Favorite album of all time

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by snowblue, Mar 25, 2014.

snowblue

snowblue You know the blue snow?

As the title states: Name your favorite album of all time. A brief explanation is also welcomed. Obviously you like your albums for different reasons, but if you have to choose one, which would it be?

My favorite album is A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park - mostly since the concept is just outstanding. Not only are the songs brilliant, and in perfect contrast to each other. They also seem to fit my mood no matter what I'm in. Individually, I wouldn't give any song a 10/10 though, which is pretty funny.

The music videos from that era was superb, and has given me a lot of chills throughout the years (still does). The simplicity of the artwork for the album and the singles were extremely cool (except the one Iridescent got), and matched perfectly to the songs. It was a close call between ATS and The Marshall Mathers LP though.

ATS_lpblast.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I have two actually:

Tool - 10.000 Days
    View attachment 7023
    Tool have sort of amalgamated their previous musical outlets, threw in some new edges, and this was the product - pure sonic bliss, a hurricane of a record capable of rendering many musicians creative minds useless and despaired. Listen and learn.

Maynard is a legend. He is amongst the best singers of his generation.
    In this album, MJK takes us through a journey of the human psyche, and his interaction with (what he sees as) blind faith, and of course, more songs about drugs. MJK is one of the best lyricists I have ever had the privelige to listen to, and his lyrics can mean many things to many people.

Not all the songs are "amazing" but they all seem to create some kind of atmosphere and the musicianship on this record is amazing as well.

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture
    View attachment 7024
    With this album, Rise Against reminded us what real raw punk-rock really is. Everything on this album is PURE GOLD

When it comes to lyrics, Rise Against showed us what a punk rock band should write about. With all those teenage punk rockers whining about how much life sucks and what happened after they lost their love(even through there are "relationship" songs on the record), I almost forgot there could be any sense in punk music lyrics. Rise Against write poetically angry lyrics, desperate, but with the hope somewhere in the distance.
    I am amazed by how incredibly well-written they are -- the words are strong enough to stand alone without the music - WHICH IS AMAZING
    Their lyrics are surprisingly clever and truly heartfelt: "It's not the end that I fear/It's life that scares me to death."
    but can be angry and political at the same time:
    "Head hung from shame we bear a weight that brings me to a crawl
    These years of longing tell of decades of unanswered calls
    For a change, cause everyday we slip and fall
    Kicked while were down, our fists clenched into a ball"

+ Tim McIlrath is not only one of the greatest writers in music but also has one of the most charismatic vocals i have ever heard.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I think I have to go with NIN- The Fragile. It was like a religious experience the first time I listened. It just puts such vivid imagery in my head and I connected with on such a deep level. It inspires me creatively as well. So I think I had to choose one, if I was stranded on a deserted island and could only play one album the rest of my life. That one would be alright.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Dream Theater - Metropolis, Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

[​IMG]

A concept album telling the story of a man haunted by a woman named "Victoria" in his nightmares. What may seem like just dreams, slowly unfolds to be something else entirely, as he tries to explain who Victoria is, and why she appears to him.

This album truly is a Progressive masterpiece. Scenes from a Memory has some of the best balance of song-writing and instrumental wanking I've ever heard. Every band member is top notch here. It also helps that the album tells one hell of a story. If I had a desert island album, this would be among one of my top picks.

[video=youtube;e_6KkRgQyos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6KkRgQyos[/video]

The Beatles - Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

[​IMG][​IMG]

Do I even need to elaborate on these two? Nope.

[video=youtube;0ZulzvVnFzo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZulzvVnFzo[/video]

[video=youtube;oULZNUbuTMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULZNUbuTMs[/video]

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Probably this.

[thumb]http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Alice-in-Chains-Black-Gives-Way-to-Blue-Large.jpg[/thumb]

EDIT:

Why? I don't even know. It was in January last year that I decided to check out Alice in Chains, and it was this album I listened to first. It got me hooked. Since then, I doubt there has been a month that I didn't listen to this album (I listen to music by listening to albums from start to finish), and since The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here came out I've been listening to them like they're a double album. I like the older AiC albums too, but I suppose I prefer the organized, polished, and pretty much perfect sound of these two. Alice in Chains aren't even one of my top three bands, but I can't say I'm addicted to any other albums as much as I am to them. I chose Black instead of Dinosaurs simply because the prior was the first.

I'd also like to mention some other albums that are dear to me:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

I have about four albums, that are my all time favorites.

4) Welcome Oblivion by How to Destroy Angels

howtodestroyangelswelcomeoblivion-1361814289.jpg

I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. It is perfect in every way for me, since it is just what I needed. A long, dark, ambient, atmospheric Electronic record. Mariqueen Maandig's vocals complement the soundscapes so well. Hypnotizing experience.

3) A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park

linkin-park-a-thousand-suns-official-album-cover.jpg

No words. This album just blew me away. I also credit it for expanding my horizons, introducing me to other great artists and albums (Like Kid A, since there were a lot of comparisons). This was basically a starting point, back in 2011, which led me to listen loads of other artists, which I would have probably not listened to, otherwise. I have doubts whether as to Linkin Park will ever be able to top this. This album is a journey of epic proportions.

2) Kid A by Radiohead

3a281a9e82da7315021a2334ea99a51d2e3dd5cc.jpg

Again, I can't express how much this album means to me. While ATS introduced me to this, this was where it all truly started. It's what got me interested in more experimental, more subtle forms of music. I'm one of those few people who got introduced to Radiohead through Kid A, (since it usually happens with OK Computer, In Rainbows or songs like Creep). I found it weird at first, but I continued listening to it, something made me want to (I have this habit of stopping an album if I don't like the first 4-5 songs, and then give it another chance later, if I feel like.) So hypnotic and amazing, it still gives me the chills every time I listen to it, and when I listened to OK Computer, it was almost impossible to believe they could follow it up that well. This has to be one of the best albums ever made. Easily.

1) The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails

the-downward-spiral-cover-art.jpg

This album has influenced and inspired me as a Musician so much. The amazing and complex industrial sounds, samples, synths, guitars are all mixed so well, it gives it a perfect sound. The concept/story is also very strong, very dark, gripping, and makes this album even more stunning. While the sound is what makes it what it is, it has had an equally strong emotional effect on me too, which is exactly why it is at 1 on my list, and will probably always be.

Honorable Mentions :

The Wall by Pink Floyd
    Absolution by Muse
    Revolver by The Beatles
    Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
    Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails
    Lonerism by Tame Impala
    Cruel Melody by Black Light Burns
    The Eraser by Thom Yorke

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

[​IMG][​IMG]

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Can't really decide (all of them hold some sentimental value)

Either this one:
    my favorite Punk/Melodic-Hardcore album of all time!
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    IMO a Metal-classic and one of the greatest thrash albums of all time!
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    THE album that got me into heavier/heavy music!
    [​IMG]

or this one:
    Been a fan since the HT era and this still holds so many memories! That album changed my perception of music and paved my way into Rock-music (it was the first Rock-album I listened to as a kid; before then I only listened to Radio/Pop-music)
    [​IMG]

honorable mentions:
    Becoming The Archetype-Dichotomy
    The Chariot-One Wing
    August Burns Red-Rescue & Restore/Constellations
    Sleeping Giant-Kingdom Days In An Evil Age
    Enter Shikari-A Flash Flood of Colour
    For Today-Portraits

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

HMs that are near and dear to me:

The Fray- How to Save A Life (probably 3rd favorite)
    The National- Boxer (2nd favorite)
    MGMT- Oracular Spectacular
    Blink-182- Neighborhoods
    Blink-182- Blink-182
    Blink-182- Enema of the State
    Sigur Ros- ()

might be forgetting some

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.

That guitar tone.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Pretty much this.

Bruno

Bruno Each word gets lost in the echo...

bringmethehorizonsempiternalcover.jpg

masterpiece, both lyricwise and instrumentally.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Im gonna change mine a bit.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I honestly can't rank one above another. Three way tie I guess.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Glad to see fellow BMTH fans on here :)