What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Magnolia (1999) - 5/5

I love all of PT Anderson's films but this one really struck a chord with me. I can't begin to the think the amount of preparation that went behind the making of this. The direction is kinetic, the characters and the situations they face are multidimensional and dense. Its themes and commentary on family, parenting, love and forgiveness are all meticulously crafted and brilliantly executed, while maintaining a very unique cinematic style.

2. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

TMNT - 6/10

Every scene involving the turtles was an absolute treat. Everything else was absolute garbage. Please replace Megan Fox for the sequel.

3. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

^Can Megan Fox just not exist. What a waste of oxygen she is.

4. Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Right now, I am watching Artie Lange's Beer League. It got mostly really bad reviews, there's nudity ("The Pitching Machine"), lots of profanity, as well as some pretty hilarious slams / comeback. It's pretty offensive--you know, like "that's gay" so most of the humor comes from, "Did he really just say that?

[video=youtube_share;pzbtyIF4SVY]http://youtu.be/pzbtyIF4SVY?list=PLXHl0ak6E6sK69qmNACPlp7U9M5Z8fHoh[/video]

I don't care for her much as an actress (if you can call it that), but you know, I kinda liked her portrayal as April. For once, it wasn't Megan Fox playing the obligatory hot girl that does nothing useful except for the occasionall ass shot that distracts us from noticing plot holes. In Turtles... she actually does things that directly influence (and even facilitate) the plot.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Imagine I say this about Conchita Wurst. The reaction. Not trying to start anything, just saying. I'll drop it right now.

-

American Psycho - 4.5/5

Film managed to completely hold my attention the entire runtime, have me thinking about it and just in fear of what happens next. It's a brilliant example of how fucked up someone can get. Had some fantastic funny scenes, say the buisness card and toilet one, and some that were just plain fucked up. I loved it. I wasn't completely clear on what happened at the end, but thinking about it the following day, I just kept appreciating the movie more and more by understanding things. Then I did some googling, and found just how great this truly is.

The Machinist - 4/5

Just like the above, a very confusing movie throughout, but it had a somewhat simpler ending that kinda puts the end to the storyline rather than leaving it open to interpretation. I just loved the post it notes, there were so many possible answers, the right one didn't occur to me all until only one letter was remaining. What I liked about this movie is that it didn't try to force any humor, it just kept the dark theme throughout. What I would have appreciated is if it wasn't filmed with that filter that makes everyone and everything look so pale.

6. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

But Conchita Wurst actually has talent... And isn't an anti Semite. That's a plus.

7. Reflectionist

^ None of those things is 'acting' so I don't really know why it's relevant. I can like a character if it's written well, etc, but that has absolutely fuckall to do with their personal lives. Mel Gibson's an anti-semite, but Lethal Weapon is a great movie. Should actors be wearing their closet skeletons like coats? No--fuck no.-

Oh! And I just started watching In Time:

[video=youtube;fdadZ_KrZVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdadZ_KrZVw[/video]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  8. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

All I'm going to say is that I'm not watching anything with Megan Fox or Mel Gibson in it. They're both terrible people and don't deserve my attention let alone my money.

9. Reflectionist

...there's money involved with movies?

;)

10. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Regarding Mel... Who cares about his personal opinions. If his movies are great does it really matter in the long run? For example apocalypto is a fantastic movie, and isn't any less brilliant because of it.

11. Filip

I'm not going to listen to Slipknot because they wrote The Heretic Anthem and I go to church every sunday.

The fact it's a brilliant song and album doesn't matter.

/sarcasm

12. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

/argument

The Hangover: Part III (second watch) - 3 out of 5

I actually enjoyed the straying away from the rinse-and-repeat of Part II, because the film overall felt more cinematic rather than a 90-minute run of 3 Family Guy episodes. It's really Alan-centric, and it pays off to have the last guy in the Wolfpack get his adult happy ending.

13. Filip

Whoa, wait, did I win? Wow. So, what now? Do I get a medal? Is there a parade?

I'm sorry, I just don't know what it's like to win an internet argument.

14. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

From here, looks like you won lol.

It's really more of an internal trophy :lol:

15. Filip

Sucks. Why do I even bother?

16. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

[​IMG]

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – I would be lying if I said this wasn't an epic, timeless, extraordinary piece of art, but I would also be lying if I said it wasn't very demanding, odd, and time and energy consuming. 8/10

17. Filip

The thing with A Space Odyssey for me was, it just dragged at some parts where it shouldn't have. Clearly seen in the very beginning. In that way, I enjoyed The Year We Make Contact more. The last scene in this movie is nothing short of epic, and the FXs were way ahead of that time. An admirable movie in my opinion.

18. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

The Expendables 3 : 8.5/10
    At first. I normally care about story and how the people evolve into movies, but i saw the first Expendables and know what will come to me in this one.
    So i just turned down my head and let the fun begin. Just a action firework with some good dialogs and some funny scenes. The story is a bit weak to be honest, but thats just a little problem here in my opinion. Pure entertainment.

19. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - 5/5

This movie left me wanting 10 more movies with Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. as the leads. They had such good chemistry. A lot of it came down to the insanely clever and witty script by Shane Black. The way he melded neo-noir and dark comedy in this film was absolutely perfect. I kept cracking up throughout most of the film but when it got dark it really got dark. And Michelle Monaghan... whew, what a peach!

[​IMG]

Boyhood (2014) - 5/5

For me this film rides a line between fiction and non-fiction. The luxury of shooting a film over the course of 12 years blurs the line between the actors, the characters and the story/themes of the film itself. It didn't need any overdramatic moments or revelations to get its points across. These moments happen throughout the film just the way they would happen in actual life. That's what makes this movie so incredibly powerful, raw and relatable. If it weren't for the 12 year shooting gimmick (a gimmick that completely works for the film), it wouldn't have been possible.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  20. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

[​IMG]

Her (2013) – I'm a bit on the fence with this film... it started off great and then headed into a direction that made me uncomfortable, but I feel like in certain scenes I was supposed to feel that way. Amy Adams is so loveable, but all other actors did a great job too, and I thought the vision of future technology was brilliant. All in all, I do think this is a great film, my biggest gripe with it being that it ended too abruptly ( the relationship ends quite suddenly and Samantha's gone in a second). Really inciteful and intriguing though. 7/10

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.