What films have you recently seen? Pt.2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by lime treacle, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Citizenfour (2014) - 5/5

One of the most important documentaries of the last few years.

2. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Spongebob! Actually pretty funny. Not gonna spoil anything, but I'd give it a 7.5/10

3. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Boyhood (2014) - 4/5

While not a bad film by any means, I feel like this movie is getting more attention for the way it was shot, rather than the quality of the content itself. The performances of some of the actors (particuarly Ellar Coltrane as the lead) brought the movie a bit down for me. Oddly enough, the girl who played his sister got worse in performance as the years went along. Despite all of this, the story being told really does pull you in, and has some very powerful things to say. The fact that they used the same actors over 12 sequential years gives a level of realism that you can't find anywhere else.

4. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

kingsman: the secret service

extremely fun and absolutely fucking mental

(that church scene tho)

8.5/10

5. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Seven Psychopats: 2/5 - wuuut

18 Year-Old Virgin: 4/5 - This movie goes beyond fucking dumb and I love it.

6. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The performances to me felt very real also. The whole thing just feels legit as fuck.

7. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Due to the flu I currently have, I've found quite a bit of free time to watch movies. At least I got that going for me:

The Social Network - 8,5/10
    interesting movie and well acted

Gone Girl - 9/10
    fucked up

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 7,5/10
    enjoyable movie, probably the best X-Men movie around.

Live. Die. Repeat. (Edge of Tomorrow) - 8/10
    loved every minute of it, has a very nice journey of character growth for Tom Cruise's character.

Joe - 9/10
    very dark and nicely shot drama with great performances (that includes Nic Cage).

Locke - 9/10
    I thought the movie was gonna end up more dark than it turned out to be but the entire movie is an accomplishment, simply because it held my interest for 85 minutes despite it only taking place in Locke's car and only progresses the story through phonecalls. kudos to Tom Hardy, who was sick during the shooting of this movie.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - 9/10
    what a sequel should be.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Field of Lost Shoes (2014)- This one's an excellent low budget movie about a battle fought towards the end of the Civil War. Confederate major general John C. Breckinridge was tasked with defending New Market Gap. With not enough men at his disposal he called upon the cadets at the Virginia Military Institute. This movie follows 7 of the cadets (age 12-19) as they march into battle. As I said, it is low budget, but Sean McNamara used it all beautifully. The acting is also really good. I enjoyed it, and if you don't have anything going on it's only an hour and a half.

8/10. Could've expanded on some relationships/issues more, but still very well done.

9. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Fight Club: 4/5

Fuck. This was big. Damn it.

10. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 7,5/10
    Just as good as I remember it.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 9/10
    Definitely not as boring as I remember it (in fact, I think this is my favourite SW movie now).

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 7,5/10
    Not as good as I remember it.

11. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

back to the future thrillogy
    basically back to the future 1 - 3
    but havent seen 3 yet when they are in the west:crikey:

12. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Django Unchained 10/10- Undoubtedly in my top 5 movies of all time. The style, acting, soundtrack... Everything works together in this movie.

13. mandylane

cool that you enjoyed it

14. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Nightcrawler (2014)

An impressive and well-shot mix of suspense, action, and black comedy. Jake Gyllenhaal really channeled his inner Travis Bickle. His performance was genuinely unnerving. You're never completely certain how far his character is willing to take things.

15. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Nightcrawler - 9/10

Well. This movie exceeded my expectations. Insane acting from Jake Gyllenhaal that really gets under your skin. Like Tim said above me, you're never really certain how far he'll take things. Aside from the great acting, there are more things to say about this movie. The cinematography is gorgeous and the score adds to the suspense happening on screen and the insanity of Jake Gyllenhaal's character. Definitely would suggest this movie to anyone.

16. mandylane

honeymoon.

17. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Fifty Shades of Grey, 2/5. As much as I love her, not even Dakota Johnson could save this movie. I knew it would be bad, but damn, this was like, very bad. The first half of the movie was actually quite hilarious, but the second half was just well fucked up. I don't even know. There were moments of horrible dialogue throughout which felt very fabricated and were at times discomforting.

There was a line, “I'm fifty shades of fucked up,” which was cringeworthy at best, and even better, a line, “I don’t make love. I fuck. Hard.” I am genuinely curious, in what delusional dimension is this sexy? There was a point in the film when Christian shows up at a bar where Ana is drinking, despite the fact that she gave him absolutely no indication as to where she was. How does that work? Especially in a city like Seattle, or Portland, or whatever the fuck city they're in. I'm genuinely puzzled. This whole movie confuses the shit out of me.

I have no idea how this movie came to be, let alone a best selling novel. It's bad. It's really bad. The target audience is young females, but aren't they the same girls who hate being sexualised? But then they go see this film to watch Dakota get awkwardly spanked? To essentially get stalked? Swap the roles and this ins't appropriate. Remove the money and this isn't appropriate. I don't even know, it's 2am.

2 points for Dakota Johnson.

E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, 5/5. I remember this film from my childhood and I am so happy I decided to rewatch it. It's a wonderful movie and there isn't much to dislike about it. E.T. is insanely adorable, especially when speaking, repeating "Elliot" over and over, etc. I loved the ending, as Michael's friends come through and help out, when E.T. flies them into the forest and the gut-wrenching goodbye. I don't know. It's just an overall beautiful film.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  18. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I managed to avoid watching Fifty Shades of Grey with my friends. Phew!

19. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

Fifty Shades of Grey is the definition of meh.

20. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Gone Girl (2014)

Good performances all around, and the presentation is up there with Fincher's best. The story, however, got a little too contrived for me, and it kept getting harder and harder for me to suspend disbelief. Even after two and a half hours, I was struggling to understand the motivations of some of these characters. Their choices seemed like more of a convenience to better serve the plot than anything organic or earned. After an hour and a half, I was barely engaged with the film.