Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Tim, Feb 10, 2015.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Surprised this doesn't have it's own thread yet. How good were those first two episodes? It's obviously too early to judge the show completely, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Better call ur mom :trollface:

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I was going to make one but I'm not sure if Breaking Bad spoilers would be allowed? It's my opinion that BrBa is required viewing because of all the callbacks and visual references from that show, not to mention the way the time line on this show is laid out. I ultimately didn't want to take the heat for spoiling Breaking Bad when discussing Better Call Saul even though again, I feel that knowledge of that show is needed to go into any in depth discussions regarding character motivations and speculation on the part of the main character at all. Our knowledge of Saul's future directly influences our opinion of his present actions and I feel that to censor ourselves that we'd be hampering any significant discussion.

I know, it's weird to me that people will watch this show without having watched breaking bad and then complain about spoilers but, they're out there.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The pilot's free in iTunes.

Tim

If it concerns you that much, you could just wrap the spoiler-y text in invisible tags and put a warning up. Or you could just say whatever the hell you want about Breaking Bad, which is what I'm going to do.

Jesse

Nah. I'm not going to use spoiler tags. I just don't want to get bitched at (like I did on another forum) by people that refuse to accept that you should watch Breaking Bad before watching this series. haha

I wonder if Saul is going to die next episode?

:shinado:

Anyway, series is off to a great start. I wonder if they're going to do more with present day Saul. Tuco was a very nice surprise and I think his partner is going to be a major part of this season.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

As crazy as it sounds, I think this has more potential than Breaking Bad.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Just finished the first 2 episdoes. I'm really interested in seeing what direction this series will take. Right now, I'm not entirely convinced that Jimmy McGill's transformation into Saul Goodman will make for anything that interesting. But, it is just the first 2. I would have never guessed that Breaking Bad would become what it did, so I hope the show really does prove me wrong.

Don't get me wrong, these episodes were great. I just don't see how they're going to sustain it over multiple seasons.

Oh, and like Jesse said, the callbacks / references to Breaking Bad were great. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

So far, I find it really intriguing. I love some of the callbacks it's made to Breaking Bad, and I rather like his character. I'm excited to see where this goes!

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Not crazy at all. Some of the best parts of Breaking Bad was the humor but because the overall theme of that show you couldn't really use but so much of it. Better Call Saul won't have such restrictions (or as many, anyway) and thus allow for more of what we know they'll be good at.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Way too early to make such a claim.

With that said the first two episodes were great. Felt like it was very much in the vein of BB. The desert scene in ep two was such a throwback to BB... loved it!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

BrBa spoilers are fair game. People should expect them when discussing BCS.

His partner reminds me of Marlo from The Wire.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The universe is rich with content that's already been set up by Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul can do a bunch of really nice things with that and go a bunch of cool directions. Or it can do something entirely different. And as far as I've heard, this show will cover the past, present, and future from what we saw in Breaking Bad. So there is a lot of freedom with the storytelling. Plus hopefully Gilligan learned a lot from Breaking Bad. This is why I say there's more potential.

Jesse

Apparently Jimmy McGill lives on the same street as Gale Boetticher.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe this ties some way into how Saul knew Gus. (It's weird talking about Jimmy as past and Saul as future... and I don't even know what to think about future future or present. :lol:)

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I noticed that. Even went on Twitter to see if anyone was talking about it and no one was.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Just a quick note: I realized Bob Odenkirk used to be a writer for SNL and created one of the best comedy sketches of all time.

[video=youtube;Xv2VIEY9-A8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8[/video]

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I'm liking the show so far and it's great spotting familiar faces. The character of Saul in BB was one of my favourite characters and the desert negotiation scene in episode 2 of BCS reminded me why.

Tim

I feel like there's much more room for comedy in this show compared to Breaking Bad (not that BB didn't have its fair share of funny moments), which is nice after how dark Breaking Bad got towards the end.

Speaking of comedy, did anyone else start laughing in the first episode as soon as the prosecutor started wheeling that TV up to the jurors? The fact that the dude didn't even have to say anything let you know that you were about to witness a real mic-drop moment.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Jesse

Yeah, Tim. That was really funny when the prosecutor did that.

Though what we have to remember about BB being dark is that in the first season there was a lot of dark comedy that wasn't a big a part of the rest of the seasons. BCS could keep the consistency of the first season for BB or it could go darker. I'm hoping the comedy stays personally but I also want more serious circumstances as well. It's kind of conflicting for me.