Hannibal

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Lee, Aug 12, 2013.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Wilnibal.

But don't double post.

Gibs

I'm sorry, I just wanted to share the awesome last shot! :cry:

Jesse

Also how could you not know she was gay when she told Will that she didn't have proclivities for the opposite gender's parts multiple times? :X

Gibs

I must have been have listening at that part.

Jesse

So. Episode 11, oh my.

Verger loves making them kids cry and making Martearnis.

Anyway, do you think that Hannibal intentionally manipulated Mason into killing Margot's and Will's unborn child and utterly destroying Margot's womanly bits?

I think that Hannibal was absolutely genuine about talking to Will about Hannibal and is truly sorry that he took her away from him but I also think that Hannibal wants to keep Will all to himself.

Gibs

Mason Verger dude, that's one despicable bastard. He LITERALLY drinks children's tears!

The way I saw it, Hannibal intentionally manipulated all of that to kill Mason, not necessarily to get rid of the child, in which Will didn't kill Mason

Killing the baby was a step....
    [video=youtube;CWILhrSzw5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o[/video]

BTW, Michael Pitt would make an awesome fucking Joker.

Jesse

I took it as that Hannibal manipulated Mason Verger to kill Will's unborn child so that Will will kill Mason Verger but that Will realized that and instead is going to manipulate Mason into attempting to kill Hannibal so that Hannibal will try to kill Mason himself. Will wants Hannibal caught, Hannibal wants Will to be sorely his and no one elses.

Gibs

Hmmm, interesting. :obama: I don't necessarily see how Mason's said attempted murder would help expose Hannibal, so I'm not quite sure about that. You know a lot more about Hannibal lore than I do though.

Jesse

I know nothing you do not know. I know everything you wish to know. I am shiva in your nightmares.

The stag atop your head. The reckoning you've longed for.

I mean, whaaaaaaaaaat?

Gibs

:lol:

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

The only thing that's been bothering me recently is that they haven't said much of anything about Chilton or Miriam since their little incident. It wasn't exactly my favorite part of the overarching plot, but it's kind of odd that no one in that universe has even brought it up in the last four episodes.

Anyway, the last two episodes have been some of the best in the whole series. Everything from the writing to the acting (Michael Pitt!) to the visuals has been on point.

Jesse

WINNER. :)

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

binged till season 2 ep 11

i loved the visuals, some of the acting, the creepy atmosphere etc. but there were some glaring issues that bothered me since season 1. first off the FBI and Jack Crawford must be the dumbest detectives ever if they don't think Hannibal has something sinster about him.

i was laughing at how everyone at the FBI so easily bought that Chilton is the Cheasepeke Ripper... like none of these seasoned detectives question the shady circumstances under which this whole thing came to light?! then who ends up raising doubts.... oooh some fucking reporter!

people keep dropping dead around Hannibal, he gets accused of being a murderer... and then next episode Crawford acts there's nothing wrong. as if all the shadiness surrounding Hannibal has been wiped clean.

I couldn't believe how easily Jack came to conclusion that Will was the murderer at the start of this season... you're telling me, a guy who you've known for years and have helped you solve a million case is all of a sudden a murderer? and you're not gonna look into it beyond the surface? c'mon now!

then there are the crime scenes... while most of them are over the top and unbelievable, the one that i could not buy AT ALL was the murder of the judge. how the hell would any killer, no matter how brilliant he might be, get away with murdering a judge in that fashion inside a court house? absolutely ridiculous.

the whole Dr. Bloom/Hannibal love plotline (or whatever the hell that is) made very little sense. her whole character, like many others in the show, keeps bouncing from wall to wall in terms of what they believe and whose side they take. one minute they doubt Hannibal, the next its Will.. then its Will and Hannibal both. there is very little consistency in that regard.

also i still don't know what Will exactly does for the FBI. he closes his eyes and sees how the murders happened? isn't that like... guesswork and shouldn't that be extremely unreliable? yet most of his 'visions' are somehow accurate and that's all Jack Crawford seems to base his whole investigation on.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Jesse

I think you missed a lot of the subtly. Don't think Jack ever thought Clilton was the ripper. He and Will have been playing Hannibal ever since Jack tested his dinner party meat. They have to keep everyone out of the loop, except Freddy (due to circumstance) in order to not attract Hannibal's suspicions.

Dr. Bloom's romance with Hannibal is in character. She wished to have an affair with him during her schooling, but it never happened. Based upon preconceived opinions of his character she'd find it very hard to see him in any other light, and doing so would mean that she would have to question her own judgement. She does not feel safe in doing that but fortunately, Jack and Will's manipulation are forcing her to question herself and the activities that are surrounding her.

Otherwise, it's a fantastical drama/thriller. Some elements are just going to be unrealistic. When you come to accept this it will make the show better, trust me.

Agent

Okay, episode 11's ending kind of explains the Clilton/Ripper plotline. I still don't like the way Bloom/Lecter romance started and where it went. Like I said, the characters' beliefs keep bouncing from wall to wall in almost every episode without any substantial reasoning behind it.

They gloss over many minute plot details, like Dr. Abel's broken back and his disappearance from the hospital, the killing of the guard etc. A better show would deal with these issues in a more graceful and logical way. Speaking of which, Beverly going out on her own and breaking into Hannibal's lair seemed like such a textbook "Character about to get offed because of stupid decision" storytelling.

I really want to like this season, and I do too to an extent. But these glaring issues always ended up leaving a bitter taste.

I think the show's real strength lies in the presentation, the visuals, atmosphere, the acting/inter-play between the leads and the music. At its core it has some gems but they often get overshadowed by the things I mentioned above.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Gibs

To be fair, the show has never really existed in our world. Hannibal, to me, isn't necessarily over the top, it just exists as a "heightened sense of reality," as someone on IGN once put it. It isn't completely over the top, but it definitely isn't realistic either. Me, I love the kills, and look forward week to week how they will top themselves, and make them even crazier, though that isn't the sole draw for me. :)

Agent

I can definitely see that, esp with all the weird imagery... but there's a limit to which you can suspend your disbelief. Imo, this "heightened sense of reality" is detrimental to the quality of story telling.

Like a painstakingly plated dish, "Hannibal" dazzles with sumptuous visual style. Yet all those amazing ingredients add up to an experience more akin to a strip-mall buffet than fine dining.

This review on season 1 really nails it on the head I think: http://articles.redeyechicago.com/2...8255785_1_hannibal-lecter-graham-bryan-fuller

Gibs

Dude, seriously, HOLY SHIT, how in the world do they get away with this on NBC?! That's some sick shit!

This episode further proves my point that Michael Pitt NEEDS to play The Joker! In the scenes were here was all drugged up, he basically was The Joker, and it was fucking awesome! Seriously, for The DC Movie Universe, Michael Pitt should be Joker, NO ONE ELSE.

Hannibal's face when Mason stabbed the chair though; Mason's fate was sealed right then and there.

TV Quote of the Decade: "I am full of myself!" - Mason Verger

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Agent

I initially wasn't too hot on Michael Pitt's performance, but I guess I'm warming up to it. He sounds really over the top in the context of the show.

Great episode though. I knew his face was gonna get fucked up the moment his character was introduced (thanks to the Hannibal film of 2001).

It's crazy how much violence there is in this show... how the hell do they get away with it on network tv is beyond me!

-

This scene was absolutely insane!

[thumb]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10258027_721370101219096_5831458274559605320_n.jpg[/thumb]

Last edited: May 18, 2014