'In the Studio with Linkin Park', Brad Delson interview with PREMIERGuitar

Discussion in 'News' started by Andreina, Apr 18, 2014.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Brad Delson spoke with Adam Perlmutter of PREMIERGuitar in a lengthy interview about the recording process of 'The Hunting Party', where they discussed studio gear, the impressive equipment collection and input of trusted engineer Ethan Mates, as well as the writing and recording approach for the new album. Check out the full interview here (strongly recommended), or read some extracts below:

What do you think of the interview? Are you a studio gear enthusiast? Tell us all about it in our Forums!

Source: PREMIERGuitar via merrillmind

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

Brad is usually very criticized about his guitar playing skills, but I've always remembered watching the "Making of METEORA" DVD (when I was much younger) where he openly states that he chooses not to show off, so maybe now after 13 plus years we'll finally hear just how much Brad is capable of on guitar with THP.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

While reading the Brad guitar skill bit I immediately thought 'oh man the responses about this :lol:' .. I just had to include THAT part in the extracts, it's gonna be good :popcorn:

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Long interludes.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. :)

dutchsoldier

dutchsoldier Well-Known Member

Brad 'revealing' his guitar skills... We ain't seen nothing yet :p

Richoguy13

Richoguy13 Then it slipped away...

Each article fuels the excitement! This feels like a much bigger deal compared to 2012, interesting.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I feel like LT left me in the sort mind set of "I'll believe it when I hear it." This album cycle has been considerably less exciting than those of the past. I hope this album gets me re-excited for future happenings with the band.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The band have made five albums and embarked on countless tours. I personally have trouble believing that Delson has just been keeping his "formidable guitar skills and penchant for spontaneity" under wraps that whole time

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Considering the whole band works as a unit rather than emphasising one part or instrument to make harmonious melodies, I'm more inclined to believe it than not.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Brad's guitar skills remain to be seen. Other bands don't hesitate to show off their members' skills, but aside from Rob on TLGYA, I haven't heard anything mind-boggling from LP that any other big guitarist/bassist/DJ couldn't pull off without effort.

I'm all for making music they want to play, but can that want not be closer to can or physically able to?

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

We've seen his skills in the solos he's decided to play live. The band doesn't play In Pieces because of how inconsistent Brad is on the solo. His Bleed It Out outro is literally on a single string.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I agree. If there is one thing I dislike about the band sometimes it would be the heavy emphasis on mood and don't structure vs showing off some skill. They try to impress
    With sound design more than pure technical difficulty. We all know Phoenix is a better bass player than the band allows. Same with Mike and piano. But it's just not the type of band they are too go full tilt. I am an intermediate to advanced guitar player in a band playing rhythm, lead, solos and keys and I have to admit; some stuff on Guilty All The Same was tough for me to nail. Nothing else they have written come close to "hard" for me. So props to them. Some tricky palm muting passages, tapping parts and that sort of difficult solo.

dutchsoldier

I think it went something like this:

-Mike: "Gentlemen, I think it it's time.."
    -Phoenix: "Are we really going to?"
    -Mike: "Yes, this is where we play the..."

-Enter gang vocals-

-"THE BRAD-CARD!!!"

Explosion

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Exactly right. However, he does that outro on two strings (octaves), but still, your point is valid. He has a weird technique - which seems to limit the control he has during his playing.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Cool article.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

Mike and Phoenix haven't showed their guitar skills at fully. And multiple LPTV/LPUTV from the last couple of years, have shown that they do know how to play solos.
    It's even like this for brad, there are like.. two videos or something, where you see Brad shred on the guitars, unplugged..
    There are alot of things the band haven't showed off yet, even after 10 years of playing new things all the time.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

One thing I've noticed: He previewed 7 songs to him. Before, the tracks going around were only 5.

Which I can only assume to be mixing and completion progress. :awesome:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

He states they were still rough mixes though.

dutchsoldier

I'm very happy to read that the vocals are being brought in earlier in the proces. I think that this could will bring forth some great changes in the feel of their songs.

About the long interludes: hoping those will bring more to the record than on ATS, mostly I would love for these interludes to be able to 'stand on their own feet' and not to only work out great as a whole with the songs.