Definitive LP Chords

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by BTorio, Jul 28, 2014.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm just a noob at acoustic guitar, so I don't have much to contribute or discuss on this topic. Rather, I'm just searching for chords for some LP songs, specifically Waiting for The End. I found one on UltimateGuitar, but it doesn't sound quite right, and the ratings show others agree.
    http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/linkin_park/waiting_for_the_end_ver3_crd.htm

Feel free to turn this into some kind of definitive list of LP chords, songs like Numb and such are easy to find out there, but others are really hard to find, and I've only found one tab of the Messenger that was actually accurate here: http://www.linkinparkguitar.com/tabs.htm

Again, I'm a beginner, but I enjoy learning these basic versions of songs just to jam with friends and such.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Astat has the most accurate tabs I have seen. Ultimate guitar is so so.http://www.lplive.net/astat/Guitar_tabs/

Or are you looking more for accurate acoustic guitar chords? The Messenger is one of the easier songs to tab as it's just strummed and uses a common trick of using the third fret in the b and e strings (Smashing Pumpkins did this a lot).

Edit: I clicked your link and it was Astat! Stick with him. The link I posted is easier to navigate. Bit again, what he does is tab accurately to what is played on the albums. Not sure if you wanted that or just chords to play songs that aren't really guitar chord based (like Waiting for the End)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I can't read tabs. This fucks with me an awful lot.

lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm looking for renditions that can be played with just one acoustic guitar, so like basic chords, maybe with some tab for intros/solos or whatever, things that would make the song recognizable you know? Like I can look at the tab for songs like Guilty All the Same, but I can't really play anything that makes sense with one guitar since it has like 7 guitars in it (I'm not trying to play that song, but it's the most obvious example of what I mean, idk if that song could possibly be translated well to one guitar lol). And for WFTE, those chords cover the bridge nicely, but it sounds a bit off during the verses to me.

Here's the kind of thing I like to find:
    http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/linkin-park-iridescent-acoustic-tab-g-s314672

It's just chords, but then they provide a way to get that little interlude down in the bridge, I think stuff like that is really cool but it's hard to find (and I certainly can't come up with it myself).

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Wait for Astat.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Just take the information that Astat provides and make your own arrangements (although I know nothing about coming up with arrangements on gtr)

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

-me LOL

Justin V.

I can help out. I know how it is when you first start out. It's easy for people to say "do it yourself". If we always applied that logic we wouldn't have people like Astat in the first place. Do you have a list of songs you'd like? I agree songs like Guilty aren't necessarily tough, but no one will recognize it until you hit the verse. If I played it acoustic I would skip the intro entirely.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I've found that transcribing some songs acoustically just doesn't really work. The half-step, drop-tuned guitar work on the first two albums in particular makes transcribing to an acoustic guitar (at least one in standard tuning) a real pain. LP also doesn't use "full" chords in a lot of their songs, so you're left to figure out which chord voicings to use yourself - "Is that a major or minor 3rd? Should this chord be a 7th chord?"

I actually tend to avoid Linkin Park covers when I play my acoustic shows. A lot of their songs are hard to sing, working out the arrangements is tough...and I don't want to JUST be known as the "Linkin Park guy." :lol: But I have played a couple, I do The Messenger occasionally (WAY lower than the original, I usually play it in D, sometimes E if I'm feeling ballsy), and I actually do Skin to Bone a lot. That song's so synth-y you wouldn't think it'd work acoustically at first, but when you figure out the chords it's basically just Am, E, and Dm, with a random F in the bridge.

Justin V.

I agree. Chords work best for certain songs. One Step Closer is more riff based versus chords for example. Some songs will never translate well. If you have some requests just post them up

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what y'all mean. I wouldn't care to sing "shut up when I'm talking to you" over an acoustic guitar anyways lol. But some songs I just feel like would be pretty cool, like WFTE, Valentine's Day, etc. and I can't find good chords or arrangements for them.