All That Remains' The Order of Things.

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mr. Awesome, Feb 1, 2015.

Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome Well-Known Member

Their seventh album will come out in stores on February 24, 2015 and it's also their first record produced by Josh Wilbur. He co-wrote the lyrics along with the band's lead singer Philip Labonte together, which is the first time in the ATR catalogue.

"Honestly, the test for me is, like, when me and Josh [got] done, 'cause we wrote the melodies and the lyrics together; none of the vocals were done before I actually sat down with Josh. This is the first time that anyone has ever had any kind of input onto lyrics. But Josh is the only guy that's actually worked with me about lyrics and stuff, and it's been completely wonderful."

He also said that he likes this album more than the last one and Overcome and it's very sing-y.

"I think the record overall is probably leaning 'sing-y.' We've got 12 songs, and there's probably four or five songs that are beginning to end singing. There's some screaming worked into two or three."

The bands drummer stated TOOT sounds still exactly like them.

"It definitely still sounds like us. But the heavy stuff is heavier, and the faster stuff is faster. We all really challenged ourselves on this album. And the radio stuff is more… not more radio, but there's definitely more singing, there's more melody and stuff like that. But the songs are fast; we have a lot of fast burners on this album. And the double-bass stuff for the heavier songs is really challenging for me this time. The patterns are super-hard, some of them."

Their most recent single is hands down one of their most addictive songs by them I've heard in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwlbJMQCKE

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

All That Remains used to be one of my favorite bands. That said, the last good album they put out was Overcome, and shit, only about half of the album was worth listening to more than once.

ATR has become the Nickelback of metalcore. They're extremely formulaic these days, but they're always lying, claiming they're pushing themselves with each album release (by saying the "heavier parts are heavier" or "the faster parts are faster"). It never turns out to be true, because it all ends up sounding exactly the same. I don't know what happened to Phil's vocals, but they're overly-processed these days; there are some songs in which you can tell there's been a very heavy use of autotune. I don't mind the fact they've gotten... er... softer... since The Fall of Ideals came out; I just wish they'd stop acting like the album coming out next sounds like it, because it never does. There might be a few cool guitar parts, or one or two neat breakdowns (which aren't even that technical, which is what I look for in a good breakdown these days, since they're all generic), and he might scream one line per song.

I used to really, really like ATR, mainly because Phil's screams were amazing and they didn't rely on writing for the radio, which it seems to me the drummer slipped up and admitted. I fucking hate when bands write for the radio. If it happens to be that you wrote a song that gets played on the radio a lot, fine; but don't set out to specifically write radio songs—that's disingenuous to the fans.

This new song, "This Probably Won't End Well," is a joke. It literally sounds like they wrote it for the radio, and I hate that. It's a slap in the face. Phil's vocals sound so overproduced that I wouldn't be surprised if he can't sing it properly live (although, to be fair, the last time I saw them live was right after The Fall of Ideals came out, and he didn't sound particularly good then, either, so I'm going to just assume that he never got better). Their solos don't sound like they've put any heart and soul into them anymore; it just sounds like they're playing a solo just to play a solo because it sounds like there should be a solo.

Plus, after Phil's extremely bigoted comments recently, I've got no respect for him. Eh.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Bands like All That Remains are exactly what's wrong with the current state of Metalcore. Metalcore has become the new Nu-Metal.

Mr. Awesome

Another new ATR song has been revealed and Phil LaBonte has no trouble tweaking noses in the music world and beyond.

"I like to push people's buttons, It's fun for me."

This song is mostly about the band's haters, metal elitists, and outsiders who want to dictate how they should sound.

"It's really sarcastic, It's really directed towards the people that we've heard year after year, record after record, saying, 'Oh, put out another record like (2006's) The Fall of Ideals. We've done that, and even if we did it, some purist would say it's tarnished anyway because we've already done it. You can't win, so (the song) is kind of like flicking my nose at them and giving them the bird. I'm the guy who, if you say, 'No, you can't do that,' I like to go ahead and do that -- unless it's like, 'No, you can't jump off a cliff and fly.' I get that, It's just that people get so worked up about such inconsequential things, you know? People getting beheaded in the Middle East, that's a consequential thing. Charlie Hebdo in Paris, that's a consequential thing. Whether or not our record is heavy enough by some kid's standards who has a blog? Who cares? So I'll say something, and the way things go people will get pissed off for a minute and then someone will jingle their keys and everything looks the other way. There's a shiny thing over there, so the attention changes and everyone forgets -- 'til the next time."

Phil also saids "Divide" has "a Van Halen kind of vibe."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/6465467/all-that-remains-tru-kvlt-metal-exclusive

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know this is a tad off topic, but am I the only one who chuckled at the acronym for the album?

TOOT. XD

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

How old are you, 5? :kappa:

Mr. Awesome

You're not alone. ;)

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

5 and a half, duhhhh
    Well that's refreshing