Casualties of Cool - Casualties of Cool

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by SuperDude526, Jan 27, 2015.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Any Devin Townsend fans around? I'm a little late to the game, but I got this album:

Casualties_of_Cool.jpg

And it's unbelievable. It's a concept album featuring some country, blues, and elements of psychedelia. For those of you who know Devin Townsend (ZILTOID!), this is kind of like Ki and it's a real trip. Discuss.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Lol me and Gibs post the guy nonstop on here. Anyways, I thought it was more like Ghost than Ki. It's just got that same chill thing going on.

SuperDude526

Oh, I thought Ki because of the "earthier" sound, personally. I wish there were more people posting about this album. I've really gotten sucked into the story, but I wanna get into actual lyrical analysis to get in-depth into what it was about. This ain't exactly as spoon-fed of a plot as Ziltoid, that's for certain (for reference I haven't heard Z2 yet).

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I'm relatively new to Devin Townsend. Over the winter break, I picked up copies of Z² and the 2 disc version of Casualties Of Cool. Though I find Dark Matters to be just okay, Sky Blue is incredibly fun, and Casualties? Oh man. So fucking good. The highlights for me are The Code (Ché Aimee Dorval has such a sexy voice), Flight, and The Bridge + Pure. I'm gonna have to listen to this again today now.

Oh, and Devy kinda confirmed on Twitter that the Casualties Moon is the Moon Ziltoid and the Dark Princess land on at the end of Dark Matters. :lol: Whether he was kidding or not, idk.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

It's awfully hard to not be new to Devy. I've listened to like 12 of his records (including strapping) and I'm only half way through all his shit! :lol:

Anyways, I honestly haven't looked to far into the lyrics, but judging from what he has said it's kind of spiritual thing. What kind of spiritual? I look into it and get back to ya lol.

SuperDude526

The concept (according to Wikipedia): "[A] traveler that is lured to a sentient planet, which feeds on the traveler's fear. The traveler finds solace in an old radio and later an old phonograph. Eventually, he confronts his own fear, and his "force of will to not submit to the fear" liberates a woman held inside the planet, which also frees his own soul."

But then again...Devin. lol.

Anyway, I made this thread because I just cannot get Daddy and Mountaintop out of my head. And Ether. They could easily have been I-Doser songs with how hooked I am.

Edit: Fuck it, and also Broken. And Flight.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Hejda is my favorite.