What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier - 8/10

Now THIS is more like it. Definitely the Captain America film I was imagining when phase 1 was merely a pipe dream. This one is up there with Iron Man 1, and kicks 'The Avengers' in the face (not a fan of Joss Whedon's directorial style).

That post-credits sequence was badass.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Joss Whedon directed the first post-credits scene actually. :lol:

3. Snail

Really?! Then hell, do please continue the great work Whedon in Age Of Ultron, and stay the hell away from that TV-esque presentation in The Avengers 1. It fell completely flat for me.

4. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Thor: The Dark World - 4/5

5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Gravity - 9/10

This movie deserves all the praise it got, amazing experience! I liked the long shots and the silence throughout the movie, which they used to their advantage (which, in turn, reminded me of Alien). I love it when moviemakers/gamedevelopers utilise simplicity like this. The story is also ather "simple" but it's multi-layered with tons of metaphors (the foetal position of Ryan when she enters the space station and takes off her gear) and universal (finding pleasure in life).

I watched the making-of afterwards and it made me appreciate the movie even more. Had no idea that so much was done with CGI. In most movies you can tell when something's CGI but this really felt so realistic. Truly amazing. The way they did the lighting was also very impressive. So yeah: loved it!

6. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Enemy (2014) - What the fuck was that?!

7. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I really want to see this movie. No rating? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

8. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

FUCK ME I'm jealous of you right now.

Edit: Oh shiiiiit it's online. I really wish I could have seen it in theaters but nowhere close to me got it.

9. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

It means that you should not see it. One of those "weird for the sake of weird" movies. It's kinda mysterious and creepy the whole time, and you think that everything will be explained at the end. But then: nothing. plus, the lost shot of the movie gets the biggest "WHAT THE FUCK" (but not in a good way). 4/10

EDIT: after thinking about it the whole day, I hate a bit less... but it's still weird.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Gattaca 8.5/10- I had seen this as a kid and I guess I didnt realize how good it was. Its the kind of movie you can find multiple meanings in. Watch it. Now.

11. Snail

[video=youtube;PZetLV7i6Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZetLV7i6Fc[/video]​

Saving General Yang - 7/10

Inspired by true events depicted in the legendary tale of the generals of the Yang family. This movie knows exactly what it is, and it isn't here to win over an audience expecting a grandiose portrayal of the seven Yang brothers' exploits leading to bringing home prestigious film awards. Akin to Zack Snyder's '300', Saving General Yang hones in on the action and flair, but not much else. Ultimately, the flick had potential to be a classic, but the unambitious screenplay definitely bogs down the experience a tad. Nevertheless, director Ronny Yu displays enough to honor the essence behind the tale of the seven generals.

Think '300' without the art direction, or 'LOTR:The Two Towers' minus everything else except the battle at Helm's Deep and you've got Saving General Yang

Check it out on Netflix if you want a quick-fix on a war epic.

12. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Little Miss Sunshine (rewatch) 9/10: I'll never understand how people get comedy out of this movie. Its brilliant, it has funny moments but I found it kind of dark. I guess its just what you kind of take away from it. Anyway, its brilliant and one of the most original movies I've seen. Steve Carrell's serious work is underrated as well.

13. Gibs

The Raid 2 - 9/10

HO-LY SHIT. This movie was INSANE. I thought the first one was great, but The Raid 2 tops The Raid: Redemption in every way. Believe it or not, the action scenes are even MORE crazy. Also, the increased focus on story, and the characters, was a nice surprise. This movie is a definite recommendation, and should be seen in theaters. This movie was brutal as hell.

Whoever makes these movies, and choreographs them, should be hired immediately to make a Mortal Kombat remake. They would do such justice towards the franchise.

14. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

How was the soundtrack?

15. Gibs

I was actually really interested in the score going in (since Shinoda didn't do it), but I can't say I really have an opinion on it, for the score was rarely, if ever used. The only piece of music I recall being used was at the very end, and that was just a simple piano and some electronics. Either that, or it was just completely forgettable, and I don't remember it for that reason.

16. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Hmm, I'll still have to check it out. Shinoda was the only reason I watched the first one, but the movie ended up being really good.

17. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Gareth Edwards writes, directs, and choreographs :)

18. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Gareth Evans* :)

Edwards is the Godzilla guy.

19. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

You know, I thought one thing and wrote another - I'm sure that had nothing to do with the trailer for the latter being opened up in another tab :lol:

----------

The Raid 2: Berandal - 4 out of 5

The Raid 2 adds onto everything that made The Raid great (aside from the Mike Shinoda-less forgettable score): great characters, insane fights, and making a simple story work. In relation to the final factor, The Raid 2 gets immense story details that Gareth Evans somehow manages to interlace and hold together as one set piece, despite several clearly individual gears grinding simultaneously.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  20. Snail

[​IMG]

The Raid 2: Berandal - 8/10

The Raid 2 harbors a cast of genuinely intriguing characters. Unfortunately, a greater depth in character development is replaced in favor of unnecessarily lengthy extended scenes. With a runtime of 2hrs 38 mins, there is no excuse. Essentially, this is a watered down version of Infernal Affairs/the American-remake The Departed, serving as a backdrop to a slew of fist-to-fist insane action. It really is a shame that Mike Shinoda did not have a hand with the score composition this time around; Berandal was definitely missing that extra flavor to shift everything beyond overdrive. Nonetheless, Berandal is an incredibly ambitious flick featuring some of the most creative, daring, and brutal action choreography in a very long time. Gareth Evans sets the bar just a tad bit higher without being coy.

I've read reviews touting this as the 'Godfather' or 'The Dark Knight' in the genre of martial-arts crime epics. Personally, I'd have to disagree. In action choreography alone, yes this is balls to the walls. However, as the full package, The Raid 2 misses the mark slightly. It is definitely up there, but I'd be more inclined to present films like Sha Po Lang, or The Man From Nowhere as stronger contenders. Even then, the aforementioned flicks are often either too modest with the action or runtime.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.