The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

1. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

IDK, but it sounds very similar to the original one.

2. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I started making LP remakes/Instrumental covers. you can check it here https://soundcloud.com/music-maker-0-2
    And some sounds they made make me crazy, here some examples i'm searching for:

-The Catalyst second verse synth.
    -Numb theme.
    -Powerless intro sound (same sound i guess is also in Burning in the Skies).
    -Burn it Down SYNTHMANIA.
    -Roads Untraveled synth under the Piano.

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Mr. Astat, what keyboard/what keyboard patch does Mr. Shinoda use on the Castle of Glass remix? That really awesome semi-distorted saw like synth that hits as soon as the 'drop' happens.

4. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The only one I really know off the top of my head is that I'm pretty sure the "synth" on Roads Untraveled is an old Hammond organ.

It definitely sounds like a sawtooth thing. I've heard that exact keyboard patch (or something ridiculously close to it) on another song at some point, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

One or two instances of Massive will probably do if you're trying to recreate that

6. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Yes!, MASSIVE is Great.

7. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Once, I was at the airport.
    Then, there suddenly occurred an interesting, strange sound which immediately struck my mind.
    Then I remembered.

I was like: "WOW GUYS THIS IS IT I KNOW THIS SOUND!!11!"
    Of course the others didn't know what I was talking about, I quickly realized after making myself look like a fool.

Well, at least I now know that the intro sound in Coal was likely recorded at an airport. Don't know what machinery exactly made that sound, though.
    I mean, the situation was so weird, because the sound was EXACTLY, 100% the same, but the context was completely different, it was like reality was breaking apart for me. :lol:

8. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

im a music producer.. however i must say it boggles me with the sounddesign they made on meteora

9. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

What sounds? Meteora is actually extremely formulaic. Over half the songs use the same "repeating synth that enters in second verse and is buried in the chorus" (see LFY, ETR for a couple of examples) form in addition to the same overall form with the heavy buildup intros, softer verses, choruses, and whatnot. In terms of overall sound, it's just really tightly produced, from vocals to scratches. Not really any mystery, just formulaic (over)production.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  10. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

What effect is on Chester's screams in the bridge of Rebellion? You can hear it clearly on the acapella, but it's not noticeable otherwise.

11. Astat

It kind of sounds like a variant on the Waves Metaflanger plugin from the vocals on The Catalyst. Maybe not the exact same plugin, but something that has similar stereo panning options at different frequency ranges, with a pulsating kind of effect.

12. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a good (preferably free) drum sample pack that sounds like the kind of rough, lo-fi drums in Not Alone, or Welcome? I really love that sound, but I can't find anything good like it.

13. AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

Both of these links don't exist anymore. Can anyone give me new links of what he was talking about, if you can find it?

Also, two more things:
    -What is the synth in Roads Untraveled? Not the organ, but the chime sound throughout the song, mainly the intro.
    -Although no one has asked about Kyur 4th Ich, I feel that it's notable to say that at one point it has the same synth from the intro of Points of Authority, slowed down.

14. Astat

They sound like various samples of finger cymbals. An uncle on my wife's side of the family is heavily into meditation and spiritual healing and stuff like that and has some traditional Tibetan tingsha cymbals at home, they sound very similar.

15. Captain-EO

It also uses the same scratch sample as My December.

In addition to that, The Catalyst, Nobody's Listening, and Hit the Floor all use the same scratch sample.

I find it very coincidental how I said this so recently and now we have the whole damn vinyl ripped. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  16. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

The drums on those songs are actually layered with acoustic drums, so it's hard to figure out what's sample and what's not with all the processing Mike does.

I have a ton of drum samples (gigs upon gigs) and the way I get them is just by Googling for free drum sample libraries. I know that probably none of this is helpful but this is how most people get their drum sounds. Mike's been collecting his drum sounds for about 20 years, I believe, so that makes it even more tricky.

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

He has a massive variety of hardware- and software-based means of processing those sounds as well, so they might be warped beyond recognition

18. Captain-EO

Pretty much all there is to it. Though I will say that some of the drum samples in the Stagelight sample packs have been pretty useful for me in recreations.

19. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Yeah, Stagelight sounds were handpicked by Mike (and maybe the band) so you'll get close to what LP produces pretty effortlessly. I will say that Mike uses a lot of distortion on his sounds, including drums, so that contributes to the trashy, lo fi sound (which is the aesthetic he's going for). I don't think he quantizes his beats either, so it gives the music a really natural swing, rather than something perfectly lined up like a trap beat or house song.

I have an MPC 1000 that I sold but was returned to me. Mike has the same machine, maybe he can give me his card with those samples :kappa:

My MPC is still in the box though since I need it repaired.

20. Astat

Err...I don't know that I can think of beats that are much MORE quantized than what you hear in the LP-related discography. With the exception of The Messenger, I can't think of anything they've done studio-wise that doesn't follow the click perfectly. There's the occasional track like When They Come for Me that has a dotted swing kind of thing going on, but once you account for it and put it in the right time signature (either by using software that can quantize a swing rhythm in 4/4, or by just putting the whole thing in 12/8), it still aligns perfectly.