Should LP go on a hiatus?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Dec 18, 2014.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

It feels like the band is very worn out. Especially Chester his voice seems tired.
    We don't know the future of LP7 or what direction will LP go. Mike should go
    work on another FM album and expand his rapping skills. And let the band re group like they did Between
    Meteora and M2M. What do you guys think, should they go on hiatus or keep
    going?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

If they want? The band did indeed make their own conscientious decision to release albums in (more-or-less) 18-month intervals, and up to this point they've been confident in their ability to continually keep writing music and releasing records. It is typical for bands to become exhausted - the band has been touring virtually non-stop since The Hunting Party was released. The band will likely tour through the majority of 2015 and then take a break after that before returning to work on LP7. If they feel they can keep going, why shouldn't they?

My personal opinion is not for them to take a hiatus, but simply to take a bit more time between albums. I really appreciated an album like A Thousand Suns, in part because I waited three years for it. I think there's something special about waiting a bit longer for a higher-quality album. It might help them in terms of resting as well, if that's what you're concerned about. In terms of side-projects, they did release the Mall ​soundtrack which is definitely a nice break from their other work. I'm not really concerned about hearing another Fort Minor or Dead By Sunrise album unless they plan on being particularly experimental. That's just me, though.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I still think that it would do us and them some good if the LP album/world tour cycle was put on hold for a little bit. After "The Hunting Party", I'm personally keen to hear music from side-projects and such, just for the change of pace. I feel like that could help their songwriting, as side-projects have in the past. :)

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Waiting that long for an album creates very high standards, though. What if it doesn't live up?

MattLP

Lol I waited 6 years for LP to make a heavy song again. THP did live up to it.
    LP did say that THP was going to heavy and it was, but the singles chosen for the album were just not good.
    Thats why THP feels watered down just so it can be mainstream.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

They promised to keep releasing records every 18 months and if they go on hiatus, That would be much better since I missed their sessions like MTM & ATS because those albums were special and the albums treated very well in terms of promotions, songs played LIVE unlike LIVING THINGS & The Hunting Party failed to do. I want them to write an album again like MTM & ATS. LT & THP were more likely "collection of songs" . Mike even mentioned it on Meeting of A Thousand Suns.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

They should just take a long break from touring and enjoy life. Making a record every 18 months would be a piece of cake with all that free time, and they'd probably have enough energy to write unique music.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I fear a hiatus would do more harm than good for someone like Chester. For all we know he could finally pass his prime and that aggressive edge in his voice could completely lose its luster during an extended break.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

As long as Linkin Park is a major label artist, they will be touring on and off for at least a year after the release of an album.

Also, people exaggerate when they say that the band is worn out from touring. There are bands that tour continuously for months and months, while LP seems to have their longest tours a month long (Honda Civic Tour, Europe Spring 2014, Carnivores, Europe Fall 2014). And of course Chester's voice gets weaker the closer the tour is to the end. This last European tour was hectic, just because the band wanted to have a solid number of shows while spending as little time as possible on the road. And that's understandable. They aren't 23 anymore, they're 37 with a family to take care of, and enjoy.

But to answer the question - no, I don't think the band should take a hiatus. I feel like the band is at the peak of their creativity right now, with 2014 bringing two new amazing releases - The Hunting Party and the Mall OST. I think THP comes really close to ATS as my favorite album by the band, and I'm very, very excited to see what the future brings.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

But they made it between Meteora & Minutes To Midnight and it turns out to be a fresh take, revive of the band.. It seems the band the band is pretty worn out right now especially Chester, if they make this as a routine by extensive touring and a mindset of 18 months album release is so tiresome. That's why, I like those MTM & ATS era because they took a lot of time making an album and the band needs that. I understand that they want to release more albums but most of the songs after ATS was not even par on the caliber of that album in terms of quality. LT had crappy mixing and also THP, if LT & THP were on the same state as MTM & ATS then those albums probably better ,..

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I wouldn't care if they toured less, but obviously they are eager to tour. If they are actually worn out they'll give themselves a break. And even if Chester's voice got 10X worse, we're all gonna love being there live anyways. When you're at the show, you don't listen to the notes and think "man, that note was kinda flat", you just go crazy and enjoy it. Besides, the day will come when they really are too worn out to tour, and we'll miss it like crazy. But, hopefully, we'll get even more, faster, music releases.

Personally, I'd prefer much less touring and more music writing. I can't stand how we keep getting songs like Primo, Last Line, Three Band Terror, etc. as demos or movie soundtracks. I feel like if they toured less, we could have had LT, THP, and a whole other album of artistic soft stuff, even more polished and finished, an ATS part two maybe by next year. Not to mention the albums would probably be different, and imo, better, as they aren't made with the intent to play live.

MattLP

Ats part 2 will never happen, even Chester said it, ppl need to move on from it, that ship has sailed accept it
    just like they will never make another HT.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Hiatus? I don't know. Between Meteora and MtM, the band seemed really frustrated with the label and stuff like that. I think Meteora and Reanimation were quite stressful for the band(They said they didn't want to make another reanimation).They seem happy now. Chester and Brad seem to be having much trouble live(Brad has that tape thing on his hands on a lot of show pictures since 5 months I think). They're playing a lot of shows, they're shifting to self-management etc. I don't think there would be a hiatus now.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Reanimation" was stressful for Shinoda, and he's said as much. :)

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

And he seems so happy now too, seems very gleeful. Besides, he made fort minor because he couldn't do that in LP. The band then, changed themselves. And besides, you can't say LP is holding him back because then, LP is holding everyone else in the band back too. Chester is pretty restricted and has more freedom in his other bands, Hahn doesn't shine much on the recent albums. It's also holding back Phoenix in the sense, we know he can do a lot more.

Or maybe instead of "holding back" themselves for the songs, they could just make it more interesting. It's been six albums and I don't think they're a bunch of ego-maniacs. That's all I want from LP7. It's kinda like when LT demos were so interesting and they changed it and removed what made them interesting. Like Until it breaks, I don't think it is as good as the three demos separately.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

WOOOOW,Filip...You say something nice about THP?IMPOSSIBLE

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I'm all over the place with this, honestly.

They're in their late 30s now with families, I'm sure they're going to want to get out as much music as possible at this point. I don't know how long they're going to be making music for, maybe forever, who knows. Not sure if Chester's still going to be playing "Numb" at 65.

On the other side, I would like to see them give LP a break just to see them focus on other projects. Honestly, I'm a little bit exhausted with LP after THP, I'd prefer to hear Mike put out a solo album instead.

The band is as lively as they've ever been, no doubt they're already working on another album as we speak. I feel like they're not going to stop the two year cycle anytime soon anyways. The band can do whatever the hell they want and they'll do what they feel is best, I'm not going to say what they should and shouldn't do. If they want to put out albums every two years or go on a hiatus then that's completely up to them. Personally, I don't see them stopping right now.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Wait, what?

The Hunting Party is by far my favorite album of the year, and it's exactly what I wanted the band to do. And I've been saying this for a long time. I don't know how you got the impression that I don't like it.

I hate FM and ALITS though. :) Just end the album with that magnificent instrumental.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I think LP can do better work if they have a break. Not necessarily a hiatus...I think they should also give time for STP and producing. They can always write songs in between, anyway.

MattLP

The band had to make THP to save their career's, with LT being a flop, and too much of the over powering
    electronic music, they had to make a rock album.