Thoughts on the shortened songs?

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by limonpower, Oct 7, 2014.

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

What are your opinions on LP shortening songs to be able to perform more (like they did on that Yahoo livestream concert)? For those of you that didn't see it, instead of V-C-V-C-B-C, they are doing V-C-B-C. This allows them to play way more of their amazing music, but when they play a B-Side you like, it will almost definitely not be the full thing. Discuss.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I know I'm in the unpopular opinions side, but I actually like the shortened songs because it allows more of their discography to be included. It allows for more songs to be played and more unique spins on other tunes. I don't agree with them shortening UIG though.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I personally loved the new set this time around. The energy is always there, and more songs get to be played. I can imagine that the new set with integrated songs is much more difficult for the band to perform, but we pay a lot of money to see them so put the work in, LP! Who knows how sustainable the updated shows are, though, because I would think it puts an extra strain on Chester's voice. We'll see how they do in Europe.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

We dont have to listen to full Runaway, so i think i like it :kappa:

Seriously, i am not really a fan of this shortened songs , also if there is some energy. I like how songs like Crawling came from a more slowly Verse to a fu****g exploding chorus. I dont like it that much to be honest and hope that they will but it out in the European Tour (i doubt that)

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

I love it, it keeps the energy level high. This way they can perform much more songs. I mean the shortened songs don't sound incomplete or lack quality because of that.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm indifferent to most of them. I just think it's ridiculous that they shortened the biggest single off their current album (Until It's Gone), and the sped-up tempo makes Crawling sound absolutely dreadful.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I think it's fucking terrible. Absolutely awful decision.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

My main problem with the shortened songs.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, other than "Until It's Gone", they haven't shortened any songs that I'm actually a big fan of so, on the whole, I like it. If they would shorten "Numb" (or, better yet, remove it altogether), it'd be even better :)

EDIT: to elaborate ... most of the songs that have been shortened, I would be happy to see gone

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I reckon they'll keep the rap medley/numb-encore flow they've got going now, I think it works tbh

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

Yeah its kinda a bummer that they're doing this. It is nice that more songs can be played though

chayand1

chayand1 Well-Known Member

A really, really bad idea.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I absolutely GUARANTEE 95% or more of the people bitching about the shortened songs would have been bitching about the "same old setlist" if LP made all these songs full-length on this touring cycle, because it would have come at the expense of stuff like Mike and Joe's solo spots, the Blackout/Robot Boy interludes, With You, Somewhere I Belong, Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You...etc. Linkin Park is going to play an hour and 40 minute set every night, period. People complain about that not being enough, but I have a feeling they'd be complaining more if they were playing 2+ hours and having to cancel shows all the time because of Chester destroying his voice. They're doing what they can with the set time they have to work with. You're either going to get a greatest hits set of all full-length songs, or you're going to get a set with some songs shortened to make room for stuff that might actually appease some of the eternally unsatisfied, armchair quarterback online fanbase this band has.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

It makes it all just feel rushed and more like ''We don't actually care, let's just get this done''
    And they don't even make variations about it, like sometimes they play these songs in a longer version!
    It's like when your favorite songs comes on, and it's done before you even get the feel of it.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

That's what I tried to hint at during my post, but yet again, you've articulated yourself exponentially better than I have. Even from talking to LPU members during my M&G in Holmdel, many of them were upset about the shortened songs. Their point was that Joe shouldn't have this long solo and Mike shouldn't be doing the Robot Boy intro and synth if they have no plans on adding the vocals. I actually loved seeing Joe showcase his abilities. Honestly, with how little he is present on The Hunting Party, I thought it was a nice refresher to hear some funky beats (albeit, I'm a fan of electronic music, anyway).

I would rather have an hour and forty minute set with some variety and curve balls than hearing an hour and forty minute predictable Linkin Park set. I'd be willing to bet that no one thought the band was going to play any version of a song like Runaway, unless they stay up-to-date on the set lists (I see you, Kevin). For this tour, in particular, I made it a point to avoid LPA's homepage so I wouldn't see the sets. That Camden show was incredible when I got to hear songs I never thought they would play live.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

There are a few I like, and a few I dislike. For example, shortening stuff like Lost In The Echo and Until It's Gone is really stupid. They should be played in full. On the flipside, I'm all for shortening Burn It Down and New Divide. I'm indifferent towards the the shortened Runaway and Crawling.

NimaLP

NimaLP LP Persian Soldier

I think these ones should be shortened:

Burn It Down
    Numb
    Castle Of Glass (Experience Version) [I think they'd better shorten the Recharged part]
    Waiting For The End [I love the intro and outro but the song itself make me sleepy]
    Points Of Authority

And these ones should be played in full:

Papercut [SPECIALLY!!!]
    Until It's Gone
    Lost In The Echo

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

I really love it, to be honest, it makes the show a hell of a lot more exciting. I especially like when they medley songs together like they have been doing. Linkin Park is such a diverse band now with a pretty decent discography and the like, and this way we get to hear more of what they have to offer live.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

Exactly my thoughts. I'm also not a fan of these "snippets" like from Robot Boy or Blackout, that's neither fish nor fowl. I find it better to have just 15 (homogen but still varied) songs, so they can "breathe" and have more time to spread, instead of almost 30 (ragbag) songs, which will be played like in fast motion with almost no connection to each other. I find it wrong to try obsessive putting many songs as possible to the setlist. When they are brave, then they would make their setlist more dynamic - more braveness to kick popular songs out, and put rarely played (or never played ones) songs in there. That would be - for sure - more exciting / refreshing for the band and for the crowd. There will always be people complaining about certain things, so it's a waste of time to regard some of their "needs". And when Chester has problems to sing harder songs, then why not kicking some of them out and play them another time? There are problems which CAN be solved relatively, when they would just do it. But this will never happen, at least not in near future.

To me, the songs have to fit together, the mood for example. Also, the communication with the crowd have to be there. When this happen, it will stick more in my memory.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

I am a fan of this new setlist. Like others said, it keeps the energy up and shakes things up from their previous tours. However, I do understand the grievances about the shorter songs. I wished they didn't shorten Lost in the Echo and Until its Gone but overall am pleased about which songs are shortened. When you're at the concert, it really keeps you energetic because your honestly getting a full blast of their music over a short amount of time and while I would love it if they played for like another hour, this is probably the best adjustment.

However, I completely disagree with the point about it seeming like they don't care. As a Linkin Park fan, you should know the band does care and while it may make the songs feel rushed, it was never the goal of the band to just put out a bunch of songs real fast and get it done. They are going be there for the full concert time (barring an external incident) whether they want to or not and I am willing to bet they want to be there since they are going on almost two decades of performing.