Dragon Ball Super

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 28, 2015.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

These things were more or less shown at the end of the manga after the time skip, so I feel like you are given GT way too much credit.
    They more or less based their personalities based on Toriyama's own vision. They unfortunately didn't really build upon it in a meaningful way.
    Especially Goten wasn't utilized at all in GT and became an irrelevant and unlikable side character.
    But as everyone knows, GT stands for Goku Time.

And there is no point in having this Gohan discussion again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I'm giving GT credit for expanding on the characters. I am speaking purely from a psychological point. Goten is half human, which like his brother, plays a role in his behavior. At the time, Goten is a teen focused more on friends and dating which constitutes some of the biggest aspects of a teenage boy. No matter how much you liked/disliked his character, that is how his character would act for his age. Chichi also grew much more lenient, slowly loosening her grip on how much she wanted Goten to be a scholar as well so he wouldn't necessarily be a carbon copy of Gohan, but fighting would also be one of the last things on his mind. As for GT, it most definitely does not stand for Goku Time.

"I had GT mean ‘Grand Touring’, a great journey, since the scenario was that they’d be running around the universe."
    - Akira Toriyama

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm willing to admit Vegeta has definitely changed regarding his pride. So his demeanor during the movie could make sense. But they didn't go one second into his and Frieza's history. If you're going to make it a point earlier in the movie that Vegeta has anger issues and that's a weakness, you could have easily used that plot point when Vegeta and Frieza met up. You could have Frieza goading Vegeta about his death and suffering and have Vegeta go through flashbacks or a monologue about how he's changed, learned, and improved as a person and as a warrior. This would be a callback to Whis' advice and give us more depth into Frieza's and Vegeta's history. Two birds with one stone. That'd be skillful writing.

And if Vegeta can evolve as a character, then Gohan definitely can as well. It's okay to be a naive kid and think you want to be "scholar", but it's a huge stretch for me to believe he would keep that mindset after all he went through from ages 4 to 9. His mental development would be so fucked up. His whole life he saw people suffer and die, and he attributes that to him being too weak. Personally I would think by the time the Cell fight is over Gohan would either completely mentally shut down and avoid fighting and all social interaction or he would turn into a cold-blooded tactical killer. Like an extreme Vegeta. We forget that the sole reason for him transforming into SSJ and SSJ2 is because he's basically traumatized. To simply handwave that away and have him lead a normal human life is a big "fuck you" to DBZ fans that deserved a better product than what we got after the Cell Saga.

And if Goku really wanted to troll Chi-Chi, he could tell her that he's technically a scholar. He's one of the most knowledgeable in his field of study.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

http://mangafox.me/manga/dragon_ball/v42/c324/4.html
    Yes... And all that was established by the end of the manga
    The "expanding" of his character was literally that one thing.

:rolleyes:

Dalmore

Dalmore Ⓘⓝⓥⓘⓝⓒⓘⓑⓛⓔ

Haven't watched DBZ for years but now that I know that there's a continuation I'm gonna root for it! Is Vegeta the same old loser who gets his ass kicked by everybody or is he as strong as Goku in this one?

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

DBZ fans should like this. Wasn't sure where to put it. Makes you realize how much potential the story has when it's in a capable writer's hands.

[youtube]HM20wwzl4Ds[/youtube]