20th Century Fox MARVEL Franchise: X-MEN Apocalypse

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Knt.Slbs, Feb 7, 2015.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

With the success of X-MEN Days of Future Past, Thanks to Bryan Singer for returning to the Mutant franchise. The X-MEN is the longest cinematic journey spanning about 15 years since the debut of X-MEN (2000) followed with the best sequel X2. However, Bryan Singer left before the production of X3 to direct Superman Returns, giving Brett Ratner to helm the mutant franchise. Sad to say, X3 received negative feedback both critics and fans during its release. After that, X-MEN Origins: Wolverine came after X3 directed by Gavin Hood, the franchise was suffering from tremendous uphill to downhill. Matthew Vaughn then handled X-MEN First Class (supposed to be X-MEN Origins: Magneto) which serves to be a prequel (others may say, it's a reboot). X-MEN First Class received praise from critics and fans for it's unique twist, cohesive plot and origins of these 2 (Prof X & Magneto). After that, things were getting stronger and getting better for The Wolverine was able to counter the terrible first solo of the same name. and recently, X-MEN Days of Future Past was a success, critically acclaimed both fans and critics providing a clean slate of the franchise.

With X-Men Apocalypse being the conclusion of the "First Class" era and Apocalypse is the big BOSS of the X-MEN Universe, where would they go next after that? Since the slate is clean, should they reboot it again? Continue to the 90s era? Make a Dark Phoenix Saga Trilogy (not the terrible X3)?

Thoughts?

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Here we go

[thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/07/15/ew-cover-1373-xmen.jpg[/thumb]

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Not digging Apocalypse's look at all. He looks neither like the actual character nor like Oscar Isaac.

The colorful costumes look great though.

More photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Next they should give the rights back to Marvel so we can get muties in my MCU.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, not too into the way Apocalypse's face looks. But film adaptions of Marvel characters especially are usually pretty hit-or-miss visually for me anyway. I'm still optimistic about the film in general. I really enjoyed Days of Future Past. The X-Men have always been one of my favorite parts of the Marvel universe.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Hopefully Apocalypse doesn't keep that form long. Looks horrible.

I really disliked Days of Future Past. First Class was a much better movie in every regard. The only reason I was excited for this movie was to see Apocalypse, so hopefully they don't fuck him up too badly.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Apocalypse looks like Ivan Ooze from the first Power Rangers movie.

edit —

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Knt.Slbs

I'm not sold to Apocalypse, really. He looks like nothing from its comic book counterpart. Others said, he is more like an Ivan Ooze with a mix of GOTG's Ronan The Accuser. They f'ked up again the best comic book villain. :facepalm:

The Joesen One

SPOILER-LESS THOUGHTS ON APOCALYPSE

1) Repetitive or unbelievable stories.
    2) It's one hot mess.
    3) Lots of interchangeable characters, which is common among these movies, but man it's getting old. Also some established characters have great moments but a lot of them are wasted in the end.
    4) The cast is still great despite the material they're given.
    5) The don't use the 80s enough.
    6) The movie lacks focus.
    7) A lot of DOFP's storylines are unintentionally negated.

SPOILER-FILLED VERSION OF MY THOUGHTS ON APOCALYPSE IN INVISITEXT (copy-pasted from a facebook post I made)

1) It's repetitive - teenage mutant angst, being left out, recycling stories and motivations
    2) Professor X and Mystique - Mystique was growing towards the vigilante she was in the original trilogy but Apocalypse made her into mutant version of Katniss with additional speeches. After the great job DOFP did with Professor X it sucks that the biggest plot involving him was his crush on Moira.
    3) I don't like the fact that Prof x and Magneto are suddenly ok in the end. i mean sure, Apocalypse is known to be a universal threat to both characters but then they suddenly make up after everything they've gone through?
    4) Biggest waste for me is the Four Horsemen. They could've clarified how their powers match their names (war, pestilence, death, famine) instead of being upgraded abilities.
    5) Usually I don't care that some characters are more developed than others, because usually that's the case with the X-films, but man it's getting old. Quicksilver seems to be the only developed new character (especially on his fantastic scene here), while the focus is on the established ones. You don't just bring in Psylocke and Angel (ESPECIALLY Angel, one of the original X-Men) and then treat them like interchangeable characters. Havok has a bigger story only to off him. Also Apocalypse was disappointing, despite Oscar Isaac doing the best he can.
    6) The movie lacks focus. First Class was clearly about Magneto, while DOFP's biggest twist imo is that it's a Professor X story. They said this new one was about Mystique, but they didn't really do much with her.
    7) Other than the costumes and references (especially Jubilee's great outfit), they don't do much 80s stuff like DOFP did with the 70s.
    8) The CGI in the final battle was just bad. Like PS1 bad.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

In regards to your #3 Spoilers, highlight below:

Really? That's like the basis of the Magneto/Xavier relationship. They're more on-again off-again than Bieber and Gomez. It's been like that for literal decades in the comics and is probably the most interesting aspect of that friendship.

The Joesen One

@Minus with his reaction

SEMI-SPOILER INVISITAG

I understand that that's the basis of the Professor X-Magneto bromance since the early comics days, but that concept in Apocalypse was super rushed and portrayed extremely unrealistically, and ultimately felt extremely off-character in the film. And the end made it extremely unlikely they'll butt heads in future movies, especially Apocalypse being the last entry in the First Class trilogy.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I liked the concept for apocalypse. How he begins the end of a civilization to start a new one. But his characterization wasn't done that well. How he managed to convince the mutants with his bland dialogue, I don't know. He can't really control minds, after all. As predictable as the movie was, I found it pretty enjoyable, personally.

Knt.Slbs

This franchise NEEDS HARD REBOOT. Singer and Kinberg need to leave this franchise. The X-Men franchise though the longest comic book franchise since 2000 but the overall themes and story heavily relies on Magneto, Wolverine, Prof X, Mystique.. 16 years, we still have yet to see the cosmic side of this franchise, the prehistoric land mark that you called The Savage Land, Genosha, Asteroid M, The Shi'ar Empire, The M'kraan Crystal, The Starjammers, Gladiator and the Imperial Guards. We still have yet to see Cyclops leading the team and not the freaking Wolverine leading the show.

X-Men: Apocalypse is the sign of fatigue of the franchise. I'm not surprised how the opening weekend got 80 million for a production budget of 176 million. that sucks.

The Joesen One

Obviously those box office numbers won't automatically translate to equalling the budget. That's good already for the movie, and it'll reach the big numbers in a few weeks.

I don't think they'll be continuing the main X-Men series, since the next planned X-Men films are either the last Wolverine movie, New Mutants, Deadpool 2 or X-Force. Bryan Singer has said he's taking a break from the X-Men movies to try something. They've said that they wanted to explore the cosmic side for some time now.