Between The Buried And Me

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Alexrednex, Apr 6, 2015.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Coma Ecliptic is the upcoming seventh full-length studio album by American progressive metal band Between the Buried and Me, to be released on July 7, 2015 through Metal Blade Records.
    The first single, "Memory Palace" was released on April 3, 2015, and can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/btbam-memory-palace

The band has stated that the concept of Coma Ecliptic will involve a man stuck in a coma, journeying through his past lives. It was added that the man faces a choice to either stay or move on to something better. Each song will be its own episode in a sort of "The Twilight Zone-esque" fashion.

So are you excited for the record?
    What do you think of the first single?
    What are your thoughts on Between The Buried and Me?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly haven't dived enough into their discography yet but Colors is one of my favorite progressive metal albums of all time, so I really feel it's time to get caught up with their music before this new album drops.
    Not sure how I feel about Memory Palace yet, I have always been pretty indecisive on how I feel about the clean vocals in BTBAM.
    The ending seems very Pink Floyd inspired, which kind of worked for me.
    And I really like the "wah-wah" guitar licks on this track.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    deftonesfan867 likes this.
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

This new song is extremely boring, and the vocals (both clean and harsh) are terrible. I figured they would go in this kind of direction, but it is just so derivative that I can't even enjoy it. This band has been going downhill ever since The Great Misdirect.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

They're one of my fave bands! I love the Parallax II: Future Sequence. Colors might be one of my fave metal albums of all time!
    I don't know how I feel about this one. It's certainly not bad, though it drags a little bit! (wish it had more heavier parts and less wankery)
    Let's see how the full album turns out. Maybe I'll appreciate it more in the context of the album.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I don't get the hate for The Parallax II: Future Sequence.
    I just got around listening to it, in preparation for their new record(and the fact, that I'm going to see them live with Haken) and it's actually a pretty solid record IMO.

Gibs

JEALOUS! I would love to see Haken, but their tour with BMTH is only Europe, and the Haken U.S. tour isn't coming to Texas.... :cocainefan:

Side Note: Memory Palace has grown on me a LOT. Might go pick me up a copy of Coma Ecliptic when it releases.

chris2

I'm actually on the same page as Gibs!
    After several listens it clicked with me! Now I'm even more excited for Coma Ecliptic. I'm sure BTBAM won't disappoint.
    As for The Parallax II: Future Sequence: I don't get it either! It's actually a fantastic album!

EDIT: A new video has been released! It's actually pretty good!

[video=youtube;R40wAZxMsTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA919CDADE23267B1&v=R40wAZxMsTg&pxtry=1[/video]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Gibs

chris2

The song is so good! It's probably my fave out of those released so far.
    This gets me even more excited for the album!

Gibs

I just finished my first playthrough of Coma Ecliptic. With this album, I took a "leap of faith" in buying it, as the only Between the Buried and Me album I've truly liked front to back thus far is Colors. I bought it because I really dug Memory Palace and The Coma Machine. Coma Ecliptic is the direction I've always wanted BtBaM to go in, Proggy as fuck, with less of the Extreme Metal. It's the best album they've ever put out. What really suprised me was how they unshamingly display their clear influences (Dream Theater), without sounding derivative. Though I've never been a big fan of Thomas Giles's clean vocals, I thought they did a great job at making him sound as great as possible. With my next few playthroughs, I'm going to try to figure out what the story of the album actually is. From descriptions I've read on the internet, it sounds really interesting.

Highlights:
    The Coma Machine
    The Ectopic Stroll
    Memory Palace
    King Redeem / Queen Serene

Lowlights:
    Rapid Calm

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    chris2

deftonesfan867 likes this.
    deftonesfan867