When was the first time you listened to a Linkin Park song?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Hishaminayat, Mar 3, 2015.

Hishaminayat

Hishaminayat Active Member

First of all, I would like to apologize in case if there was a thread related to this or if there WAS a thread like this before. Second. I'm sorry for my English and typos.

So, when was the first time you heard a Linkin Park song? Which one was it? What did it feel like? What was your reaction?

My first time hearing Linkin Park was in 2006. '300' was released that year. I was 10 years old and was sitting in front of the TV and flipping through the channels. This channel popped on and it was showing Leonidas's death scene (Yup. I was a pretty messed up 10 year-old) but in the background, I heard Chester sing. They were playing 'In The End' over that clip and I was just like, "This sounds good..." I never heard that song after that for half year. We didn't have an internet connection back then. For almost an year, I tried to find the title of the song and a person who sang it. I used to imagine that Mike was a fat Mexican guy in a hoodie and that Chester was a Neo from Matrix, singing. I'm sorry but I was a kid. I didn't know much about accents and stereotypes. I don't even know if I should've used the word 'stereotype' right now. Anyways, after searching and searching. I found their CDs from a local electronic shop. They were Hybrid Theory and Meteroa. As time went by, they changed and matured and WE all with them. I absolutely love all their albums. They're all No. 1. Come on, this is Linkin Park. We adore these guys.

Share your story if you want to.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"One Step Closer" on a music video program in late 2000, I think. I don't remember clearly the first time I heard it, but what I do remember was that, later on, one of the teachers I had that year put it on repeat for an afternoon while we did work. I was nine years old or so, and didn't actually become a fan until late 2001

mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

BREAKING the habit on mtv back then in the days

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Papercut music video on Kerrang TV

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Wow , i am sure that i listen to some songs much earlier, but the first moment i can remember is 2009. A good friend show me this band he like, and the first songs were In The End, Breaking The Habit and Numb. Now i am the Fanboy :lol:

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

'The Catalyst' MV on MTV,back in '10

EDIT: Uh,no.Actually that was the first time I DIG them.
    I was browsing my aunt's Mp3,a couple years earlier,and saw 'In The End' and played it.I felt kinda hooked.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Numb in MTV. I wasn't a rock fan back in the day though, so it never really got on at me.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Faint. Two months before ATS dropped I found out about Faint and Linkin Park. I got into them just in time to anticipate the release of ATS.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

New Divide on MTV in 2009. Loved it back then. I remember that they also played What I've Done on the radio occasionally. However, I didn't become a fan until I saw the music video for The Catalyst and decided to buy ATS (I'm pretty sure there aren't many people who got into LP with ATS). Later I found HT in my dad's CD collection so it's possible that I've already heard some of their songs when I was a little kid.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Fuck, it must've been Somewhere I Belong just before Meteora released. It quickly became an obsession.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I must be a special individual.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I'm sure I heard One Step Closer or In The End on the radio back in the day, but the first song that struck out that I truly remember was Numb with that iconic synth. I also remember Faint for that "wild song where the singer never stops screaming".

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I heard "In The End" in about 2008 and instantly fell in love with it. In 2009 I started discovering the rest of the band's discography via YouTube and I knew they'd be my favorite. By 2010 I enjoyed HT, Meteora and MTM, and hated ATS. The first time I actually liked ATS was in about June 2011. Been religiously following the band since March 28, 2012, when Burn It Down got announced.

The fun part is I knew some Fort Minor songs in 2005/06 because one of my older friends listened to them, but I didn't realize there was a connection between LP and FM until 2010.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

It was "One Step Closer" in the beginning of 2001 i think, probably in February/March. But i wasn't really impressed at first, because it wasn't a musical direction i was used to, so that song feels a little strange to me. Since it was repeated very often on TV, i gave it 2 or 3 more tries and i started to like it. So i was looking forward to hear it again. At that time, i saw "Crawling" on MTV's "Brand New" which i liked immediately.

But the crucial point was as "In The End" came out. I absolutely loved that track from day one, it gave me goosebumbs everytime i heard it, i never felt that way neither before nor afterwards until now. I never was interested to a certain Interpret at that time, but that changed after that experience. So i went to the next store and listened to "Hybrid Theory" and i liked it, so i bought it. The rest is history ;).

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

A friend of mine had me listen to "A Place for My Head" a couple weeks after Hybrid Theory came out. I convinced my dad to buy me the album for Christmas.

DarkWolf08

DarkWolf08 Well-Known Member

I was watching Naruto AMV's on youtube in 2007 or 2008, and Linkin park was used all the time in that AMV's, and the first song i heard was numb! and then crawling and the rest of Meteora and HT, then when i really started liking the band, was when i was in Czech at Praga, for some days, i was listening the radio, and i heard something saying linkin park and then What i've done started, i loved it and i couldn't get it out of my head till i was back home in Spain and searched for it on the internet!
    Good memories :D

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Transformers fan so I followed the news for the first movie closely. Heard the beginning of What I've done in the trailer, and eventually the full song with the movie. I liked it, then heard In The End in a Big Lots, and was surprised to find it was the same band. I just checked out more stuff on YouTube and subscribed. I became a big fan around 2011 when (for whatever reason) screaming in music began appealing to me.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

LP are one of the few bands where I remember specifically where I was and what I was doing when I first heard them. I only got into them around 2009, my brother played New Divide and What I've Done for me on the inbuilt speaker of his iPod while I was brushing my teeth (don't ask my why or how I remember this...) but despite the awful sound quality and me only half paying attention, something clicked.

The first time I actively listened to the band was when I sat down to play Metroid Prime 3 (which is actually a fantastic game by the way) and put on Hybrid Theory (this was the first time I had ever listened to an album in full on my first listen, instead of starting with the singles and expanding to other songs, as at that point I knew none of the songs from the album, it was just the only full one my brother had at the time).

Surprisingly despite the fact that I was 11, it wasn't the lyrics that got me hooked, but the energy. I had never listened to anything quite that energetic, the blazing raps, the "heavy" riffs, the anthemic choruses. HT isn't my favourite LP album these days, but damn it's an amazing place to start.

Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

It was 2005 and I was 12 years old. Getting into the family car to leave for a trip, my sister pointed out this popular song called Numb/Encore that was playing on radio. That was the first time I'd heard LP. I'd listen to the song obsessively and wish there was a "heavier" version.

Then, one day in 2006, I heard Numb on a different radio station. I cranked it up, expecting to hear Numb/Encore. I was completely sold when the heavy guitars came in, and then proceeded to hunt down Meteora the same year. The rest is history.

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

It was in 2007. I don't remember what month but all I know is that I was driving home with my mom and Shadow of the Day came on. I remember going through the roundabout with my mom and thinking "Dang, these guys sound great. They must be this group of young guys that really passionate about music." To my surprise, Linkin Park existed for already 7 years beforehand. It wasn't long after my first listen of the Shadow of the day when I heard my brother listening to What I've Done. After that I thought what the hell lets look up the rest of their songs and so began my fanboy life.