Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection of Frieza [2015]

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Broman, Nov 18, 2014.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Due 3 years after the Japanese release of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, the sequel which was previously unnamed has finally been revealed along with details about the film. Just months back, we received a small teaser in which Shenron is seen granting a wish to bring someone back from the dead.

[video=youtube;4y4StkRdYdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4StkRdYdw[/video]

The new movie, now officially confirmed to be titled Resurrection of Frieza, takes place after the events of its predecessor. After arriving on Earth, two remnants of Frieza's army, Sorbet and Tagoma, wish their former master back to life to exact revenge on the Saiyans.

The film will once again feature the previous antagonists Beerus and Whis, along with several elements from the film including the 2D/3D animations. Throughout recent interviews, Toriyama has been quite open about his excitement for the new film and how it will contain a plethora of action sequences compared to Battle of Gods (which is a twist for the manga artist considering he has no interest in the fight scenes).

The movie is due for an April 2015 release date in Japan. Similarly with Battle of Gods, The US audience can expect about a 1-2 year gap before FUNimation acquires the rights to dub the film in English.

Full article: / http://www.geekoutpost.com/frieza-confirmed-for-dragon-ball-z-movie

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Further details imply that the film may have a runtime of two hours via kanzenshuu.com

[​IMG]

Not holding my breath, but here's to hoping Toriyama and Toei presents us with a flick that isn't afraid to dive back into the grittier aesthetic and tone the series once harbored.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I wish they'd use this time and money on rewriting the main storyline after the Cell saga, focusing on Gohan as the main character like it was originally intended. All the DBZ movies are pretty bad.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

But Freiza is weak as hell now... Kid goku can beat him after everything the guy went through.... Krillin probably could too.

So, they gonna wish him to be stronger than ever before as well? Otherwise, WHY? Bring back Cell or the Androids. :x

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Cell would be cool :lol:

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Frieza? Well, this was really unexpected. I'm actually interested to see how they will handle his character now, and how they will make him a relevant villain (powerwise) again.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Frieza has more reason than anyone to take revenge, I think. Also, Toriyama's intention was always to end with Frieza, if I recall correctly. So maybe this is why he's focusing on him, to give that idea another try. Cell, to me, doesn't make much sense to bring back anyways.

I really like the idea of getting Frieza back. Obviously, they have a plan in mind to get him stronger, question is whether or not it will be anything remotely interesting. And if I recall correctly, they were talking about focusing on Vegeta with the next movie. Knowing how much Vegeta has changed since Frieza was alive, this also could be an interesting plotpoint.

So yeah, they have me intrigued.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

This.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

More focus on Vegeta could be interesting.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I was hyped before when it was announced awhile back, but now Frieza's back and there's going to be a ton of action scenes?

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

aThIqKW.jpg

But, wait......Frieza's going to have to get a major power up to not be a fly compared to the other DBZ fighters at this point in time. Judging by the picture he has some sort of orange/red aura, it'll be interesting to see how this'll pan out. Beerus and Whis are back too, I wonder what kind of role they'll have, maybe they'll fight alongside Goku. If it's really 2 hours long I'll piss my pants, that'd be amazing.

Oh man, waiting until the movie comes out with subtitles is going to be a hard wait :(

If I'm not mistaking, Frieza is the most popular DBZ villain in Japan and a personal favorite of Toriyama. I don't think the Buu saga was very well received in Japan, and bringing back Cell wouldn't make any sense. Frieza was feared by the entire galaxy, ruled tons of planets, and had millions under his control, according to the description two remnants of his army revive him. DBZ characters always get huge buffs anyways, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if Frieza came back ridiculously powerful. He could have a new form, or maybe he'll just be more powerful than ever for the sake of being more powerful than ever for no reason. I think if any villain has the right to come back it's Frieza.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This just a general DBZ question: Can Goku use his god powers anymore?

Nicholas

While he lost the form, he retained the powers of a Super Saiyan God. At least, from my understanding. It's been awhile since I watched the movie.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Actually no. There are multiple intended endings Toriyama had thought of. The first being early during the Dragonball days where he had planned on finishing the story after the gang found the Dragonballs. The biggest reason he continued was because Shonen Jump's editors continuously pushed him to keep going due to high popularity.

Snail

The plotline behind this flick is derived from a direction Akira Toriyama originally wanted to go with after the Cell or Buu arc if I'm not mistaken. Skim and browse through www.kanzenshuu.com to find out more (I can't be bothered to find the exact source :p)

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Got my info from the same site. It quotes Toriyama talking about ending dragonball at different points throughout the entire story.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Stoked when I heard about this yesterday! Excited to have back Beerus and Whis, I liked them in the previous movie so that's a plus. Just a shame they can't get a worldwide release for these things as I perfer the FUNimation cast since I grew up on that. The song that inspired the movie is pretty metal....check it out here (ignore the weird scenes..haha):
    [video=youtube;7EM2fRGHuuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EM2fRGHuuc[/video]
    Got me hyped.

Snail

There should be a description of his intent with the story after the Buu arc in the news section and how the new film will derive from those ideas. Then again, Toriyama has been known to be a forgetful, whimsical, and overtly relaxed fella, so his statements may very well equate to nothing more than to simply justify the events that will unfold.

Nicholas

Yeah, he forgot a number of things including the differences between Super Saiyan 2 & 3. Although granted, before BoG it was like 17 years before he last worked on the series so it's easy to forget things I guess. I just hope he brushed up on some of his series history.

[video=youtube;e3vN91ntVOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3vN91ntVOE[/video]

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;CSay38-S4PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSay38-S4PE[/video]

Interesting.

Nicholas

I'm going to be pissed if it's Goku to be the one that kills him. Vegeta really should be the one to kill him, Vegeta needs his time to shine.