LT: My Final Thoughts

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, Apr 14, 2014.

Fury99

Fury99 4EVER LP

You got a point there. It's true that HT and Meteora are very similar but I was getting at that Meteora kinda had a more hard rock feel to it, plus there was a little more experimentation than HT had. That what I was saying when I said different.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

On a side note, and I'm not adressing anyone in particular but just talking in general, I'd like to say how much I hate that "step back" formulation. And that has nothing to do with my actual rating of the album as, despite what I've said earlier in the thread, it is still my least favorite from the band.

But I find the "step back" thing annoyingly condescending. It implies that there is a right and a wrong direction for the music (meh n°1), that you personnaly are aware of what is right and wrong (meh n°2), and that those enjoying the music from the "wrong" direction are wrong themselves (meh n°3). I don't know why you'd make such statement instead of just signaling your dislike of a particular direction, without any bigger implications.

Even if LP made a Nicki Minaj-style album, I wouldn't call it a step backwards, even though it would be a direction I'd probably hate.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Reanimation" > "A Thousand Suns" > "Living Things" and "Hybrid Theory" > "Meteora" and "Recharged" :sleep:

Serox

Serox Active Member

Can't believe some people doesn't like Burn It Down, because it sounds "mainstream". BID it's one of those songs that pump you up! When you hear it in a component, with high volume! Awesome song!

Castle of Glass, I love it! Makes me feel like I'm about to join the Army & motivates me to. One of my all-time favorite songs.

Roads Untraveled, another amazing song! Love it.

Meteora = ATS > LT > HT > MTM
    I love them all, that's just my order.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

But it does feel like a step back, especially when the band themselves were pushing ATS as a step forward. "I wasn't on some What I've Done shit", remember? They were the ones going about how the album was the way forward. How it was the next step on LP's constantly evolving sound. How they were bored with radio friendly. And then, less than two years later, boom: another radio friendly album, filled to the brim with "What I've Done shit". So I'd say it's the band's fault, not the fans'.

Qwerty19

^ "Stuff". Well made, sir :lol:

But yeah, I guess I'm not trying to start a debate on this, just expressing my dislike for this choice of words that I've often seen used for LT. Keep in mind that one "step backward" might always be a "step forward" in the mind of another.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Well, that was exactly my point. It definitely wasn't a step forward for them two albums ago.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

To those complaining about "Taking a step back," sometimes you need to take a step back to leap forward.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

But you usually have better momentum to leap forward by stepping forward instead.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Unless you needed to give yourself more room. :bradwink:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

If you don't have enough room to step forward, you shouldn't be leaping forward anyways.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

One step closer to the edge doods

leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

In general I like heavy music but my favorite songs tend to be the softer ones.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

It's hard to chose a favorite LP album for me but I'd say MTM is the worst one...

Also, although LT might be a bit less experimental than ATS, a step back is clearly the wrong word for it. Actually, pushing the same thing further would've been a step backwards.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

"Reanimation" = "A Thousand Suns" > "Hybrid Theory"> "Living Things" = "Minutes to Midnight" > "Meteora" > "Recharged"

I personally think this album is a decent alternative record but ends up feeling a little underwhelming compared to ATS. A lot of the songs have the same structure, and they use a little too much of the LP Tool box in my opinion.
    In My Remains has a lyrical disconnect between Chesters and Mikes part(but i personally love the verses), I'll be Gone and Lost in the Echo are good songs but nothing speciel.
    Lies Greed Misery was a true firecracker - Awesome the first couple of times and then the gas ran out. And Burn it Down is one of the bands WORST songs(IMO, just feels so generic)
    Tracks like Victimized, Skin to Bone and Roads Untraveled are amazing.
    Castle of Glass has amazing lyrics but boring instrumentals and build up, while Untill It breaks just felt kinda unsatisfying.
    Overall a decent record: 7/10.

I don't get the massive love for MTM.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the record.
    I will say overall MTM is a better record, despite having parts with boring instrumentals and a little too much U2 influence(lol)
    Not too long ago I went back and listened to the whole thing, and some of the tracks just feel kinda naked.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Minutes To Midnight never even happened.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Living Things was probably the band's worst album, although it did have some great moments. Castle of Glass and Lost In The Echo showcased some of the band's best but ultimately this album was full of tracks that felt generic and rushed. I wouldn't say it's a bad album, and I feel anything that followed up ATS was going to struggle to get anywhere near that level of creativity, but overall it was disappointing by LP's standards. Recharged was also fairly disappointing despite containing some stellar remixes.

My rank is as follows:

01. A Thousand Suns
    02. Hybrid Theory
    03. Reanimation
    04. Minutes To Midnight
    05. Meteora
    06. Living Things
    07. Recharged

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Hybrid Theory = Reanimation > Meteora > Minutes To Midnight > A Thousand Suns > Living Things. (btw Collision Course and Recharged never happened.)

Hybrid Theory and Reanimation are masterpieces, no doubt about that.
    Even though Meteora is lesser version of HT, and lyrically all songs are about nothing, it is catchy and fun to listen to. Plus, it has a great nostalgia value to me, and I would probably hate it if they would release something like it now.
    Moving on to MTM. The thing with this album is that half the songs are great (In Pieces, WID, Bleed It Out, Valentine's Day, No More Sorrow, LOATR), and couple of songs are just meh (Wake, Given Up, Shadow, In Between, The Little Things) and there's the worst song ever (Hands Held High)... so the album as a whole is very inconsistent.
    On the other side, ATS is good as a whole, but other than WTCFM, BITS and W&K, I just don't connect with the rest of the songs. I mean, The Catalyst is okay in theory, but I never feel like listening to it.
    Lastly, Living Things feels very rushed and lacks "the greatness" that comes with every LP album. Some songs are good (In My Remains, Powerless), but none of them has the magic and the tiny details that you pick up after months (or even years) of listening to. Most of the lyrics, just like on Meteora, are about nothing. At least Meteora had crushing guitars to make up for it's weaknesses.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Qwerty19

Oh well, since I didn't give mine...

Hybrid Theory > A Thousand Suns = Reanimation > Meteora > Minutes To Midnight > Living Things > Recharged.

Though, there isn't a single one I really dislike

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Burn it Down and castle of glass were my highlights, burn it down sounds actually like a correct form of music. While lost in the echo may sound deep and dark at the beginning and leading up to something, it really leads up to nothing. Castle of glass would have been nice if it stayed 6:00 like when mike said it during the interviews. Skin to bone has a nice backround but has really boring lyrics. Powerless has some instrumental detail but lacks depth. I'm my remains is a joke, and I'll be gone is blank they even wasted 3:00 out of my concert to play that shit song. And tinfoil is pretty good but isn't something I would listen to as enjoyment. Until it breaks is just a weird rap battle, then Brad comes in randomly. Victimized is nice when I'm in a pissed off mood. LIES GREED MISERY isn't bad, has a more upbeat chorus which is nice.

Overall living things was very "choppy" in the style of music. I would consider the album split into two. (LT. Part 1 and part 2). Very boring album except burn it down and castle of glass. The only time I listen to castle of glass is on their music video, which adds a good minute intro onto it.

Overall: was a waste of two years and should have been way more productive in the process. I really do wonder what they did for a whole year because idk how you make that album sound like shit and say you spent time on it. Very disappointed. If I was able to have a studio like that for two years I could still make a better album than they did. It really sounds like they spent a year on tour not doing anything, then realized and made a quick album.

Overall score: 6/10

Overall hype LT got before it released: 9/10

Production score: .5/10

Hopefully THP will make us proud and will not sound as bad as LT

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014