LPA Monthly Mix-Up November 2012: Castle Of Glass Free-For-All

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 5, 2012.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

[​IMG]

NOVEMBER 2012

But first, for those who don't know...

What Is the LPA Monthly Mix-Up?
    LPA Monthly Mix-Up is a new and ambitious concept intended to showcase the massive amount of musical talent currently unheard among the Linkin Park fan community. Every month, we here at the LPA will be challenging fans to compete and show off their musical skills, using any and all tools available to them to create their entry. At the conclusion of each competition period, our staff will then go through each entry submitted, and pick our absolute favorite to be featured on the site as the "Winner Of The Month" with the next round of competition starting the moment the winner from the previous month is chosen. To promote fairness, runner ups will also be shown, but only one Linkin Park fan will walk away with the honor of being featured as the "Monthly Winner"

So, How Does It Work? (Official Rules)
    In order to make the contest more interesting and more challenging for those who enter, every month we will be posting a theme that all entrants are required to abide by to be considered for feature on the site. There will be no limitations on key, BPM or length (so go ahead and make a 10 minute entry!), but each submission MUST adhere to the genre (or genres) provided by us to be eligible for the competition.

Users must submit their entry as a reply to the this thread, and may use SoundCloud or YouTube to host their works. All SoundCloud submissions must feature THIS GRAPHIC as the album art, and likewise all YouTube videos must contain the aforementioned graphic in some format with the words "LPASSOCIATION.COM Monthly Mix-Up Entry:" appearing somewhere within the video/soundcloud upload title. This is done to help spread word about the monthly competitions so that more submissions can be made possible.

[Note: Including the above graphic in your submission (as either soundcloud album art, or somewhere in your youtube video) is a requirement. Failure to do so will make your entry unable to be considered in the competition. ALSO IF YOU USE SOUNDCLOUD, PLEASE ENABLE DOWNLOADS OF YOUR TRACK AS WELL AS EMBEDDING.]

ALSO ALL ENTRIES MUST BE COMPLETELY ORIGINAL, AND MAY NOT CONTAIN BACKGROUND MUSIC FROM ANOTHER ARTIST. THIS IS YOUR OWN WORK, APART FROM THE LINKIN PARK VOCALS.

To keep in good standing with Warner Bros Records, The Linkin Park Association will NOT be providing links to legit instrumentals/multitracks at this time (due to licensing/copyright restrictions), so it is the sole responsibility of the entrants to obtain the files needed to create their entries. It is possible (and very easy) to find these tracks via a search in Google, however; to protect ourselves we will not be hosting these files until we one day hopefully receive permission from Warner Brothers to do so.

How Can I Enter?
    Easy! Just upload your submission to Soundcloud/YouTube following the rules above, and submit it via a reply to this thread. At the end of this month (December 1st 2012) we will go through every submission and pick our favorite(s) for feature on the front page of the LPA. We encourage everyone to submit their entries (regardless of technical/musical/vocal proficiency) as we really would like this project to become something that every fan feels welcome to become involved in. The staff here all agree that the music community for Linkin Park has for the most part (apart from official competitions) gone completely unnoticed, and this is our way of giving attention to fans out there looking to get their talents heard!

Now That We Have That Out Of The Way...

Our official theme for the month of NOVEMBER 2012 is:

CASTLE OF GLASS FREE FOR ALL

Continuing in the tradition of previous Free-For-All months, it's time for you to all become cracks in this castle of glass, and give us your best entry for this month's LPA Monthly Mix-Up: CASTLE OF GLASS! Using any genre you like (with the exception of mashups), create your own amazing remix of CASTLE OF GLASS for entry in this month's competition. Entries must contain all original music, and may not sample or use the background music of any other artist (although you may use instruments from CASTLE OF GLASS if you wish). The only requirement is that you remix CASTLE OF GLASS. The genre, BPM, length etc...is all yours to choose! With this month marking the release of the CASTLE OF GLASS music video and with the official instrumental/acapella having been made publicly available, we thought there would be no better way to celebrate Linkin Park's newest single than making COG the focus of this month's competition. Here is your chance to show off your true talents, by remixing in a genre you feel most comfortable with: your own. May the best remix win!

TVTV

TVTV Active Member

I already started working on a Castle of Glass remix on my own free will, so this is nice timing. I know nothing about remixing however -- time stretching and beat-matching are new to me and it's becoming the only focus rather than actually remixing the song. I remember Trent Reznor having his remix stems for Year Zero and they were perfectly cut into loops you were able to drop in, at any tempo. No need to time-stretch or anything. Just wish LP would do the same, but it's understandable that they'd expect a computer musician to understand remixing basics.

Wish everyone luck on their remixes.

MajiksMonster

MajiksMonster Producer/Musician

Can't wait to get started on this. I'll probably give it a go right now.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

I don't know if its just random but i worked on a Dubstep Edit of my actual Castle of Glass Remix.
    So this is perfect :)
    Finished it yesterday and wanted to upload it actually in 2 weeks but for that contest i was able to upload it today :D

Here we go :)

I Hope you like it!

[video=youtube;CVMgiTVkrKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMgiTVkrKM[/video]

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This month should be great.

MajiksMonster

Alright. Worked my ass off on this. Hope you like it!!

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Sounds good so far, you guys! MajiksMonster, I really enjoyed that mix, good luck in the mix-up. Patrick, great work as always. :thumbsup:

MajiksMonster

Thank you very much. I wasn't expecting to be finished so quickly but I really feel like I have a shot this time.

Nook

Nook the noise manipulator.

Here's my submission. I made as Dreamulacrum (my guitar oriented music project) and it was a part of "Killing Things" - a remix album I did recently. This rendition is a mix of acoustic folk rock and extreme metal influences. Even though the original version is pretty mellow, I think my "power-up" suits the track nicely. Hope you like it :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Damn these are some amazing mixes!

Dismantle

Dismantle First person to create a 'Robot Boy' Remix

DJIntensity

DJIntensity Well-Known Member

Are you ready?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    bartis

bartis New Member

roBot

roBot Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Phobia

Phobia megoraphobia

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    roBot

roBot Well-Known Member

very calm remix... nice one! I like how the original melody is wrapped into the soundscape in the beginning and the whole track builds up this way...

btw to embed the soundcloud player you have to click on the share button on the track > go to Edit your widget > choose the code at the bottom of the popup
    should be:
    Code:
    [soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/[COLOR="#FF8C00"]68040181[/COLOR]" params="show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=ff5e00" width="100%" height="81" iframe="false" /]
    copy the ID and place like this ["soundcloud"]ID["/soundcloud"]
    but leave the ""

Phobia

Phobia megoraphobia

thanks a lot roBot! :D

MajiksMonster

It's pretty good. Vocals just seem a bit loud until about 2:50 to me. Other than that, I like it quite a bit. I really, really like the guitar or synth or whatever it is that comes in around 2:50 as well.

MajiksMonster

The drums seem a bit simple and I felt like the drums and wubs were repetitive and maybe there could have been less wub wubs. It's almost like they're competing with the vocals and it takes away from the experience a bit. The remix could be great if you added more depth, really work on some percussion and drop some of the dupstep or added a nice drop somewhere. Other than that, the track has a lot of potential.