Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection of Frieza [2015]

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Broman, Nov 18, 2014.

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

As much as a fan as I am of Goku and Gohan I'd love to see Vegeta kick some ass. Got close In 'Gods.' I feel like he needs another temper tantrum.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

[youtube]u0bArxJtSnM[/youtube]

If the previous trailers didn't leave me excited, this one most certainly did.

A lot of fans are complaining about Freeza's transformation being a simple recoloring of his original final form, looking akin to Cooler (who, oddly enough, happens to be Freeza's brother – gasp). However, more levelheaded fans are pointing out that Freeza's final form was just that – his final form; he didn't have any transformations left. To me, and to many others, this new "golden" Freeza appears to be a transformation akin to Goku's Super Saiyan God transformation.

It seems like this movie's going to be extremely action-packed, and I'm excited for that. I loved Battle of Gods but I found it to be boring in some places. (Toriyama noted this himself; that's why this movie's got far more action sequences.) I love that Vegeta's going to have a larger role, and I strongly believe he's going to be the one who defeats Freeza and finally surpasses Goku.

That said, I hope Toriyama continues to produce Dragon Ball Z movies and eventually a new series that decanonizes Dragon Ball GT (because that shit was garbage).

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Just work on a new series for christ's sake. These movies are trash for the most part.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I have a strong feeling that based on everything we've seen and heard so far that Vegeta is going to be the hero of the movie. I'm wondering if he'll get the SSJG ability as well.
    Well, we do see in the trailer Vegeta standing in front of a damaged Goku, looking bad-ass as always. I don't really have a problem with Frieza's new form, I really like the simplistic approach they've been giving to these new forms.

I have extremely low standards when it comes to Dragon Ball, this could be awful and I'll still probably love it based on nostalgia alone.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Just to get this thread up to date, a new Super Saiyan form was confirmed a few weeks back and new scans reveal the new look, called Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...m-revealed-for-dbz-resurrection-f-film/.86933

Additionally, if you haven't heard it yet, here is the official theme song for the film
    [video=youtube;DOy0J-gO0Ic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOy0J-gO0Ic[/video]

Will

Huh.

Well that almost certainly rules out the possibility that Vegeta's going to be the hero of the film.

travz21

Why would they reveal that? I would nut in my pants if I was surprised by that during the movie. Now it's predictable.

Will

I've noticed that Japanese media tends to reveal everything about anything before it's released. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm still big into Pokémon (I know, I know) and their media reveals practically every little detail about upcoming games or anime episodes before they're released. It's mindboggling.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Some images of upcoming figures were released recently from the Dragonball Heroes line (meaning official merchandising) that had Goku AND Vegeta with blue hair so he still may have his opportunity to shine.

Will

Here's a new four-minute preview of the movie. Spoilers, obviously.

[youtube]3KPybLK-yMs[/youtube]

Spoilers: It looks like Freeza's men come back with Freeza himself. I didn't see that coming. (Although I'm not sure why I didn't.) I'm guessing only those loyal to him came back and we probably won't see Bardock or most of the other Saiyans from Planet Vegeta.

I was reading through the old posts in the thread and saw this one and had to respond even though it's like six or seven months late.

Toriyama's intent was always to end with the Cell saga: Goku's death was meant to be permanent and Gohan was supposed to be the strongest Super Saiyan that ever lived. Period. But he was sort of pressured into continuing the series, which is why there was a considerable gap between the end of the Cell arc and the beginning of the Buu arc in the manga that lead to the creation of the World Tournament arc in the anime itself prior to the Buu arc. That's why he left the series altogether after the Buu arc (although he stayed on in a sort of advisory capacity and did some designs for Dragon Ball GT).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    travz21

Gohan was bullshit after the Cell saga. Him going SSJ2 has some hardcore nostalgia personally and for him to be totally ruined after that still pisses me off.

I painstakingly taped each Toonami DBZ episode on the VCR while I was in like 7th or 8th grade so I could come home and watch Gohan pwn. Hyperbolic time chamber, going SSJ for the first time, walking around SSJ 24/7 with Goku. That whole lead up was amazing. The Android and Cell saga was about as epic as any anime gets.

Then we get the World Tournament and Buu saga with fucking the Great Saiyaman and Mystic Gohan. So horrible. Luckily Buu was pretty dynamic as a character so it was interesting, but everything else was pretty goddamn shitty.

Will

I absolutely agree with everything you said. Super Saiyan 2 Gohan could've been so amazing if they'd have kept up on that arc. Instead like you said we got the Great Saiyaman and fucking more Mr. Satan.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;u46TCtwhYE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46TCtwhYE8[/video]

First US teaser Trailer, along with a set theatrical release date; August 4-12.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

The Great saiyaman arc made sense in context of the series and was actually pretty enjoyable IMO, and I wholeheartedly disagree with the whole "Gohan was ruined" bullshit that people have been saying for years.
    Gohan was never a true fighter by heart, remember.
    Now the fact that Toriyama always hinted that Gohan would be the "chosen one" and Goku's succesor is a whole other discussion.
    The mystic Gohan powerup was so bullshit, and almost POINTLESS to the plot - Overall the buu saga was probably the most flawed in the whole series, but I still think Gohan transition to adulthood made sense.
    And now people can't get used to seeing him in the father role since he, unlike his father, actually seems to be there for his family.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    travz21

He wasn't a true fighter, but during the Cell saga he experienced what happens to innocent and good people when he's not strong enough. This scene especially:

[youtube]iFPmUc34JNk[/youtube]

For the rest of his life he'd think of that moment every time he wakes up in the morning. He'd be traumatized and hardened. He'd turn from a soft little kid to someone who needs to constantly keep getting stronger so he never sees anyone suffer again.

The whole reason Gohan transformed to SSJ2 was because he was mad at himself for being so careless towards other people's lives. He didn't want to fight or be strong, but he didn't consider what that meant for the world's safety. Up until that point in time he didn't really understand why he needed to reach his full potential. And when he does understand ("And I won't watch this anymore!"), his "hidden" power finally unlocks.

So for Gohan to go from that pivotal point in his life to not training for the next like 7 years until the Buu saga is a ridiculous butchering of his character. It's absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable.

Gohan would have grown into a perfect combination of Goku and Vegeta in the logical progression of the story. He'd always kill the villain when he had the chance, especially learning from his mistake from not killing Cell immediately. He wouldn't have pride. He'd train for others and not himself. He'd be cold and calculated. He'd be the perfect killing machine but still with a heart and soul. All because of 16's speech.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Alexrednex

We could discuss this all day and I understand where you are coming from, but In the end I can just point at the anime/manga and say that you misunderstood his character.
    And especially the part about him being a killing machine... He has always been more HUMAN than SAIYAN. The only times the Saiyan blood got the best of him is in his "rage" boosts, which isn't his true self.
    Even after the death of 16(and his father) Gohan still didn't believe in his own fighting capabilities. If your main argument is that the death of 16 would change him into a killing machine, why didn't he kill Cell right away when he returned from King Kai's planet?
    Or why did he feel the need to play around with him before killing him in the first place?
    If it weren't for Goku talking Gohan into killing Cell in the last beam struggle, he would have given up - hell he wouldn't even have tried.
    A true fighter would never just give up like that.
    He doesn't believe in himself - and most importantly he doesn't want to fight.
    Goku recognized this too late, emphasized in his dialog with Piccolo during the SS Gohan vs Cell fight.
    Besides, the reason he didn't train in the years after the Cell games is because there weren't a single thread, making it the longest period in the DB series with peace.
    Gohan has never trained in the series unless there was a stronger foe, threatening to kill his friends/family.
    I don't think Gohan ever imagined there being an enemy stronger than Cell, and therefor he didn't feel the need to train.
    Unlike Vegeta and Goku(full blooded saiyans) training, fighting and becoming stronger isn't Gohan's passion.
    Said with other word: Hard work beats talent(potentiel) when talent fails to work hard.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Teaser Trailer for Dragonball Super!

[video=youtube;TEcSYr8m9Wc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEcSYr8m9Wc[/video]

Alexrednex

[video=youtube;WiONylGn8Xw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiONylGn8Xw[/video]
    New English Trailer.
    Looking forward to watch this!
    Frieza's voice actually doesn't sound silly for once.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    travz21

His voice sounds like every other generic villain ever made, but it's not horrible. Linda Young's Frieza can't be topped. Such a distinct and unique voice for the character.

The movie looks way better in this trailer. I'm way more excited to see the rest of the Z fighters actually be useful. Goku is boring as fuck now. I'll just pretend Gohan doesn't exist. He's so pathetic now.

Will

Master Roshi fighting was the best part of that trailer.