What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

End of Watch (2012) - 4/5 - Gritty, raw and action packed!

2. Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

Batman: Under The Red Hood - 8/10

Amazing. Dont let the fact that its animated fool you. This was the most well told, action packed, emotional Batman story ive ever seen(including the Dark Knight movie series).

3. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

The Raid 8/10- Awesome fight scenes, bad ass score, good story.

4. Agent

Magic Mike (2012) - 2.5/5 - Enjoyed bits and pieces but overall nothing special. And I'm really starting to hate Soderbergh's digital visuals/cinematography.

5. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

Hot Fuzz for the umpteenth time. Great camerawork, really good parody of cop films, and to top it all of its fucking hilarious. 10/10 straight for me, only beaten by Shaun Of The Dead in terms of parody comedies.

6. Agent

Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present (2012) (Documentary) - 4/5 - Great documentary on Marina Abramovic and performance art. Gave me a better insight on this controversial form of art.

7. Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Seven Psychopaths: 8/10 I loved "In Bruges" and I loved this one too.

8. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Seven Psychopaths - 7/10. Weird story with good acting, but it doesn't make a lot of sense and is lackluster given the amount of talent on the screen.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 - 5/10. Really just complete nonsense. I haven't read Frank Miller's graphic novel, but these movies were bad.

9. Agent

^ travz: What did you expect from the TDKR films?

-

Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - 4/5 - Real good film. And for once Bradley Cooper is actually acting

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  10. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

Well. Just watched The Watch. Some of it was funny, but it tried to hard to be rude. Not clever and not really good, but some of it is hilarious, I must admit. Also the acting was quite good and the cast was great. Feel kind of mixed on this one but I think i'll give it a 7/10.

11. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Gangster Squad - 4/5

On the one hand, there's no real great story here. Not a lot of long lasting emotional connections. On the other hand, it's just fun. It looks great, Sean Penn was awesome. I enjoyed it well enough, despite the writing.

12. travz21

For characters to stay in character. And it moves way too fast. There's no buildup to the payoffs. They just happen and there's not much impact behind them. There's also a million face palm moments that make you ask "why?" or "really?"

13. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Precisely. Every film has its own set of inconsistencies and plot holes, but when a casual viewer like myself can list off a few glaring errors or 'wtf' moments, there is definitely something wrong.

Just a few flaws off the top of my head.

- Painting a Bat logo on the bridge with gasoline while the city is in turmoil with the clock ticking? Really?
    - Talia Al Ghul's convoluted and unnecessary plot of revenge
    - Within the confines of three months, Bruce Wayne's knee of which had been out of commission for a few years was miraculously healed?
    - Fixing a broken back with a really hard punch and recovering fully within three months?
    - Bruce Wayne pronounced dead? Yet he's frolicking about in vacation spots?

To me, 'The Dark Knight Rises' is a film of which was clearly built around a few ideas of which really hit the mark, but ultimately the team failed to make the 'filler' connect the dots in a consistent manner, or to stand out as an enthralling experience. It is a disjointed picture.

14. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Isn't he talking about The Dark Knight Returns....

Anyway...

Black Swan [3/5] - Found myself watching this out of the blue but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Almost two hours of Natalie Portman going crazy, which I don't have a problem with. I loved how the plot of Swan Lake was a mirror of what was happening to Nina. The acting was great, overall a good film.

Lawless [3/5] - Bane. I could leave it at that but I probably shouldn't. Lawless was great. It was pretty tense waiting for the next thing to happen. The plot was pretty straight forward but it was the acting that made it great. Shia LaBeouf was surprisingly good, and Tom Hardy, well I don't have to say really.

15. Agent

Well it's a direct to video ANIMATED film. Maybe you are seeing it as a movie which it really isn't. :/

16. travz21

Just because it's animated doesn't mean it should be dumb. The material was dark and it had a lot of blood and violence and seemed to take itself seriously, so all the cartoony moments were off-putting.

Batman: Under The Red Hood - 7/10. Good stuff.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  17. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective [3/5] - Absolutely hilarious and fun to watch. Due to the hilarity of the film I'm easily able to bypass anything wrong with the plot or anything else for that matter. Jim Carrey goes nuts as Ace Ventura, making the film what it is.

18. Agent

Yeah I know. It was a direct adaptation of the comic series though and that is held at a pretty high acclaim. I see what you're saying though... I felt similarly about Batman: Year One. After that I just don't expect a lot from these animated films.

19. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Lincoln - 5/5. Yeahhhh. Spielberg is at his best here. With John Williams. And Daniel Day-Lewis is gonna win the Oscar (already won the Golden Globe), no contest.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - 4/5. Great, different take on Hurricane Katrina, from the point of view of a child living in the bayou.

20. Agent

Seven Psychopaths (2012) - 4/5 - Great little dark comedy. Sam Rockwell was awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.