The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

The "How did LP make that sound?" Thread - Research

Okay, I didn't find an identical thread, so I decided to make one.

A lot of Linkin Park's work have interesting sounds that a lot of us want to replicate/modify. This thread is where you post if you know how a certain sound on a certain song is made, anything, like the various Synth sounds they've used over time. You can either request a sound, or post if you know any.

Also, it's better to deal with VSTs/DAWs since they're more accessible than actual Synthesizers.
    And while requesting a sound, make sure to specify the song and also the section of the song where the sound appears, and anyone who has an idea will possibly help you. Well, we'll try our best. :D

P.S - Most of the time, it's not entirely possible to perfectly replicate a sound, so even if it sounds close to the actual sound, post away!

So, go ahead! :awesome:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I would be down to help with this. I am working on tabbing GATS. Solo sounds like a wah/auto wah with a whammy pedal. I am pretty good with guitars, sound design and synth work.

Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

I love the concept of the thread! I'd love to have some massive/sylenth presets of synths used in LP's songs. You can watch a tutorial of how to recreate Crawling's synth here.

Andrew_Jaku likes this.
    Arachnids

Seen that. I'll add that to the OP. :D

@Justin V, that'd be very cool if you did. :)

I'll post how to replicate the High-pitch Synth in 'In My Remains' tomorrow. I also found a patch on Massive that if you tweak a little, sounds like the distorted Synth on When They Come For Me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

If you shove a USB mic about 2.5 inches into your anal cavity right before a ghost chili pepper shit, you get the entirety of Meteora.

Andrew_Jaku likes this.
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

^Lolzes.

Ending of Session. What is it?

Justin V.

That crazy noise before Numb? From what I remember it was a super stretched Chester Scream with some other noise behind it. Extreme stretching and some other processing brings out some crazy artifacts in the sound.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

The Catalyst intro synth was a patch on the virus ti keyboard. If anyone has one, you'll find the patch number.

Blackout's intro vocals are just vocals in reverse with the volume slowly increasing. The ending vocal effect when their vocals collide and distort is something that can be done in Garageband. When I figure out what it's called I'll edit this. Also Chester's screams are layered with his regular screaming and a lower pitch scream underneath.

The Requiem uses submarine sonar samples with a little bit of chorus in them. Also uses a mix of light auto tune, chorus, and reverb in the vocal part.

Also, most of the sound effects in the A Thousand Suns LPTVs are apple loops.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Justin V.

Awesome post Goldenbear. GATS is all transcribed except one last bit in the solo. Total I have the main rhythm, lead 1 (main melody, verse 2 guitar, solo), lead 2 (pre-chorus and a clean verse part i could only hear on the multi track) and the tapping part. Solo consists of arpeggios on the A string along with tremolo picking with an auto wah responding to the dynamics second after the distortion in the fx chain followed by a fast rotary to get that wobbling slightly panning effect. I will try to post clips of me playing each part soon (no camera).

Edit: That effect for Blackout you are talking about may be a bit crush on the vocal steadily increasing while reducing the bout rate.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah. Obvious bitcrushing/downsampling.

Cylock_Dnb

Cylock_Dnb Well-Known Member

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

MORE omg ^^^

Arachnids

This is correct. I'm pretty sure it was put through distortion too.

Yeah, I saw that on the videos where they take a tour of Mike's home studio. :D

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This is purely from racking my brain by going through the band's main discography in chronological order, so it's probably missing a lot of stuff I've researched over the years, but it's a start:

-The chorus vocals on the Hybrid Theory EP version of High Voltage are run through a vocoder, likely a Music and More VF-11 "Next!" unit, as was used on Intergalactic by the Beastie Boys (which the original version of High Voltage was clearly trying to imitate).

-The buzzing noises at the beginning/throughout Part of Me are a looped sample of a car alarm that Brad recorded on a handheld tape recorder at his apartment.

-The high-pitched loop in the intro/throughout Papercut is NOT a guitar, but an MPC sample played by Joe Hahn that was run through one of the distortion effects on a Boss GT-5 guitar multi-effects processor.

-One Step Closer has a camera shutter sound effect in it (best heard on the original "Plaster" demo).

-Points of Authority's guitar riff was created artificially in a computer. Mike took a different guitar riff that Brad had recorded, chopped it up, and rearranged it into the "stuttering" riff that wound up in POA. Brad had to learn how to play this after the fact in order to perform the song live. The short "swelling" guitar sound at roughly the 3:13 mark is also a clip of the "normal" guitar riff played backwards.

-The banging sounds in Foreword are actually the sound of Mike repeatedly hitting a broken CD burner with a metal baseball bat.

-Everyone's heard this one by now, but the intro to Somewhere I Belong is a chopped-up/reversed sample of Chester playing acoustic guitar, with some additional effects on it.

-The flute in Nobody's Listening is a Japanese shakuhachi.

-The opening sound on Wake is a needle being placed on a crackly old vinyl record.

-The sound at the beginning of What I've Done is a reversed guitar chord.

-The clunky sounds in the background of No More Sorrow (most easily heard in the intro) are the sounds of a broken air conditioner at the Laurel house. The melodic guitar figure throughout the song is played with an EBow.

-The keyboard sounds on In Pieces are either a marimba, or a virtual version of a marimba.

-The Requiem is largely comprised of samples of other songs found on A Thousand Suns. The vocals are Mike's voice run through a vocoder (possibly an Electro-Harmonix V256). The V256 was also used on Fallout.

-The tapping sounds at the beginning of When They Come For Me are actually one of the stock Pro Tools metronome sound effects, which are normally muted out of the final mix. They found a way to use them in the song. The Spanish lyrics in both Empty Spaces and When They Come For Me come from Brad yelling into a megaphone.

-The guitar solo on Waiting For the End uses a multi-octave splitting effect on an Electro-Harmonix HOG. Mike sat next to Brad while Brad was recording the solo and rhythmically flipped the Expression switch on the HOG on and off, creating the sweeping sounds heard on the album.

-The majority of the distorted guitar work in Wretches and Kings consists of a bunch of guitar samples recorded by Brad that Mike chopped up and played with an MPC. Several guitar samples from the same MPC sample bank were later used in Bruiser and Victimized.

-The vocals on The Catalyst use the Waves Metaflanger VST plugin.

-The instrument at the end of The Messenger (1:47 and onwards) is a harmonium.

-The pitch-shifted/tremolo picked guitar parts found in Waiting For the End and Tinfoil/Powerless use an Electro-Harmonix HOG, a Boss DD-7 delay pedal, and an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Plus reverb.

-The intro keyboards on Lost in the Echo started as Mike playing chords on a B. Toys Meowsic children's keyboard. He sampled that into his iPhone and used a mobile audio editor to create the intro heard on the album.

-The killswitch-like effects on the guitar work in Lies Greed Misery are created with a Drawmer Dual Gate, which uses a MIDI cue from Pro Tools to rhythmically cut off the sound of the guitar. This effect was also used on live performances of Points of Authority starting in 2012, to more accurately recreate the chopped-up guitar work on the Hybrid Theory recording.

-The guitar solo on Guilty All the Same uses the following pedals: A MoogerFooger MURF, an Earthquake Devices Hummingbird tremolo, a Strymon Bigsky, a Strymon Mobius, and a Devi Ever Truly Beautiful Disaster fuzz.

-The main string sample in Believe Me by Fort Minor is the "Orchestra Strings 08" sample from Apple Garageband.

Kiroyal likes this.
    Justin V.

A) Strymon makes amazing pedals. My guitarist has a blueSky and it's the most beautiful reverb I've heard. B) Everything Devi Ever makes is awesome and cannot be duplicated by things like Guitar Rig. F**k. Haha

Cylock_Dnb

Cylock_Dnb Well-Known Member

Made it. :)

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Thanks for pointing that out! I was wondering why the riff sounded a lot cleaner in the chord changes from 2012.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

And there's Astat who knows everything about Linkin park giving us a giant list of information about the songs.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

This thread is awesome. I may have to tweet this out.