Music The Catalyst (Guitar Improv)

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Ali812, Aug 5, 2014.

Ali812

Ali812 Member

Long time LPA lurker, first time poster. First of, hello to the LPA community and all LP fans out there! So I recently picked up on playing the guitar, I'm still EXTREMELY novice and don't know much, have little to no knowledge of the theoretical aspect on guitar playing (I just jam when I practice, trying new sounds out). Chords? Scales? Key? Don't know much about all that stuff but I'm working on it!

So this is my first piece of work that I've recorded and what better way to have a recording inauguration than by recording something LP-inspired?! It's an instrumental of "The Catalyst" that starts from the interlude/bridge ("lift me up, let me go") part until the end of the song and my guitar work on top of that. Most of it was improvisation except for one portion that was planned out, you'll know it when you hear it. On another note, given my current novice skill level, my recording equipment isn't all that fancy (USB connection from amplifier to PC) so the guitar quality isn't exactly that great but it's not that bad on the ears.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/alih812/the-catalyst-guitar-improv

Anyways, the best place for critique, suggestions, and tips for a piece like this is probably this forum. So please let me know what you guys think, what I did correctly and any improvements I can make as a guitar player, thank you! :)

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Well it'd be good to know if you at least know the names of strings and can read tabs - always a great place to start for a guitarist. Honestly, once you get those two things down over and over, thrown in with some knowledge of chords, you'll be composing original stuff that can satisfy your ears and others' soon enough. That's the beauty of our instrument of choice, man.

As for novice, this actually sounds better than others who fall under that category that I've heard, mainly just in being able to tell what sounds "right" (good) versus what is clearly bad. You're off to a good start, man.

And the quality's not god awful either, you're right.

Ali812

Ali812 Member

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I do know the strings and can read tabs (probably should have mentioned that in the OP). I really haven't dabbled into what the guitar can offer as a whole since I've only played in standard and drop D tuning. I did also learn some chords early on but they're very basic, I did pick up on some bar chords while jamming without even realizing it so that was neat. It's good to know I've started off properly, thank you!