Best Tarantino Movie?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Reed To Black, Feb 15, 2015.

?

Best Tarantino-Directed Movie

Poll closed May 26, 2015.
  1. Django Unchained

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Inglorious Bastards

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Pulp Fiction

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Reservoir Dogs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kill Bill Vol. 1

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Kill Bill Vol. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Death Proof

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jackie Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. My Best Friend's Birthday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sin City (partially)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Quentin Tarantino is a very interesting guy. Many people enjoy his movies, but it's quite hard to choose one that stands above the rest. What, in your opinion, is the best movie he has directed? And why? I have only seen a few, so my choice right now would be Kill Bill Vol. 1. I really enjoy his style, and I can't wait to see more of his movies :D

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Inglourious Basterds.

Kill Bill should really count as one though.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I haven't watched all the movies in the list above (seen 6 of them) so I don't want to vote. I love all the Tarantino movies I have seen so far with Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained being 2 of my favourite movies ever.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Both Kill Bill movies are among the worst I've ever seen. They put me off Tarantino for the longest time, since they were the first Tarantino movies I'd ever seen. I've seen all the others since, and I'd have to say Inglourious Basterds is my favorite, although I think either Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs are his strongest movies.

I don't understand how anyone can watch all his movies and say Kill Bill is the best. It's easily the worst.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Django Unchained is my favorite movie from him. I can't wait until The Hateful Eight is released.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Just finished Django. One of the best movies I've ever seen

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill is second best. Part 2 more than Part 1. Though it's hard to rate because each of his movies are so different. I could make a case for quite a few of his movies being some of the best ever.

What's most impressive is that he writes his own movies. A lot of other great directors are just hired to do a job and get someone's story on screen. But if a studio wants a Tarantino story, you're only getting it if he's director.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The thing to understand about Kill Bill is it's not TECHNICALLY in the same universe as the rest of the Tarantino films. It's a movie made in that universe. Remember this is a world where hyper-violence is completely normal. Kill Bill takes it up to 15 because 15 is a relative 8 in the Tarantino world.

They even make a point of alluding to a failed pilot called "Fox Force Five" that Uma Thurman's character was a part of in Pulp Fiction. It was about 5 deadly females with skills that are (surprise!) eerily similar to the skills of the Deadly Vipers. Theory goes that in the Tarantinoverse, Fox Force Five's failed pilot gets retooled into what eventually becomes the Kill Bill movies, starring Mia Wallace.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know all that, honestly. I just think they're rubbish films. The acting's awful, and I hate over-the-top effects like what Kill Bill's got. (They're OK sometimes, but I think Kill Bill overdoes it.) I don't know. I mean, I've seen them both multiple times, and I've never enjoyed them.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I love the fight scene in Kill Bill 1.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Inglorious Basterds. It's pretty much the apex of the stylish genre-pastiche thing Tarantino's been doing from the start. Pulp Fiction is up there too, but it's hard for me to even watch that movie objectively because there's so much nostalgia attached to it for me.

As for the Kill Bill movies, I love them. They're such a fun marriage of spaghetti westerns and '70s samurai movies. I can see how someone can be turned off by the movies though, especially if you're not a fan of that over-the-top style (and Tarantino movies, let's face it, are 95% style).