Toei wanted to keep going, so they did.

About Toriyama contradicting himself, I think the things he contradicts himself over are really weird, but I still take his word over most things, simply because Dragon Ball is his creation, so regardless of whether he gets a few things wrong here or there, what he says is ultimate-authority, y'know?

The dude's voice in that video, though. Ugh. Horrible. :lol:

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Wow never heard of Kai. I'm way out of the DBZ loop.

From what I've found on YouTube the score is absolutely horrific compared to whatever version I'm thinking of. Funimation maybe. Frieza voice sucks. Even the animation looks weird. Should have kept the original voice actors and redone the animation. Seems like they failed huge with Kai.

Will

As far as I'm aware, Kai was hugely successful. And I think they had to recast Freeza because the original voice actress died, but I'm not completely sure on that one. I think almost all the other voice actors are the same, though, although I think there were some recasts, so that one person wasn't voicing six or seven characters (Chris Sabat) which got rid of the illusion of several different characters sounding exactly the same. Redoing the animation would've cost too much money, though, so all Toei did was repair any damaged cels they came across and updated the color palate.

Alexrednex

Some people like it, some people don't.
    To me, it seems like nostalgia just plays too big of a role for you.
    They can't please all fans, when they aren't allowed to change ANYTHING from ANY versions of the shows there have been.
    There will always be people complaining.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015