Dragon Ball Super

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 28, 2015.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

No, the score is actually horrible. A bad score ruins even the best of productions. It tells the viewer how and what to feel. A good score amplifies the emotion that's intended by the writing. The Kai score sucks it all away. Instead of feeling like I'm watching an epic anime, it feels like I'm watching a cheesy kid's show.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I can understand that.
    The Budokai HD remastered edition didn't appeal to me because it didn't have the original score, and all the new songs added just seemed so.... meh.
    But even in that case, I still think nostalgia plays a big role.

As underwhelming as DBGT is, it still had an awesome score.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

DBZ is my favorite anime, so I am very hyped for this!

Also, if any of you have a MAL, add me: BlissKTT

(Currently watching Shigatsu, everyone should check it out)

Vic

Vic No game no life

Found this quite funny

[video=youtube;RIzIbJvkBVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzIbJvkBVU[/video]

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Cautiously optimistic.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think it'll be good. I thought Battle of Gods was great (for what it was, which was a reintroduction to Dragon Ball Z after so many years) and I've got high expectations for Resurrection 'F', so if Super continues on those trends, I think I'll be happy with the final product. I'm just glad Akira Toriyama's taking a larger role in the production of Super as opposed to barely being involved at all with GT.

I hope Gohan gets his chance to shine in Super. Like I've said dozens of times, it was always Toriyama's intention to end the series with Gohan surpassing Goku and being the strongest Saiyan – period. Toei wanted to keep the show going, though, which eventually lead to the Great Saiyaman, World Tournament, and Majin Buu sagas, which, as far as I'm aware, didn't exist in the manga until after they were created for the show, and they were added to the manga afterward. Gohan deserves to be a more powerful, less useless member of the team in the new series, especially after having his dormant powers unlocked by the Old Kai. That needs to be a huge plot point in Super, I think.

travz21

Mystic Gohan was bullshit. Stupid plot device that didn't even amount to anything since he got slurped up by Buu anyways. And the reason he doesn't transform to SSJ anymore makes zero sense.

Will

That's why it needs to be a plot point. They need to address it. It was supposed to be this amazing transformation but wasn't. I hope they fix that.

travz21

I just watched Battle of the Gods. Pretty slow but the story has potential if it actually leads into Dragon Ball Super.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

For those of you that were talking earlier in the thread about needing to have a remake of DBZ to be more concise, may I recommend TFS's Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

Will

Abridged is basically the best thing ever.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I never watched the DBZ anime(only when I was like 10 and it was on the air in my country - and that was only like the saiyan saga) but I have read the manga like a 100 times, so watching TFS DBZ Abridged is literally my first time watching all of the anime.
    And it's amazing.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Ok, I overreacted. Despite the skepticism, I loved the first episode and it cleared away any worries I've had. It's like a mix of DB and Z blended together. It's really silly so far, and that's what I've missed. I'm excited to see BoG and RoF retold throughout the show in much more detail.

Favorite moments so far

1. Piccolo stalking Gohan & Videl
    2. Mr. Satan giving money to Goku, whom of which only reluctantly accepts after Goten mentions that Chi-Chi would let him go train with King Kai if she had the money
    3. Goku leaving his family the first chance he got, classic

Also, can't wait to see Vegeta's family trip

[​IMG]

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Isnt this kind of a spoiler? :lol:

But i agree, i really like it too and cant wait for the next episode, especially about Vegeta :rofl:

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Personally, I enjoyed the first episode thoroughly. It is as though the series had never left us! To truly enjoy the lighthearted direction the series has taken with the first episode, prior viewing and enjoyment of Dragon Ball would serve to favor your watching experience. My one and only gripe with the series is the animation; it does in fact paint the show with an atmosphere of being children's cartoon program of which would understandably turn-off a lot of the 'hardcore dbz-only' demographic. Despite this factor, the production captured the underlying fun-loving spirit that has always been prevalent throughout the series. Hopefully Toei & Toriyama continue with this direction for a while longer as it definitely gives us further insight towards the daily lives of our beloved characters.

Welcome back Goku. :)

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode. This feels so much like the original Dragon Ball, I love it. I'm glad they're going into this direction, a nice mix of both DB and DBZ. Can't wait for more episodes!

Will

OK, so...we know that Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are being treated as canon – the first time the Dragon Ball series has treated its movies as canon – and that the movies will tie into the anime itself. What I didn't know was how that was going to be accomplished. I did a little bit of research to find out (and, by "research," I mean I looked on Reddit) so I'm going to post it here.

Super begins six months following Buu's defeat, but Battle of Gods takes place approximately four years following Buu's defeat. The anime will catch up with the events of the movie, and then will continue on, and then will eventually catch up with the events of Resurrection 'F'. The anime will feature a "retelling" of each of the movies' events, before moving on into another storyline altogether. What I'm curious about is what these "retellings" will entail. I can't wait to find out.

So...there you go. I'd been wondering (and I'm sure other people were wondering as well) and now I know – and now you know...and knowing is half the battle.

edit —

I'd also like to point out that I was wrong about Super taking place after Resurrection 'F' in some previous replies I'd made in this thread. I'd just assumed Super was taking place after.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    travz21

Seems weird to have the movies spoil the anime storyline. I didn't find the movies to be that good, but I thought the idea of different universes to be really interesting as it could introduce a little sci-fi into the series. Plus it's a decent way to create more storylines without being totally lame and cliche. But now I'll just be waiting for the anime to catch up to the movie timelines since I don't see how anything worthwhile could happen beforehand.

Will

I doubt we'll have to wait long before the anime gets into its new storylines. I'm guessing they really wanted the movies to matter and to be canon (since none of the other movies mattered or were canon) and so that's why they decided to set up the beginning of Super the way they did and to tie-in the movies the way they're going to. It all makes sense when you think about it.

I'm assuming we'll see a minor villain prior to the Battle of Gods arc and another minor villain prior to the Resurrection 'F' arc before the anime takes off into uncharted territory.