CD's:How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by sup103, Jun 17, 2003.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Well, even so. A record company most likely wont listen to a band, consdiering they just paid them all that money to make the album. They have to make that money back somehow. [/b][/quote]
    Yea, they make all that money back from record sales, merchandise, etc. But, a band also wants to seel a good amount of records to please the record company. If a band doesn't do well on record sales, the record label may drop them.

LProckon

LProckon Well-Known Member

I gave up on going to music stores in the mall *ahem*Sam Goody*ahem* because the prices are ridiculous. Go to places like Target or Best Buy. But I would usually just go to the small music stores. One around here is Rasputin Music. New CD's aren't too expensive, I've gotten some for maybe $10-$13. The used CD's are way cheap and they sell in good quality, the cheapest I've bought was $4.95!

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I used to spend $20 on cds a lot. I hated every minute of it.
    My city just recently got a Best Buy and I was actually happy to see cd's for $6.99, $9.99, $11.99 etc. :)
    No more spending $20 for a cd for me! :D

Rybullet

Rybullet Well-Known Member

No they don't.

The record company's pay a band to make an album. Let's say Linkin Park got paid 5 million to make Meteora. Meteora could have sold 100 albums total, world wide, Linkin Park would have still got paid 5 million. [/b][/quote]
    Are you sure about that........ I think that it is only when you have a record deal do you get paid to make a CD...... I remember reading somewhere that Godsmack had to pay money out of their own pockets to make their first CD..

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

If you call 23 bucks for the Meteora Special Edition cheap, then something is wrong with you. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was on sale as well.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Cds are way to much. The cheapest I have ever found one is $18. I want to buy the Unloco cd, but it is $35. There is NO way I am paying that much for it... thats just stupid... :angry:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

If you call 23 bucks for the Meteora Special Edition cheap, then something is wrong with you. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was on sale as well. [/b][/quote]
    holy #### that is expensive. It was 15 bucks when it came out!

Unloco's CD cost me 12 bucks at best buy, 35 is expensive but probably since you're in Austrilia. It would probably be cheaper to buy it at Amazon.com and pay international shipping charges.

Magick

Magick Ambient

I've stopped going to most chain record stores (Sam Goody :whistle: ). I get my CDs from this independently-owned record store where no CD is more than $13. It's just that it takes me about 45 minutes to get there so I don't go often.
    I do like places like Best Buy and Target, though. But don't go to Wal-Mart 'cause one of my teachers said that they edit cursing without putting on the sticker sometimes.

About the high CD prices... I heard there actually was a conspiracy by record companies to charge high prices for CDs, and for a while on www.musiccdsettlement.com (I'm not sure if they're still doing it), you could find out how to get up to $20 back if you bought a CD from 1995 (I think? I read this a while ago) to 2000.

Todd

Yep, Wal Mart only sells censored versions because little kids cant hear words like "hell". Yet, if I was old enough, after picking up a censored version of a disc in the electronics department, I can head on over to the guns department and get me a rifle or 2.

I get most of my CDs at Target because they're unedited and I get 10% off CDs there :whistle:

elie

elie Well-Known Member

They don't sell guns anymore (I heard something about it on the news, that they will no longer be supplying such things).

BTW, the guns were for hunting with a hunting license? I don't know for sure, correct me if i'm wrong.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

holy #### that is expensive. It was 15 bucks when it came out!

Unloco's CD cost me 12 bucks at best buy, 35 is expensive but probably since you're in Austrilia. It would probably be cheaper to buy it at Amazon.com and pay international shipping charges. [/b][/quote]
    Uhh... I'm from Canada. :wth:

Stuey_345

Stuey_345 Well-Known Member

I would think that with things like Kazaa, retailers would lower CD prices. Some people, like me, download cd's only because they are too expensive to buy. i would buy all my cd's if they were cheaper.

However, i would never download a LP cd. I will always support them and PURCHASE their cd's no matter what the price

CinnamonSpider

CinnamonSpider Well-Known Member

i know, what's up with walmart?
    they will no longer have Maxim magazines? (yes, i read them :D it's better than girl magazines!) that's absurd! :angry:

Yep, record stores like Tower Records, Sam Goody, and Warehouse Music(well, they closed most of their locations.) have unreasonable CD prices! $17.99 for a CD with about 14 tracks? If the CD contained other features like LP's Meteora, i wouldn't mind paying that price. Linkin Park made the CD worth buying; they took the time to make a DVD documenting the process of making an album and a booklet containing their artwork. :) Which stresses the fact they do not take their success for granted. Other bands and Recod Labels don't try anymore, and that's why many people turn to downloading their music instead and then they complain about losing money :rolleyes:

Enough of that, i buy my CDs for $9.99 at Best Buy :D
    their CDs are really cheap, maybe because they mostly sell appliances and make most of their money on them and they could set their CD prices really low ^_^ whatever it may be, they ######' rock!

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Uhh... I'm from Canada. :wth: [/b][/quote]
    He was talking to me ^_^

It cost me about 30 for Meteora.

I might do what you said, Todd. I will just have to look and stuff. Either that or I will wait till the price goes down.

Todd

even if the guns were for a hunting license, you can hurt someone more with a gun than you can with the word "f**k"

I agree with Stuey. I'd buy CDs if they weren't so dang expensive. Despite the fact I have a fast cable modem, downloading from Kazaa is a pain in the ass. Finding 14 songs, then worrying that they're either crappy sound quality, fakes, cut off at the end, whatever is a female dog. Then you dont even get the original artwork and stuff that came with it. By the time I download and burn a sucessful, decent sounding CD, I could have driven to a CD store and back, but while some CDs are 15 bucks, it isnt worth it.