What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Green Lantern - 8/10

I don't care what the critics say. As a comic book nerd and a seeker of entertaining movies, regardless of content or intricacy (I mean, THIS in my opinion is more entertaining than the last two Matrix movies), I liked it a lot. I do wish some of the minor characters were expanded, as a few of them are pretty bad-ass in their own right. And there were random references to other people or stories in the DC Universe. I left satisfied.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

X-Men First Class - 8/10.

Great flick. Also looking forward to Green Lantern ^^

3. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Saw Green Lantern Yesterday. And as an avid fan of the comics it met my expectations. Great cast, lush and imaginative SFX, entertained me from the start till finished and did the job well. I was quite shocked as I got back to see so much negative feedback on it already? What was wrong with it? It doesn't deserve the flak its gotten. Was everyone expecting the Dark Knight or what? Thats not the kind of comic book movie it is and it doesn't need to be either. I whole heartily recommend everyone seeing GL.

4. tROCKS24

tROCKS24 Banned

the police academy, a movie from the 70s or 80s was really funny. i thought it was strange at first but after watching the whole movie, man it was really funny** i have a goofie sense of style--> personality. i am quite serious at times needed, but this movie makes you want to see it again and again and let your goofieness never want to ware out for the time being :lol: i just have to watch it again online! this was on tv. recently too.

5. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Insidious (2011) - 3.5/5
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. It starts off as a formulaic haunted house type film but gradually reveals itself to be something more than that. While it does utlize tricks we've seen horror films a million times before, it has enough originality to make itself stand out. It has a good mixture of suspense and jump scares which really worked for me... especially towards the end when shit hits the fan. Overall a good watch.

6. iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Green Lantern - 4/10

I didn't read any reviews and didn't know anything about this character beforehand. That said, pretty terrible cheesy movie, not the worst I've seen but damn what a yawn fest.

7. Minus

The fact that you had absolutely no past history or knowledge of the Green Lantern Corps is probably a huge indicator of how you'll like the movie.

For example, when Kilowog showed up and called Hal a poozer, my whole theatre stood up and cheered.

In any case, can't wait for the Sinestro Corps war!

8. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This.

9. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Star Trek isn't really hard sci-fi either, neither are the Stargate tv shows from what I know. I'm just splitting hairs though haha so I digress. Stargate is not that good a film, I agree.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  10. Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Green Lantern

3/5

Extremely cheesy but some good graphics. Seen it in 3D. :D

11. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Unknown - 1.5/5

Wannabe Bourne minus all the answers revealed along the way and the ability to still remember how to kick ass - remembering during the last, literally 5 minutes of the movie doesn't count.

12. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Green Lantern: 5/10

I watched it with my friend who is just an absolute Green Lantern fan. To be honest, the plot was really jumpy and not too great. But the CGI and several scenes had excellent action and decent stories. DC's just fallen behind Marvel and needs to improve for any future films like a Green Lantern 2. I have high hopes for the next one but my rating for this stands at 5/10.

P.S. My friend, however, did absolutely love the movie.

13. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Green Lantern. Was just ok. Didn't expect much going in, so I enjoyed it ok.

14. iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

This is why this movie is terrible, it relied too much on you on already knowing about the characters. The movie certainly didn't develop them enough for me to give a shit about them. I mean WTF this is the origin story.

15. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Carolina - 9/10

I admitted I cried at the ending. It was good in a sense that it appealed to me as a woman and the fact that Julia Stiles was in it, and yes it was a chick flick and I have to admit I enjoyed it.

I so wished I could've seen this in 3D. I've always loved the graphics involved in this movie.

Pirates 3D (the new one) - 5/10

I forgot what the sequel was called to it, but it was the new Pirates of the Caribbean film with Penelope Cruz in it. I'm sorry but this was just an excuse for Johnny Depp to continue on as the infamous CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. Nice it was in 3D.

16. Cinemamonster

Cinemamonster Are you watching closely?

Source Code - 7/10.
    Pretty intertaining movie, with flavor of Quantum Leap or Deja Vu.

17. Minus

To make a proper Green Lantern origins movie would require a saga the length of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The issue is that every superhero movie lately has been about a single person with a pretty simple origin.

Batman: Parents get shot, rich billionaire commits self to fighting crime.
    Superman: Alien baby lands in farmland. Hilarity ensues.
    Thor: He's a God. Um, he's a God.
    Hulk: Radiation, man gets angry, shit hits fan.
    Iron Man: Rich billionaire commits self to fighting crime.
    Captain America: Man gets injected with supersoldier serum, kills Nazis.

The Green Lantern Corps history is so rich and varied that to explain it all would take forever. They could commit a whole movie to the history of Kilowog. Or Sinestro. Or any of the thousands of Green Lantern soldiers.

For the limits and constraints in storytelling DC had, they did an admirable job. And I mean, Hal Jordan isn't exactly a 'mainstream' superhero. This movie directly caters to comic book fans, and in that aspect, it wins spectacularly.

Besides, this movie was really just a huge set-up for Sinestro to get his yellow power ring. That's when the fun truly begins.

18. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I think if you're a fan, or even knew a decent amount of Green Lantern history from the comics and such, you're not as disappointed watching the movie because you know all the little factoids. If you walked in to watch this movie without any prior knowledge of Green Lantern, you were walking in to just watch a movie, at which point, yes, the jumpy plot failed. I think fans love it because it stays true to the original comics and stories, but as a movie itself, all the cool ideas and effects could have been executed better.

Hall Pass - 2.5/5

There are actually some pretty good laughs in it, but there's not really a story that moves forward, probably because it takes too long to actually get some action. Literally.

19. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Kung Fu Panda 2 - 7/10

20. ShinodaTwin

ShinodaTwin Linkinland is the new Disneyland

Super 8 -8/10
    I thought it was pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.