Stanford Interview Video With Mike Shinoda Talks Creativity, Inspiration and Writing Music

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Apr 10, 2014.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Stanford University is offering an online course titled "Creativity: Music to My Ears" in which Mike Shinoda is assisting with. For those who are participating in the course, Stanford sent out a video featuring The Executive Director Of Stanford Technology Ventures Program, Tina Seelig, interviewing Mike Shinoda as a teaser for the upcoming session with him. In the interview, they talk about the creativity put into Linkin Park projects, early writing, and inspiration. The 13-minute long video offers a creative insight that we normally don't hear or see. I highly recommend blocking out the time to check it out.

[video=vimeo;91348737]http://vimeo.com/91348737[/video]​

For those of you using mobile devices where the embedded video won't show up, the video can be seen here.

If you are still interested in participating in the online course, there is still time to sign up.

What do you think of the video? Was there anything in it that surprised you? Are you attending the online course? Stop by our forums and let us know what you think!

Source: Stanford Tech Ventures Program Via Florian

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

But I love music videos...

I understand he said that they're not going away, but I gotta admit that I was a little heartbroken when he said that making music videos has become boring to him lately.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

It certainly explains the innovation behind the Guilty All The Same Spark project.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Pretty interesting stuff he said about forcing lyrics into songs, most notably "Somewhere I Belong". It really shows in that song.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Right? My heart sunk a little :(. Music videos are always my favorite part of the album cycle. Oh well.

Minus is just going to eat this shit up.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

The interviewer was freaking me out.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Yeah his comments on music videos kind of explains how they've been... *cough* lacking since Burn It Down onward.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The woman in this interview is trying to force Mike to work with the topic in much the same fashion that the band, as Mike describes, tried to fit good music into Somewhere I Belong.

And like Somewhere I Belong, this lady failed miserably.

xEsaul

xEsaul Well-Known Member

I enjoyed hearing Mike's thoughts, but my lord. This woman.

Mercedes AMG

Mercedes AMG Vrooom vroooom!!

Castle of Glass?

AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

That was interesting, even though the interviewer was kind of idk....scary? haha
    I do hope that they will keep making music videos.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Literally the only good one out of the bunch in the last half-dozen years.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

^True story

Also I would just like to say that I am not really a fan of this "interactive" phase the band is having. They just don't pull it off well. You are more like to get me excited or involved in somethinv by just putting a great creative effort. Like the bands MFR stuff, that kind of thing inspires me and makes me want to get involved becsuse I see great things and want to be part of it. I don't want my facebook pictures in a fucking music video...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

I actually really like the Burning in the Skies music video. The video is pretty emotional, which I guess can be credited towards having good actors but I quite like the presentation of "just another night" and how much a nuclear bomb can impact people on a personal level. But I agree, LT had some really lackluster music videos, and while Castle of Glass was the best of the bunch it still looked comical with the inclusion of video game footage.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Iridescent" was the last LP music video that I truly liked. After that ... "Burn It Down" wasn't awful, and everything else simply hasn't been to my taste at all.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Honestly, thinking about it, I don't know why the ATS videos get a bad rap. Buts was good, iridescent was good, The Catalyst wasn't bad, WFTE was a little boring but its just one video. I thought Burn it Down was really bad though. LITE as I mentioned before was nonsense. COG was good though.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Please don't trade out music videos for shitty interactive games.

Although their videos have been shit for the most part since Meteora, I still believe that with the right creative minds music videos can be a great tool to enhance the listening experience.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

All of this.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Agreed. I'm certain that the unique multimedia partnerships with video games, gadgets, etc. weren't projects they sought after and invested with themselves, so I'm not sure why both can't be achieved at the same time.