New music from Slipknot

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mr. Awesome, Aug 1, 2014.

Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome Well-Known Member

Sounds like if this song came from their first album or Iowa, but I'm still a bit skeptical on the current line up since Clown is the only and last founding member of the band remaining right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3K_q3PpKpY

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I can't breathe. Feel like punching someone in the face right now. And I'm not even a fan.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I didnt listened that much to them but this is really cool :headbang:

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Woah, that is extremely Iowa-like. If someone told be this was an Iowa B-Side, I wouldn't even question it. The song is alright, but sounds too much like a rewrite of People = Shit for my taste. Will wait for the album to pass full judgement though. Kinda wary of the rumor that it may be a Double Album now.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I had a moment of that, just a second, but it doesn't really bother me. The only complaint I have is the chorus is rather unmemorable. The rest is crazy though.

Gibs

Yup, It's grown on me a bit now. Loving the drums. Crazy shit.

It's worth mentioning that when you go to the website, and register for an account, it tells you that a Music Video for The Negative One will premiere on the 5th.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

My account is not working anymore. Anyone with the same problem?

But nvm, it's on YouTube.

Gibs

Really wish the Bass was higher up in the mix. You can hear it, but its hardly there.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

I've voiced my opinions on MFKRBoard. It took a minute to grow on me, it's been a while since I've listened to a song in the Iowa Slipknot style, so at first I hated it, But once I channelled my inner 14 year old again, I fell in love with it. Definitely a blast from the past while not feeling too stale. I am officially psyched for the album.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Slipknot:The_Negative_One
    Decided to transcribe the lyrics, since I found so many examples already that were horribly transcribed, I'm 98% confident on these ones ;3

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Cool, but I'm not really feeling it. I can definitely agree with the Iowa comments.

Oliver

Oliver Spela Shoreline!

Sounds like a mix of "Eyeless", "People = Shit" and "Before I Forget". And it's amazing. Wish there was just a little more vocal melody somewhere, but I guess for the first big comeback they wanna please all the old schoolers haha! I have a good feeling about this album!

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Sound very unmetal

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

To me it just feels like the band standing still. It's a "ok" track, but it doesn't advance the band in any way or do anything to enhance their sound. To me it's like they deliberately chose to play it safe and return to 'Iowa' to satisfy the fans mourning the death of Paul, and the quitting of Jordy, rather than experiment with the new lineup and reinvent themselves.

I just...wasn't that impressed. I turned the track off before it ended.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

i agree with derek. the track felt flat and was therefore genuinely uninteresting, sadly.

Kaique Smart

Kaique Smart There's nothing to fear but fear itself

Nothing special, just average. I will hardly listen to it again.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I'm not impressed.

It's not the style because I really like Iowa, and this track is actually a good song on its own too. It's just that, as a casual fan only, I don't feel the appeal of hearing this exact same sound again. If I want to hear it, then I prefer to blast their old stuff which I have loved for many years. But as far as their new stuff is concerned, they'll need to make things more fresh to keep me interested.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

In Slipknot 's defense, I think you have to understand that their fanbase leans heavily in the metal community. Those fans don't want to hear the band go on some prog metal journey. Like the fans lost their shit over vol.3 because there were a couple of acoustic tracks. They don't have that leeway,which is the precise reason Corey has Stone Sour.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

As Pidgeon said, it's true. I'm sure the band as a whole would love to go in a different direction, but as far as I can see, this new album is purely going to be fan service, simple as that. Vol .3 is probably the most experimental we are ever going to hear them go.

Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome Well-Known Member

I did enjoyed their new song, but I can see why some of you guys aren't too impressed since Corey wants their next album to sound like a combination of Iowa and Vol 3, but I like to see them add touches of other styles of metal and expand a bit.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Gibs

I'm pretty sure this album is going to be named Vol. 5, similar to their third album. I remember last week when they were doing that viral marketing, on Facebook, I saw "Vol. 5" as a description for one of the pictures.

Might was well call it Vol. 5 (Iowa II). :shifty: