What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory (original): 10/10

Even though I've seen this movie probably over a million times in my lifetime, I got it tonight as a birthday present for my mom as it is one of her all time favorite films (alongside The Wizard of Oz which was another choice that I decided not to get).

Nothing beats the original version of this movie. The amazing sets, the great performance by Gene Wilder and endearing message throughout the entire film to me just makes it a timeless and everlasting classic. I feel all of this was lost when they remade the film with Johnny Depp. Depp is a great actor and will always be one of my favorites, but making such a classic movie "dark" was a bad mistake and I feel they will do the same when Todd McFarlane finishes remaking the Wizard of Oz in 2009/2010.

Hmm. Great movie though and it was awesome to see how it looked digitally remastered. It was almost as if I was viewing a new film.

2. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (9.5/10)

At first I didn't want to see this movie when I heard about it. I wanted to kill time at the mall today so I decided to see it since nothing else that was playing seemed remotely interesting. I am so glad I made that decision, lol. This is probably the 2nd best movie I've seen for movies that came out in 2007. The humor and the pit falls of fame were all there and I loved every bit of it, except for the small penis thing. I didn't really need to see that, lol! Other than that, this movie was golden.

3. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Resident Evil: Extinction 7/10

Not much to say about it. Twas' a decent time-killer that's all.

4. Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

One Hour Photo (2002)
    Lenny (1974)

5. Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Shaun Of The Dead (for the 30th Time) 10/10

what can i say Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are awesome

6. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

As long as I'm not misremembering the original book, I'm more than sure the original book was almost nothing like the original film. That's why Tim Burton wanted to remake the movie, because he made it much more accurate to the book, as far as I can recall.

7. Andrea

You're correct. :)

8. Derek

But a little known fact is that Ronald Dahl actually wrote the script to the original film, and thus okay'd it to be a musical. The other scriptwriters involved with the 1970's version just helped 'beef up' the original script, adding a villain (slugworth) and a different ending as well as a few musical numbers...all okay'd by Ronald Dahl.

So while Tim Burton's retelling is exactly how the book was done, the original movie actually had Ronald Dahl on the set as a screenwriter and adviser.

9. User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Live Free Or Die Hard

Had some pretty awesome action moments in it as well as some good humor. I loved it.

10. Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

A Scanner Darkly - 2/10

I had high expectations for this, seeing as a lot of people liked it and even my film studies teacher raved about it, but it was awful in my opinion. The synopsis makes it sound as though the film should be good, and I recon it had the potential to be, but in practice, it made no real sense, and I didn't really care in the end. Crap

11. Derek

Wow. According to you that movie wasn't just crap...it ate the crap and shit the crap back out. Damn. :lol:

12. Omar

Dogma (1999)

13. Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Actually I agree with her. It was crap. :lol:

14. User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

It's a wierd movie and I have troubles understanding it at times, too. I don't blame you.

15. Andrea

Interview With The Vampire (10/10)

I have always wanted to see this movie but never have until now. I absolutely loved it. ^_^

16. Omar

In the Bedroom (2001)

17. Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Great movie.

-------------

The Departed

4/10

Director: Martin Scorsese

A major disappointment. From the hype to the screen it failed to deliver the masterpiece it seemed to be. The overall movie was a very complex one to understand with many twists and turns throughout to have you twisted and turned for years. The plot was a good concept but failed to keep the attention of the audience and lacked substance. Poor performance from Damon especially, he should stick to being Jason instead.
    Despite all of the downs throughout the movie, it was still mildly entertaining but not a movie i would willingly watch again.

18. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The films of which The Departed was derived from was much better.

19. Omar

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

20. Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

Sweeney Todd 9.5/10

The only thing that even made it off was maybe the fact that I feel that Bonham Carter wasn't given enough voice lessons, as Depp's voice overpowered any harmony they did in any song. Otherwise, the only Tim Burton movie I've ever walked out at the end thinking "holy shit, that was dark."

Usually Tim Burton's movies are dark, but not morbid. Just macabre and out of the ordinary in regards to movie styling. This movie actually made everyone in the theatre quiet for about a minute or so.

The music was beautiful (it's a Sondheim musical, so of course it is), and Johnny Depp has a wonderful voice. Helena Bonham Carter made me cry inside, she was just so desperate.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

> The scene where Sweeney realizes he murdered his wife Lucy is just so heartbreaking, and then whenever Toby killed him...the scene of them bleeding together in the basement just made me so sad. Johanna never really got to know either of her parents, and they both died that very night. God. Heartbreaking. <

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.