Is anybody disappointed in Mike for taking shots at other bands?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 6, 2014.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

CHVRCHES responded to Mike calling them disney commercial rock with

"It seemed like a bit of a pointless dig, though," adds multi-instrumentalist Iain Cook. "I don't really know what he has to gain from it."

"I call bullshit a little bit on that one because it's not a coincidence that his band has a record to sell and he mentioned several bands that people are writing about. It's not an opinion I worry about hugely because it's not my kind of music," she continues.

"I don't really like being called a corporate sellout by the man that wrote the music for the MTV VMAs."

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-QaEH5r8xI

With that said. Is anybody disappointed with Mike shit talking other bands to hype the album up? I personally thought it was very arrogant. I'm sure Mike is really proud of the record, but once again less talk more rock. The Hunting Party felt like more talk..

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Well Mike did respond to the comment saying that it wasn't a shot at the band and the type of music they were making. It was more along the lines of the "volume" of music they were making. The post following the link to the Chvrches interview led to his blog the what he responded. He states he likes the band but just didn't like the "volume" of the band that fact that so many bands were trying to be like Chvrches. He likes them just not at the "volume" they were playing. But yes, I would prefer Mike didn't try to take an aggressive stance against other bands that have not done a wrong like making music that he didn't like but I don't think that was the point he was trying to get across.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

At the end of the day he's still calling them a generic band. Adding that he enjoys there music doesn't change the fact that he categorized them in what he felt was wrong with rock music today which is pretty pretty damn ironic seeing how people used to talk shit about LP and categorized them with other bands under what was wrong with rock music during the nu-metal craze. He should know better LP has been part of the problem with Living Things. Mike takes the L for this one. He didn't think that through. Less talk more rock.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

The band retweeted Mike's blog entry, so they're okay I guess? Although, I hate how everybody is just blaming Mike. Only recently did Chester directly insult imagine dragons in an interview. Mike has always a bit of a blabbermouth in interviews. But I have to agree it's ruining a good album's image. They should just send Brad and Phoenix to do all interviews. Brad is like the opposite of Mike in that sense, he only talks when he has to and thinks before talking.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Yeah, fuck that Shinoda cunt. :disgust:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ This. I've personally been disappointed with this whole angle from the get-go and it only got worse once the name-dropping began

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I think it's perfectly acceptable unless they decide to pull a 180 and LP7 is indie pop rock again.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah. My opinion.

I dont see the problem. He didnt attacked them so they just misunderstood his statemants. Why shouldnt he say what he think about the music industrie? Maybe some people have the same opinion as Mike and start to make more #Visceral ( :kappa: ) music again. I dont listen to CHVRCHES , so i dont know what kind of (rock) music they make. Everone has the right to say his opinion atleast he didnt hurt someone with it. I dont care about Mikes image. He surely knows what he does.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Here's another example of click-baiting by journalists.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jack-white-lady-gaga-is-all-artifice-20121205

He simply made a comment about the over-emphasis of image in the music industry. Media made it look like he called her a manufactured artist and took a dump on her whole career.

Favourite quote from Jack White's response:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Very. It's hypocritical and unnecessary.

minuteforce

Chvrches make electronic pop music. :sleep:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It's kinda stupid to call out a pop group for not being a rock band, but whatev.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Who determines whether it's necessary or not? What if he just has an opinion on a particular genre of music? What makes expressing an opinion "necessary" or not?

minuteforce

In terms of what's necessary to promote a Linkin Park album, I would personally argue that criticising specific bands for being "generic" and not "daring" enough is very much unnecessary.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Sure, what "necessary" is can be subjective, but these comments are creating unneeded backlash with poor rep for the band, and obviously didn't work in Mike's favor to get his point across. It's not like he was asked to drop names. He just started firing at some pretty big bands.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

What I don't understand is that there are still people saying Mike didn't attack anyone.

Really? Do not even try to tell me that saying someone's music sounds like "Disney commercial music" is not insulting. Mike also brought up Mark Foster's history of being a jingle writer as if it was something to be ashamed of, as if all he does for Foster The People is write jingles to sell albums. He has used the word "pussy" to describe the way this music sounds.

And then, after all that, he goes on his blog and blames music journalists? Are you kidding me? Talk about cowardly.

Try-hard Chimi

Try-hard Chimi Well-Known Member

its not insulting when its indeed disney comercial music

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure this is incorrect.

Anyway he didn't come across as a humble guy which is my biggest problem - I personally understood what he meant all the time through.
    My other problem is the fact that it became redundant very fast.

But I honestly agree with a lot of the things he said - I just don't like the way he said it and the he shouldn't had name dropped other bands.

M&M

M&M Banned

I personally am not a big fan of the music style of bands like CVRCHES, Purity Ring, etc., so I do not mind that Mike pretty much bashed that kind of music. Mike also said recently that he doesn't hate that kind of music, rather he hates the quantity of it. He doesn't like how there are so many bands doing that style right now on rock radio. You can't blame him for that because I'm pretty sure we all like heavy rock music since we are all on a Linkin Park fan site.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I guess you're kind of right: looking back he never outright spoke the word "pussy." But he implied it on several occasions, talking about how if their 16-year-old selves heard them make this indie pop rock stuff they'd think they were pussies. In this interview, starting at 1:05, he talks about how "wimpy" is a good word because there are others he can't really say on radio.

http://www.fm949sd.com/fm/2014/03/0...-tomo-from-tstm#sthash.SuIFKaOJ.4atzibSR.dpbs

"Disney commercial music" "wimpy" "jingles" "herbivorous"

"Mike never insulted anyone it's music journalist's fault click-bait!!"

No.