Official 'Game of Thrones' Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 12, 2015.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't mind posting book spoilers if you're making a reference to something, which I've had to do a couple times, to explain a point I was making. People who've read the books can feel free to read those spoilers because they've got nothing to fear, as far as being spoiled's concerned. But I still think anything that can be considered a spoiler should be placed in the invisible tag. Personally, I don't give a shit about spoilers; I spoil everything for myself all the time, because I need to know what happens. Hell, I've spoiled movies for myself minutes before I've gone to the theater to see them. But that doesn't mean other people want to see spoilers. Like I said, regardless of whether or not the thread has the word "spoilers" in the title, I think everything should be treated as a spoiler (It's not that hard to highlight the text, is it? :lol:) and book spoilers should be specifically pointed out. /shrug

In reference to what you said about Cersei: Hm. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they'd used a body double for Lena Headey for that scene, so we won't actually get to see the real Cersei on her penance walk. But I'm looking forward to it, too. It should be a powerful scene. It's one of my favorites from the books.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

[video=youtube;1URvDyzh8uI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URvDyzh8uI[/video]

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

By the way....

I am fucking sick of these over-sensitive/politically correct pussies moaning about the last episode's rape scene. "Ooo they went too far, I won't watch the show anymore". Even people who don't watch the show are weighing in with their oh so important bullshit opinion. Give me a fucking break!

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I disagree with a lot of what has been said about spoilers, but I shan't pursue this topic any further. Do as you please...

I wouldn't be excited for that because Lena Headey uses a body double.

I agree. It's like the previous scene with Jamie and Cersei. Why the hell is rape suddenly a problem in a show that features killing in pretty much every episode, including that of children, that features torture, cruelty, people treating each other like shit all the fucking time? I do not understand. I actually appreciate the show for it, and not just the show but the entire series as a whole – it is realistic. These aren't darn bedtime stories...

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Because now a major, likeable character got raped.

Will

I'd say this has a lot to do with it, for sure, and I think the fact that Theon was forced to watch has been a part of it, as well. But the backlash still doesn't make any sense to me. The books and the show are based on medieval/feudal England and this kind of shit happened all the time. And it's not like the show's glorifying it; the writers and directors have clearly made specific things like Ramsay/Sansa look incredibly disgusting/deplorable/detestable/other 'D' words. I don't understand the backlash when horrible things have been happening throughout the entire show.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I completely understand the outrage at the Jaime and Cersei rape scene. Not only did it seem out of character, but it was brushed off like it never happened almost immediately afterwards. So, to me, it was rightfully scorned for appearing to serve no purpose other than shock value. As for Ramsey raping Sansa, yes, it's certainly in line with his character, but I think a lot of people are getting tired of Sansa existing almost purely to be tormented. Before this, I was really behind where Sansa was heading as a character, but now it's almost like she's back at square one. To be fair, as a fan I obviously have no idea where this will lead, and there could very well be a justifiable and earned payoff. There's a lot of potential for her character to be redeemed. As it stands, though, the scene just felt like Game of Thrones hitting a predictable beat. Time will tell, I suppose.

I blame some of this season's sloppiness on just how much story the show's writers are trying to cram into one season. So many character arcs are being consolidated to speed up the pacing, which is understandable to a point. But some of this shit is inexcusable. That fight scene last episode? C'mon, they can do better than that.

lime treacle

I don't get how Jaime found it appropriate to just walk straight into the castle garden and ask for Myrcella to join him whilst she was with her bethroted? Um, what...?!

EDIT: Changed a couple terms because I fucked up.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The fight scene had nothing to do with the writing, though. The choreography and execution just sucked.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Oh, I know. I was saying that the shittiness of that scene can't be excused by writing or anything else, really. :lol:

Yeah, I felt the same way, Robert. I know Jaime is meant to be an impulsive and emotional character, but it seems rash even by his standards.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Will

I've had some time to think about it and I've read some articles (from both sides) about it and I think the biggest issue everyone seems to have with the Ramsay/Sansa rape scene isn't that there was a depiction of a rape (which has happened several times previously on the show) or that the rape never happened in the books, but that the rape happened to an incredibly well-liked character who had four-plus seasons of character development seemingly undone with one scene (and Theon was forced to watch, to a lesser extent). As far as I'm concerned, these sentiments are legitimate, but without having seen the next episode (or episodes, for that matter), we don't know whether or not the scene was unjustifiable or unnecessary or pointless as far as the show's narrative's concerned. I'm still of the opinion that this'll be the event that causes Sansa to snap and go full-on Littlefinger and start manipulating Ramsay while drumming up support in the North.

But for the rest of the people who're claiming they're done with the show because of its depiction of a gratuitous rape scene – I think that's absolutely absurd. I've watched every episode of the show at least a handful of times, and I read most articles about the show that I can find that seem interesting and come from respectable sites. The loudest and most vocal opponents to certain scenes I've seen have been the Jaime/Cersei rape scene following the Purple Wedding and the Ramsay/Sansa rape scene following their wedding, and almost all of them have been written by extreme feminists (the kind who think women should have power over men, and not the kind who think men and women should be equal). I saw very few, if any at all, articles about Theon's torture at the hands of Ramsay; you can bet your ass if that had happened to a woman on the show, the articles would've been flowing forth like lava from a volcano. The trouble's that too many people treat sexual violence and/or domestic violence against men with a shrug of their shoulders, but they still get up in arms when it happens to a woman. I'm not condoning sexual violence or domestic violence against women in the slightest; I'm just saying the same violence against men should be treated with the same contempt, but it's not.

Of course, I suppose this is all a discussion for another time in another thread. Overall, as I've said before, I maintain that the rape scene will, in fact, play a pivotal role in Sansa's character development. She's a lot stronger than I think a lot of people are giving her credit for based on everything she's gone through, and I think this is simply the final straw before she finally decides that enough is enough. All hail the Queen in the North!

edit —

Also, I need to bring this up, since I was re-reading some replies to this thread in order to type up this post:

@Jesse – "The North remembers" can't be a Ramsay plot. Everyone in the North hates the Boltons for their betrayal of the Starks at the Red Wedding. And in fact, the Boltons were never held in high regard in the North before that anyway. Their ways have always been seen as extremely barbaric and unnecessary. Hell, it's made pretty clear in the show that even the Small Council thinks working with the Boltons is a bad idea. Sure, the Boltons have blood of the First Men in them, but they're as far removed from the Starks as any House could be. That said, Ramsay could've gone around Winterfell, telling everyone of this "the North remembers" plot, but I'd be willing to bet and guarantee that the majority of those people would've rather died than betray the Starks as the Boltons betrayed the Starks; there'd be no smallfolk left in Winterfell to even enact a "the North remembers" plot. No, I think it's all completely genuine. No one in Winterfell is loyal to the Boltons; they're all still Stark supporters through and through, and I think Sansa's going to end up calling on the banners from White Harbor here soon enough.

Have you ever read the books, Jesse? I want to send you a link that kind of ties in to all of this, but if you haven't read the books, I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    lime treacle

If Sansa hadn't given in, Ramsay would have had to break her eventually. Like this, he didn't even have to break her – she's his, she's nothing to worry about. By giving in, Sansa puts him under that very illusion. But of course she knows better than to blindly do what she's told... therefore I think we can be quite excited for the rest of the season.

Will

[youtube]zs7xO5P3Az4[/youtube]

Everything about this is my favorite thing ever.

lime treacle

Yes, the video is fantastic.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

@Will I will try to give a detailed response later. This site is sort of weird on my mobile...

But yes, I have read all the books. As well as everything released of The Winds of Winter and the short stories. Have you read The Princess and the Queen?

Also, I am in the minority of readers who really enjoyed A Feast of Crows.

Except... Victorion/Euron/Kingsmoot, and the entire Ironborn plot except Theon and Asha in Winterfell.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

This is awesome, hahaha. Can't stop watching Rastafarian Targaryen.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Will

@Jesse —

Since you've read the books, have you ever heard of the Grand Northern Conspiracy?

And I don't mind the Ironborn storyline; I think it's going to be immensely important in the last two books. I don't like any of the characters except for Theon, though.

But no, I haven't read The Princess and the Queen. In fact, I haven't read anything aside from the main books, because I can never find them in book stores, funny enough.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

@Will

BOOK SPOILERS. DO NOT READ FURTHER, IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE SERIES.

Yes, I have heard of the Grand Northern Conspiracy. I don't see how it plays out in the show though. The show seems to have forgotten most of the relevant houses/allies. I mean, not even the BHWoB is is reeking havoc, nor are there Manderly, Umber plots or Frey pies or, Stone Heart (I know there is a popular theory about the show, but even then, eh), Northern hill clansmen, If you think about it, even though the Starks keep getting shit on, there's been plenty of threads for those hoping for justice... not really so in the show. I hope I'm wrong. Man, I love the Grand Northern Consipracy and consider it to be almost fact. Just one step below R+L=J.

Will

Don't read this if you haven't read any of the books. Plus, it's for Jesse anyway. Get out of here, you nosy S.O.B.

@Jesse —

I think the Grand Northern Conspiracy's fact, too. If Jon's dead, that means he's technically fulfilled his oath to the Night's Watch. I think Melisandre's going to sacrifice Shireen (she's got kings' blood in her veins, after all, and Stannis left her, Melisandre, and Queen Selyse at the Wall) to resurrect Jon, and it's going to turn out that Jon's Azor Ahai – and everything's been pointing that way. Then, with his oath to the Night's Watch fulfilled, Jon as Azor Ahai will help Stannis liberate Winterfell (or possibly just kill Stannis as well) and he'll reconstitute the north for the upcoming battle with the Great Other and the white walkers.

I think the show's still going to set up Jon becoming Azor Ahai, but I think they're going to play down Jon being the King in the North and they're instead going to focus on Sansa being the Queen in the North – that'll be the show's version of the Grand Northern Conspiracy. I started thinking about that after seeing the handful of characters who kept telling Sansa that the north remembers. I think Manderly and White Harbor will be introduced some time soon, because Stannis still hasn't sent off Davos to find Rickon, which I think will happen in the next episode or two, and I think that will set up the show's version of the Grand Northern Conspiracy, which will be the northern lords' plan to install Sansa as the Queen in the North, which has all been set up by Littlefinger.